Richmond, Va Divers....i Have Some Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pyramid65

Contributor
Reaction score
I am moving to Midlothian, VA in June and was wondering where you dive down there. I've seen Lake Rawlings which amounts to about Dutch Springs in Pa it looks like.....What about the Swift Creek Reservoir? There is a reservoir close to my house here in Jersey that I've dove in which is regulated, I haven't seen anything about scuba in Swift Creek...How about the James River, can't be much different than the Delaware up here? What about the Chesapeake Bay? Any input on dive shops would be appreciated as well. I've checked out Atlantis on line being it's the closest to the new house, was hoping to stop in there on my last trip down but bought a house and headed back to Jersey quick. My next courses would be Advanced Nitrox & Decompression if that helps as far as a shop or even a private instructor. thx for any input.

I've seen some VA Beach charters and then of course within a few hours theres NC. I'm finishing up my OW cert in Richmond and am planning on poking around to see what I can find as far as local waterway clean up, shallow NC dives. Some of the VA Beach stuff was pretty shallow and sounded like a good time.

I'm in Charlottesville. Lake Rawlings/Lake Phoenix is the closest to us (and will be even closer to Richmond of course). Lots of people out there on the weekends in the summer, and I think most of inland Virginia runs their training classes there. Besides that, people seem to either hit up Virginia Beach (less often, since that's a 3+ hour drive) and NC (more often, since it's not much farther of a drive with much cooler stuff to see). Moreshead City is a particularly popular destination.

You are about 2.5 hours from Fantasy Lake just north east of Raleigh. Viz is better in Phoenix. FL is warmer and larger with more access points and more parking close to the quarry. There is no shop on site so need to bring your own gear or rent it enroute. FL also has a larger area that is above 35 ft. It is where most of the Raleigh/Durham groups go to hang out or train.

Back
Top Bottom