Rig adaptation to disability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

axluba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Dear all,

(TLDR : disabled diver, no left hand, looking for ideas, tips, tricks, to optimize his gear set up)

First I hesitated to drop this one in “diver with disabilities” but I figured that I would be interested in tips coming from all types of divers. If the topic has to be moved it wouldn’t be a problem for me.

As the title mentions I am looking for ideas to adapt a dive system to my disability. (No left hand)

After a thread on the BC and the help from plenty of you guys (especially @lowwall ) and a talk with my instructor I think I would like to go with a bp/w for the customization/adaptation opportunities offered by this kind of system.

The easiest option would be a mares xr silver knight or blue battle as they provide a right side butt dump valve. However I like to work with smaller companies and I’m talking with DareToDive (very responsive) to eventually modify one of their 14 liter ring wing. (Btw if anybody knows their product I’m interested).

Basically I would like to know if you had any suggestion regarding rig set up.

From experience the best way to adapt anything in my life is a mix of my experience (as the person used to live with the disability) and input and ideas from people with more experience people in the field. So here I am, the goal is really to take ANY idea or tips you might have, I would write them down, tinker with them and try them as I can.

No bad ideas, they won’t all work for me but I know from experience that there are many things I don’t think about trying so I would rather ask.

Context:
I intend on diving only recreationally for the foreseeable future.

Current ideas:

BP/W
SPG on the left strap somewhere between my chest and my hip where I can just “orientate” it with my left arm to check it.
LP inflator on the left as I can operate it easily from across my body with my right hand. This would keep the right side free for my second stage. I think I would keep my second stage on the right so I can use my valid hand to recover it if I drop it.
“Standard” reg set (primary + Octo) because it seems to work. However maybe a longer primary that goes under my arm and straight to my mouth with a 90/110 degree reg elbow and a short second could be an option.
wrist size computer on the left arm (eventually with AI to simplify my life)

All those are based on my long experience of being disabled and my practically INEXISTENT experience of diving. Anything can be challenged, there’s probably a load of crap in my ideas.

Thank you for anybody who made it there and thank you to anybody who might take the time to share his/her opinion.

When diving single tank before I got an air integrated computer, I always clipped my SPG to left chest D ring. Just had to look down. Suggest you clip to whichever side chest D ring you choose.

Yes! I think that is a good approach for the SPG!

If given a choice between an off the shelf wing that already meets your needs and having one custom adapted to your needs, I'd take the off the shelf one personally.

For the computer, I've been looking into getting a Teric, and you might like it too. You can have all your data, including air and compass, on one screen, that you can point toward your face using only your left wrist, thus leaving your right hand free. It's expensive and there are probably cheaper options with all those features, but something to think about.

@axluba

If you think you can operate wing inflator across your body with right hand, then just go with a stock wing. I’m going to suggest you look at getting a 16in/40cm corrugated hose for your inflator. I don’t have any disability, but I just found the 12in/30cm was too short for me. 16” is perfect.

@axluba

If you think you can operate wing inflator across your body with right hand, then just go with a stock wing. I’m going to suggest you look at getting a 16in/40cm corrugated hose for your inflator. I don’t have any disability, but I just found the 12in/30cm was too short for me. 16” is perfect.
I imagine he can actuate the inflator cross body, but probably not the cross body kidney dump.

I'm going a little off the wall here.

Go to your LDS and gear yup, see where you have problems and track them, then try to actuate your bc, I'm pretty sure you will need to get custom on right but try and see if it's comfortable.

I would definitely go wrist mount computer as holding a console to monitor ascent while venting during ascent will be very difficult one handed. If you go with a spg clip to either chest or right side ring.

Other computer options, I have not used either just know they exist, they are expensive.

https://scubapro.johnsonoutdoors.co...free-computer/galileo-hud-hands-free-computer

NERD 2 - Shearwater Research

The basic plan sounds good. On SPG, before eventually going wireless, you might try routing it on the right. I dive tiny independent doubles, the right tanks SPG is maybe a bit shorter, and I tuck the top half of the hose into the bungee loops on my DiveRite Rec BC, the bottom half of the hose is free. It puts it a bit back but around hip height. Bending the hose forward lets me read it easily. Reading it is not as pure and non-trim affecting a solution as the normal unclip, read, reclip. But it works well. It does not seem to interfere with my long hose.

I imagine he can actuate the inflator cross body, but probably not the cross body kidney dump.
perhaps you can correct me. if yhe is using a coughnit wing what would happen if teh bladder was removed and turned upside down. the bladder purge would be on the good side the inflator hose would be on the good side and all llwould be well perhaps teh hip vent may be on the outside instead of the underside of the bladder. If he uses a jacket Im not sure what can be done.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom