Revisit difference between Apex XTX50/100/200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bettaninja

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
My husband and I are trying to find the differences between the XTX50/100/200 regs.

I have read a few different things across lots of posts on Scubaboard and also read this thread:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/148792-apeks-xtx50-100-200-differences.html
According to my "research" the changes between 2nd stages are mostly cosmetic. The XTX50 takes a DST (swivel) but you can opt for a DS4 and the others use either FST or FSR.

I still have some questions that I was hoping someone could help out with:
- what is the advantage of the angled high pressure ports on the 100 and 200?
- what is a removable ARCAP valve seat (I did a search and can't find much info on this)
- does the XTX100 take an optional extra hose swivel connection (is this really beneficial anyway?). I've read that the XTX50 and XTX200 both take optional swivel connections but I haven't seen that the XTX100 does.

The usual bio:
- we are new to diving having just completed our OWC.
- we both want to get our advanced, hubby is particularly interested in wreck diving, deep diving, diving with nitrox
- some of our diving would be on holidays to tropical climates but most of our diving would be done in Sydney and around Australia - not sure if this will constitute cold water diving? (although all 3 can be used in cold water).
- we want to ensure we can "grow" into our gear purchase

Any further insight would be helpful!

Yes the XTX50 comes with the DST first stage (with the swivel turret). I had a DST and hated it, the LP hoses always seemed to move around when gearing up. You can buy an XTX50 with the DS4 instead, I would highly recommend that over the stock XTX50 based on my personal experiences with both first stages. (That, and the DS4 costs less.)

The angled ports shouldn't be a deal breaker, but they are nice. IMO the FST (aka: Flathead) first stages have the LP hoses come at the top and the HP hose angled slightly down with the diaphragm facing down. It is a very low profile design, the reg is only slightly higher than a DIN valve mounted that way. The hose routing on the FSR is similar to the FST except with the reg mounted with the diaphragm facing up. Some people find the back of their head can touch the top of the FSR mounted that way, the solution is to mount it diaphragm down but then the hoses angle ever so slightly the wrong direction. Again, not a big deal.

The replaceable valve seat is actually the HP valve seat, it is an additional part that is paired with an additional o-ring (Part AP-5721 if you can find the FST/FSR maintenance manual online somewhere). Yes, its replaceable but when I asked an experienced Apeks reg tech about it, he'd said he'd never needed to replace one, that it was theoretically possible but not likely. For a flathead or DST/DS4 with a bad HP valve seat you'd have to replace the entire first stage body. All of the service kits for the first stage come with that extra o-ring for the FSR (and for that matter the o-rings for turret for the DST), if that matters to you.

As you probably already know, the internals for the second stages on the XTX200/XTX100/XTX50 are functionally identical, just cosmetic/aesthetic differences.

I personally wouldn't get the Apeks hose swivel because there are a number of extra parts (including o-rings) that IMO aren't necessary for a normal configuration. If you are going with an under-the-arm hose routing I'd get a good 90° swivel elbow (Zeagle makes a good one at a good price, Kirby Morgan makes one that Dive Rite also sells that's more expensive but very good as well). Stay away from 360°-type swivels, a number of them have been recalled recently.

FWIW, I have XTX100s with the FST first stages. They are better than anything else because they are what I bought. j/k! :eyebrow: Seriously, I chose the hose routing (esp. nice for doubles btw) over the replaceable high pressure valve seat. YMMV.

John

The XTX50s w/DS4s are nice, cheaper than the others, and work great. They would all do you fine, however.

- some of our diving would be on holidays to tropical climates but most of our diving would be done in Sydney and around Australia - not sure if this will constitute cold water diving? (although all 3 can be used in cold water).

I cant immagine any ocean dives around Australia being considered cold water dives.
Anything beloow 10 degs I would consider cold water.

Try Port Phillip Bay...8-9 deg C in July.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom