Revisiting an old topic: Welding O2?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm another one using welding grade O2 on my RB. Never had a problem. I have oxyhacker's book - very good. And remember, if you ever need to weld, you can do that too!

Last edited:
I have heard much the same except that welding oxygen tanks are not drained before filling. Myself, I have bought my own cascade cylinders, cleaned them, and use them for nothing but o2. This is to avoid ANY chance of cross contamination of acetelene at a welding shop. This could happen if the oxygen tank is bled dry and the welder is using a fine brazing tip. Heck, since I partial pressure blend, I never run my tanks down lower than a couple of hundred PSI so air can not contaminate the tank.

I'm just curious, what price did you get?

That's the funny part, too. Price seem to be something that is flexible, if you know what to say to whom.

I just picked up two of the T bottles (332cf, I think) of aviator grade. They bill me on account, but I always ask the price before I leave with the bottles. The guy said, "$32.00?" as if it was a question. I said, "No, that sounds high." So he said, "23.00?" I said, "Sure, that sounds right."

I don't know how much less the welding grade is, but $23.00 for 330cf of O2 is good enough for me.

Oh, and my supplier said that the only difference between Medical and any other grade is what they have to guarantee, not what's in the bottle. Same gas, different guarantee.

They also fill those bottles hot, in about 30 seconds, and overfill them.

BTW, with these guys, attitude is everything. If you talk the language with confidence, they will usually set you up with whatever gas you want, no questions. If they do question you, flash a nitrox card at them as if that answers everything and they will pretend they know what they are looking at, and sell you the gas. Setting up an account with them also ends all questions. All the account is, is some clerk checking your credit to see if you are billable. But once the the guy behind the counter sees you have an account, they sell you whatever you want. However, these are gas people, so YMMV, and it can change day to day and at different locations.

I have never had problems getting my cascade bottles filled but an individual rebreather bottle is almost an impossability. The medical supply places won't fill customer owned tanks even with a perscription. The welding place won't fill anything with a SCUBA valve on it.

What is a good way to get individual bottles filled? I have thought of painting them all green and using CGA540 valves and saying it for welding.

I have never had problems getting my cascade bottles filled but an individual rebreather bottle is almost an impossability. The medical supply places won't fill customer owned tanks even with a perscription. The welding place won't fill anything with a SCUBA valve on it.

What is a good way to get individual bottles filled? I have thought of painting them all green and using CGA540 valves and saying it for welding.

Transfill from a small ("125") welding oxygen bottle. If you're so inclined, there are small oxygen boosters available for around $2K (new) that will allow you to use up most of the source gas.

Transfill from a small ("125") welding oxygen bottle. If you're so inclined, there are small oxygen boosters available for around $2K (new) that will allow you to use up most of the source gas.

Yeah I swapped my 2x 250cf "K" bottles for 4x 125cf bottles. With more bottles I can always have a full one on hand. Once its only partly full e.g. <~1200psi its not much use to me for transfilling O2 anymore (although still good for PP blending 50%). So I use that last 1/2 of a cylinder to continuous blend 32%. With the 250cf bottles I needed to use ALOT of 32% before exchanging the supply cylinder. With the smaller 125cf supply bottles I can use up the dregs easier and swap for a full one sooner.

Why guess or go by hearsay or third hand gossip? Call the lab at your gas suppliers bottling plant, and ask them what the difference is between med and welding. Ask them if they vacuum welding bottles. Don't give your real name, and don't admit you are diving with the stuff.

Oh, and ask them if some acetylene backflowed into an empty O2 tank, and someone filled 1800 psi of O2 on top of it, what would happen.

I have heard much the same except that welding oxygen tanks are not drained before filling.

Call the lab at your gas suppliers bottling plant, and ask them what the difference is between med and welding. Ask them if they vacuum welding bottles.

I did ask about the av vs weld in the beginning. I was told the biggest thing was extra drying process. As far as med vs av in layman's terms, paperwork and politics.

Oxy-- I keep meaning to order your book....... :confused:

I would like to see a thread just posting what guys are paying for 02 fills........ maybe there already is one, I didn't see it. Hummmm......... I have an idea....

Back
Top Bottom