Richard Martyn Turner, (GBR). Killed by shark (REU) (11.2019)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

АлександрД

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Richard Martyn Turner, 44 y.o. from England. Killed by shark at Reunion island.
NINTCHDBPICT000537946571.jpg

Brit, 44, eaten by shark pictured after wife ID'd wedding ring off Reunion island on her 40th birthday holiday
A BRIT who was eaten by a shark has been pictured for the first time after his wife forced to identify him by his arm and wedding ring found inside the predator.
The 44 year old man, Richard Martyn Turner, was snorkelling on the Island of Reunion by himself when he vanished in an area where four sharks were later caught.
He was reported missing by his wife Verity on Sunday and the grizzly remains of the hand were found inside the stomach of a 9ft tiger shark after they were brought ashore.
She told cops in the Indian Ocean paradise of Reunion Island she recognized a ring on the finger as belonging to her missing husband.
The couple were staying in the exclusive five star Lux Hotel on St Gilles and had arrived last week to celebrate Verity's 40th birthday.
Yesterday a police source on the island told The Sun:''The hand and forearm of a man was found inside the stomach of one of the captured tiger sharks.
All four were around three to four metres long.

Three more sharks to have stomach contents examined
''The woman identified the ring as belonging to her husband but the DNA tests will officially confirm if it is the missing man. Further investigations will be carried out on the sharks and the contents of their stomachs examined.
''The sharks were caught because they were swimming way out of their natural habitat. They were in the lagoon area which is shark free because of the coral but they somehow managed to find a way in.
''They were taken to the shark research centre where the autopsy was carried out and the human remains found.
''At this stage we don't know if the man drowned and was then attacked or if he was attacked while swimming.''
The couple were staying in the exclusive five star Lux Hotel on St Gilles and had arrived last week to celebrate Verity's birthday.
A police helicopter was called in for the search on Saturday but no trace could be found of him.
The couple were originally from the north west of England but had moved to Scotland 15 years ago.
Friends who worked with him at Scotland's land registry have said he was a 'kind' and a 'very English eccentric'.
Shark attacks are common in Reunion and since 2011 there have been 27 with 11 proving fatal.
The island is classed as French department and last month during a visit President Emmanuel Macron said Paris would double financial assistance to two million Euros to help prevent shark attacks.
Last night the Foreign Office said:''We are providing support to the family of a British man who died while snorkelling in La Réunion and are in contact with the local authorities.”

Sad. I thought I heard the area he was in was previously shut down for shark activity and it can't be determined if he drowned and was then eaten or attacked and died as a result.

My understanding was that it was forbidden to get in the water pretty much everywhere in La Reunion. They've had a number of shark attacks...

While of course its' sad a human has lost their life

What's possible sadder, is that they slaughtered 4 sharks in response.

Sharks etc, are just acting out of instinct, in their environment, when will humans cease to take revenge on creatures

We claim it's not humane to (generally) execute people for their crimes, yet we're sentient beings able to make choices, whereas we think it's okay to destroy creatures acting out of instinct.

We really are a just a nasty virus on this planet with little or no respect for it

No idea if relevant to this case but sometimes a predator develops a taste for humans or develops a behavior that makes it much more dangerous than the typical predator of its type. I do not have a problem with selective culling. I ignore poisonous snakes in the wild. If one decides it prefers to hang out where my grandson plays it is removed.

We claim it's not humane to (generally) execute people for their crimes, yet we're sentient beings able to make choices, whereas we think it's okay to destroy creatures acting out of instinct.

The difference is (at least some) humans understand spoken word. Critter acting out of instinct -- can develop an instinct that says you eat this type of food, your entire species go extinct. We do this to wildlife preying on livestock, tigers preying on humans, what makes sharks so special.

It's noted "They were in the lagoon area which is shark free because of the coral but they somehow managed to find a way in."

Without veering into a debate over where sharks are 'supposed' to be, it sounds like this happened in some sort of lagoon which is usually regarded as shark-free, and since the couple were staying in the " exclusive five star Lux Hotel," is this lagoon perhaps regarded as a safe swimming area for guests?

If so, they weren't going to leave the sharks in there, and extracting and relocated them alive would be quite daunting. I'm not weighing in on the moral correctness or lack there-of, just pointing out there may be more at work here than revenge.

Also, under the circumstances, the desire to find human remains and perhaps some evidence of what happened to him would be important to the family (and others). We still don't know whether he was attacked or scavenged.

That said, I wonder whether this lagoon had enough food for 4 tiger sharks? And could these sharks exit the lagoon, or had they gotten themselves at least temporarily trapped? Yes, I'm speculating with my line of questioning, but there's a chance this situation had become rather dangerous for humans in that lagoon, at least temporarily.

If they want it big shark-free, it'd be nice if they could find a way to make it so without killing more sharks.

It's noted "They were in the lagoon area which is shark free because of the coral but they somehow managed to find a way in."

Without veering into a debate over where sharks are 'supposed' to be, it sounds like this happened in some sort of lagoon which is usually regarded as shark-free, and since the couple were staying in the " exclusive five star Lux Hotel," is this lagoon perhaps regarded as a safe swimming area for guests?

If so, they weren't going to leave the sharks in there, and extracting and relocated them alive would be quite daunting. I'm not weighing in on the moral correctness or lack there-of, just pointing out there may be more at work here than revenge.

Also, under the circumstances, the desire to find human remains and perhaps some evidence of what happened to him would be important to the family (and others). We still don't know whether he was attacked or scavenged.

That said, I wonder whether this lagoon had enough food for 4 tiger sharks? And could these sharks exit the lagoon, or had they gotten themselves at least temporarily trapped? Yes, I'm speculating with my line of questioning, but there's a chance this situation had become rather dangerous for humans in that lagoon, at least temporarily.

If they want it big shark-free, it'd be nice if they could find a way to make it so without killing more sharks.
Well said

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom