RGBM & copyright

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sillygrendel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been reading a couple of posts asking questions about various specific aspects of the RGBM algorithm and the responses have raised a few questions...

I know that there is a mess of Fortran code out there that can be had for about 7K. I _think_ that the Abyss & Suunto currently own the copyright to the RGBM. (The code I'm assuming?? Or is the 'method' patent pending?)

I also read that an RGBM page is being setup where we could buy various papers/books/etc on the model.

My question -- to those who might be in the position to know would be:

How close to the chest is the RGBM being kept?? There are data (EOS, the values of various coefficients) which I could see being witheld as trade secrets. Essentially making the algorithm unimplementable by others in a 'safe' or reproducable fashion.

I had wanted to implement it myself but keep running into various missing pieces of information. Is it worth my time to search out this information? Or is this information being witheld to prevent competing implementations.

(not that I want to do this for commercial purposes! )

Just curious... And cynical as always :eek:ut:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom