• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Richard Martyn Turner, (GBR). Killed by shark (REU) (11.2019)

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by АлександрД, Nov 8, 2019.

1. АлександрД

АлександрД Manta Ray

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Richard Martyn Turner, 44 y.o. from England. Killed by shark at Reunion island.
    NINTCHDBPICT000537946571.jpg

Brit, 44, eaten by shark pictured after wife ID'd wedding ring off Reunion island on her 40th birthday holiday

Sam Miller III likes this.
  2. Jack Hammer

Jack Hammer Solo Diver

3. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    My sincerest condolences. Tragic.

4. Jersey

Jersey Manta Ray

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Sad. I thought I heard the area he was in was previously shut down for shark activity and it can't be determined if he drowned and was then eaten or attacked and died as a result.

JDelage likes this.
  5. JDelage

JDelage Solo Diver

My understanding was that it was forbidden to get in the water pretty much everywhere in La Reunion. They've had a number of shark attacks...

6. Diving Dubai

Diving Dubai Instructor, Scuba

While of course its' sad a human has lost their life

What's possible sadder, is that they slaughtered 4 sharks in response.

Sharks etc, are just acting out of instinct, in their environment, when will humans cease to take revenge on creatures

We claim it's not humane to (generally) execute people for their crimes, yet we're sentient beings able to make choices, whereas we think it's okay to destroy creatures acting out of instinct.

We really are a just a nasty virus on this planet with little or no respect for it

eleniel, Jersey, rjack321 and 5 others like this.
  7. Steve_C

Steve_C Divemaster

No idea if relevant to this case but sometimes a predator develops a taste for humans or develops a behavior that makes it much more dangerous than the typical predator of its type. I do not have a problem with selective culling. I ignore poisonous snakes in the wild. If one decides it prefers to hang out where my grandson plays it is removed.

8. dmaziuk

dmaziuk Orca

The difference is (at least some) humans understand spoken word. Critter acting out of instinct -- can develop an instinct that says you eat this type of food, your entire species go extinct. We do this to wildlife preying on livestock, tigers preying on humans, what makes sharks so special.

Bob DBF, markmud and Steve_C like this.
  9. drrich2

drrich2 Solo Diver

It's noted "They were in the lagoon area which is shark free because of the coral but they somehow managed to find a way in."

Without veering into a debate over where sharks are 'supposed' to be, it sounds like this happened in some sort of lagoon which is usually regarded as shark-free, and since the couple were staying in the " exclusive five star Lux Hotel," is this lagoon perhaps regarded as a safe swimming area for guests?

If so, they weren't going to leave the sharks in there, and extracting and relocated them alive would be quite daunting. I'm not weighing in on the moral correctness or lack there-of, just pointing out there may be more at work here than revenge.

Also, under the circumstances, the desire to find human remains and perhaps some evidence of what happened to him would be important to the family (and others). We still don't know whether he was attacked or scavenged.

That said, I wonder whether this lagoon had enough food for 4 tiger sharks? And could these sharks exit the lagoon, or had they gotten themselves at least temporarily trapped? Yes, I'm speculating with my line of questioning, but there's a chance this situation had become rather dangerous for humans in that lagoon, at least temporarily.

If they want it big shark-free, it'd be nice if they could find a way to make it so without killing more sharks.

Land_Lubber, Bob DBF, Jersey and 5 others like this.
  10. Diver below 83

Diver below 83 Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Well said

markmud, chillyinCanada and KathyV like this.