Rig Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SentinelAce

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have steal 85's and a diamond wing. I am using bungies to wrap around the valve and then clip on the bottom on a sliding Dring. For some reason they hung way too low. With steels should I also clip the top in with a bolt snap?

I have steal 85's and a diamond wing. I am using bungies to wrap around the valve and then clip on the bottom on a sliding Dring. For some reason they hung way too low. With steals should I also clip the top in with a bolt snap?
Now that Ron has made clear to all who could never have, in a million years, figured out that you are talking about the type of tanks you are using, we can move on to the less pressing issue of tank positioning and trim. So when you say they hang low, is the whole thing low, or tilted so that the top is lower than is comfortable?
I have heard that bolt snaps are not favored do to difficulty in entanglement according to this thread: quick input suicide clips or bolt snap for bottom attachment of tanks

Oh, I have a typo, meant to say "Due to" but I get corrected on SB so often, I get the discounted rate for Typo-Snypos!

Check our Steve martin’s sidemount page. ( no...not ‘that’ Steve Martin)..It’s a pretty comprehensive overview and excellent setup/training instructional on any rig.sidemounting.com | Online video training courses for Scuba Divers

LOL @ comprehensive. Read Steve's site again and you will see he is very myopic when it comes to sidemount diving. It is razor style and aluminum tanks or it isn't really "sidemount diving" to him. So if all you are into is razor style aluminum tank sidemount diving, then rock on.

That would be akin to me claiming to be the all knowing bicycle trainer in the world, but if you ride anything other than a carbon fiber road bike, you are not really biking. I would refuse to train you on a mountain bike because that is not my "style" or a BMX bike.

By Steve's own admission on his site if you have an instructor that only teaches one style then you should not even consider them for training and then two paragraphs down he states that he ONLY teaches a razor style system. There ya go..

That's wrong, he actually has dedicated videos on setting up and diving with steels.

I'm a SM noob but I'd call it comprehensive. Have you actually done his online SM course?

I just needed to read his article "Which sidemount harness and BCD should I buy."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom