rEvo rMS troubleshooting?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can any of you give me any info to help with some basic troubleshooting of the rMS on my rEvo?

I bought it used last summer, but it took until 3 weeks ago to get my training to dive it.

The first 4 or 5 times I fired it up, rMS was working.

Then, I was my training and I had an issue with my HUD not calibrating. I tracked it down to a splitter that was allowing the HUD and the Predator Fischer cable monitor to share an O2 sensor. The Predator controller has its own 3 sensors and does not share any with the HUD or Predator monitor. I tossed the splitter and then the HUD calibrated just fine.

The point is that during that process to track that down, I did have the sensor tray lifted up out of the unit and was messing with the wires to those sensors. That SHOULD not have affected any of the wires to the sensors for the controller or the wires to or from the O2 sensor board (which is also the rMS board).

So, even though I don't think I did anything that would affect the rMS, after that the rMS for the inhale side (which is where the O2 sensors are) was no longer working. I could go into the Predator Scrubber+ screen and view scubber temps and it would show me a full set of temps for the exhale side, but none for the inhale side.

I tried swapping baskets. Still no inhale side.

A buddy brought over his scrubber baskets, which work fine in his unit. In mine, still no inhale side temps.

Tonight, I needed to replace a couple of O2 sensors with new ones anyway, so I had a look at it. I installed 2 new sensors for the controller. I unscrewed and lifted out the O2/rMS board (i.e. took it off the sensor tray). I disconnected the DiveCAN connector so that that O2 board was completely removed from the system. Then I put it all back together.

The controller sees and works fine with the new sensors. But now, not only am I not getting temps from the inhale side, I am also not getting temps from the exhale side.

During the process, I did swap scrubber baskets back and forth between the inhale and exhale sides, but I did not DO anything with the board on the exhale side.

Is it possible that I have a bad temperature probe and it has somehow managed to kill both rMS boards?

Is there some way to test the temperature probes to verify that they are okay?

Any suggestions are welcome! I would really rather not send my whole unit to Ocean Edge and pay them to diagnose it all and potentially tell me it needs new temp probes and new rMS boards. That looks like about a $1200 proposition, just in parts.

I was starting to think I just needed a new O2 board and was preparing myself to go ahead and spend the $300. But, now I am not at all sure that that is what I need or all that I need.

Thanks!!

Sorry to hear about your rMS issues. There is indeed no reason to suspect that fiddling with splitters or DiveCAN cables could damage the board (unless it is very poorly designed).
However, the experience of many rEvo divers (but not all), is that these issues can happen. Your unit is probably not under warranty anymore, so contacting OEO will probably end up with a quote for a replacement board.
I personally have had both boards unresponsive for a while but will not send $ to rEvo for replacement, as I found the system useless for my type of diving (and have no reason to believe that the boards will work for very long). I use the unit with the rMS turned off (but still occasionally get a TEMP PROBE DISCONNECTED message from my Predator nonetheless!)
As a new diver, this is certainly frustrating to experience (I have been in the same boat, but with a brand new unit).
You seemed to have performed all the relevant tests. Maybe try to swap tray with your buddy to eliminate a DiveCAN cable issue?

I've experienced multiple RMS failures since it was brought in in 2012. My experience was that there was two failure modes. 1 - The temp stick stopped working; how to diagnose - a red x appears on the controller. How to test is if you move the scrubber to the other lung and see if the red x follows on the controller. A replacement of the temp probe is the only solution. The second failure mode is when the RMS boards on the sensor tray or on the solenoid tray fail. When this occurred to me, the external battery was being eaten up i.e. the boards were continually drawing full power even when the unit was turned off. The nasty by product of this failure mode is that the unit is designed to re-route power from the Internal Controller battery to the solenoid if the external battery goes too low. This happened to me on a deep dive, I had battery warnings for both external and internal batteries. With this second failure mode the RMS readings still appear on the controller and the RMS system does be working fine.
Unfortunately, the failure mode your experiencing appears to be different. I'm not sure you'll get to the bottom of this issue yourself as all the RMS circuits are potted. I'd send off the controller, the RMS boards and the temp probes to rEvo for diagnosis. With modern shipping rates I'd even consider sending it back to rEvo in Belgium.

Cathal

Stuart...

So Sorry to hear of your difficulties...

First and foremost...you need to be safe...and in order to be safe...the rebreather needs to be functioning perfectly...

We're a captive audience in this sport...you have only one option...and ''tinkering'' isn't it...

I would suggest boxing up the ''complete'' unit and shipping it to Jason at OEO...no point in sending sub-components...the rebreather operates...and needs to be ''proved'' as a complete system...

Having bought your unit used...assuming...with no remaining warranty...it should probably be completely gone over anyway...

It's going to be expensive...not much point in asking for a quote...Jason will go over everything as a complete system...and advise what needs to be done...

I know what the installed cost of replacing both counter-lungs is...as I have made that inquiry...I would budget $3000...and breath a sigh of relief if it's less...

Best...stay safe...

Warren...

I sent my revo in for the 5 year service last Mar. Jason quoted $800-1500 I believe my bill was around $1100.00 that included 4 cells as the ones I sent with the rebreather where AI.
As you purchased your revo used did you get certified on it? The reason I ask, I have heard that there have been issues when a person sends in their rebeather and are not certified on it.

Al

First and foremost...you need to be safe...and in order to be safe...the rebreather needs to be functioning perfectly...

We're a captive audience in this sport...you have only one option...and ''tinkering'' isn't it...

I would suggest boxing up the ''complete'' unit and shipping it to Jason at OEO...no point in sending sub-components...the rebreather operates...and needs to be ''proved'' as a complete system.....

$3,000!!!!!!! The unit either passes the positive and negative check or it does not. The RMS is not needed for the diver to be safe, if the bill is going to be $3,000 I'd consider the following, either turn it of on the controller display and just ignore it, resort to the 3 hour rule on each scrubber or you probably could buy a new RMS system (controller, RMS boards and temp sticks) and install them yourself for around the $3,000.

@cathal, thanks for the thoughts on rMS failures! My dive buddy has a rEvo with rMS also. I'm going to get together with him and swap baskets back and forth as his rMS is 100% functioning. That should, hopefully, let me narrow my issues down to exactly what parts of mine are dead. New scrubber baskets with temp probe installed are $325. New rMS boards are $300. I'm pretty sure I don't need a new controller. My controller is my Predator and I just had it serviced, with the main board replaced, by Shearwater, in September. So, I think I could replace all of the possibly components for around $1200-ish, As you know, replacing the rMS boards is easy and is intended to be able to be done by the end user.

@ScubaAl : Yes, I got certified on my rEvo over New Year's. I'm thinking of having OEO service it. But, I would like to do as much to it as I can on my own. Saves me money and I generally prefer doing my own service work anyway. I won't do anything that requires opening the case. But, replacing LP and HP hoses from the 1st stages to the MAV, inflator, and SPGs is definitely something I (or anyone, really) can do safely.

I read this thread but unfortunately cannot offer any ideas as don't have a RB. But I feel the pain. And would like to know how the manufacturer solves this issue.

Here is what I got from OEO when I asked how much it would cost (2 years ago) for a flooded unit (not mine) to be assessed:

Our labor rate is $65.22 per hour. Budget 1-2 hours to diagnose your unit.

Then, asking for the cost of a complete service:

A normal 5 years service (not a unit that has been flooded) runs $700-$850 plus sensors it they need it.
Price includes servicing the following:
Regulators
Gas Block
Manifold and hoses
ADV
OPV
DSV
BCD
New o-ring kit
Replace batteries, flapper valves, green tubing and gas feed through bulkhead.
Ensure all of the electronics and unit is in good working order.
If we notice any corrosion on your molex connectors and/or wires inside the cables and solenoid from the salt water, we have to replace them with new.

I passed on this info to the owner of the flooded unit but am not sure how they proceeded.

HTH.
Of course if they find defective electronic parts, this has to be added to the cost. Notice that there is no mention of replacing the counterlungs...

Back
Top Bottom