RGBM Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am in the process of writing an article and need some information about RGBM usage in technical diving.

Can someone provide a RGBM profile for a dive to 200 feet for 20 minutes using 18/45 for back gas and 50% and 100% for deco gas?

I realize that there will be more than one option for this.

Are you after an actual or planned profile? A buddy and I did a 67m dive on 18/40 BG, 32%TG and 79%DG last Spring, with Suunto Eon fused-RGBM algorithm which, if I recall, was about 20 minutes bottom time. I've since sold my Eon but I think he still has the log on his laptop.

Apologies if I'm off the mark on this, but happy to ask him to forward if it helps.

I am looking for a planned profile. I will be comparing it to other algorithms. I need it to be precise.

I like the sound of actual comparisons between algorithms! I hope your article will be published somewhere that we of the unwashed masses can read it. :)

I have the impression that there's more than one flavor of RGBM. Are you thinking of Bruce Wienke's original algorithm or variations thereof, like Suunto RGBM?

Suunto's DM5 includes dive planning. It is a little frustrating to use because at least on Mac it crashes every so often.

DM5 Support

I am not sure if they've updated DM5 for the new RGBM2 that they are releasing.

I have the impression that there's more than one flavor of RGBM. Are you thinking of Bruce Wienke's original algorithm or variations thereof, like Suunto RGBM?
Every decompression algorithm I know has ways of adjusting things to your preferences. For Bühlmann, it is gradient factors. VPM has +1, +2, +3, +4, and +5 conservatism choices. I know that RGBM can be similarly adjusted. Bruce Weinke said that RGBM had gradient factors in it from the start, although he called them reductions, IIRC. I just need to be able to identify which option I am using when I identify the results.

For those looking for a full-blown comparison of algorithms, I am sorry to disappoint. The purpose of the paper is quite different. The comparison I am making is a minor point within it, which is why I am asking for such a specific profile. I don't need to know anything more about the algorithm than the answer to that specific question.

Suunto's DM5 includes dive planning. It is a little frustrating to use because at least on Mac it crashes every so often.

DM5 Support

I am not sure if they've updated DM5 for the new RGBM2 that they are releasing.
I don't really need the latest and greatest. In fact, it might not be preferred, since my purpose has a touch of history about it.

Just an attempt to run it, I would suggest playing with DM5 yourself since I only know the book knowledge for tech stuff.

Attachments

• DivePlan_2019-01-23-0355.pdf
    46.1 KB · Views: 72
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom