• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Revo vs JJ

Discussion in 'Rebreather Diving' started by Tribal, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Heat Miser

Heat Miser DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Yes I did know this .... I own a Santi drysuit and I'm not GUE trained .... is there some inter agency policeman going to arrest me?

2. helodriver87

helodriver87 DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Yeah, anyone can rig up a JJ DIR style. You do want to be careful about it though, since you're modifying it from stock. Several non GUE instructors use it that way though, so you should be able to get assistance.

Heat Miser likes this.
  3. doctormike

doctormike ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Another vote for training on a rental unit before buying one. All of the pros and cons we are discussing don't make much sense until you have CCR training. Yes, it's a bit more expensive, but I think worth it. I won't really comment on the decision, since I don't know much about rEvos (other than a try dive years ago), but I REALLY love my JJ.

Sifossifoco and Heat Miser like this.
  4. Sifossifoco

Sifossifoco Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    +1 for training on a rental unit, even considering that the harness will probably not be adjusted perfectly for you. It is more expensive, and not just because of the rental costs. I got certified on a rental JJ first, and when I went to do the certification on a Poseidon I was told it wasn't possible to do a simple crossover, because I really only had the training hours on the JJ, so the second certification was full cost too. I loved the JJ, but I ended up buying the Poseidon for one main reason: the JJ distributor was really bad and not 'user friendly' at all.

5. Tribal

Tribal Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I did order the JJ last week. I hope I can start the training by the end of the year.

rjack321 and doctormike like this.
  6. lermontov

lermontov Manta Ray

the rEvo has a lower profile than the JJ - most of my dive buddies have JJ - its extremely satisfying when I can wriggle through a hole they cant:D

i dont like the way the head of the JJ gathers debris in the recess
    I use a lot less sorb than they do
    rEvo use more cells but im ok with extra safeguard
    JJ seems pretty robust though

7. doctormike

doctormike ScubaBoard Supporter Staff Member ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    I never had that problem with my JJ, but I guess it depends on where you dive. There are a number of designs of DIY things out there to fix this issue, maybe @rsingler or Pete Mesley could share them...

8. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Solo Diver

You will enjoy it. You picked more of the minivan model instead of the hatchback model. But those minivans sure are useful a lot of the time. As I am a hatchback diver. Little smaller, little sportier, not as versatile. Still a good choice. We will make fun of it, you will make fun of us, we will all have fun in the water. That is what really matters.

ChuckP, cathal, Tribal and 1 other person like this.
  9. azstinger11

azstinger11 ScubaBoard Sponsor ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Isn't the Nomad XT a sidemount wing? Just curious how you had that configured.

10. rsingler

rsingler Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass Staff Member ScubaBoard Sponsor

For $6 on Amazon for a yard of 1mm wetsuit neoprene and some velcro, I sewed up a cover that addresses my similar concerns.
    20200913_123446.jpg
    Lots of floaty sand for my shore entries and exits here in NorCal. While it's not a safety issue, since there's a second wiper oring at the top of the head, it offends my sensibilities to scratch the inside of the can pulling the head out with sand down in the crack between it and the can. This inexpensive cap, since I wasn't about to pay 70Euro for Narked at 90's version, works fine.

Pete Mesley has a 3D printer version and has published the file. But I inquired about a one-off version from four 3D companies, and got quotes from $160-230. Nope!