Right Side Equalizes before Left Side?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well... I equalize unevenly AND I equalize through my eyes!!! (I can feel the air coming out of the corner of my eyes!!!)... so I wouldn't worry except for the pushing real hard. You shouldn't have to get red in the face or anything to do it. Since I tend to have some equalization problems sometimes, I'll start the valsalva before my head even gets submerged, that way I equalize as I go and don't have to worry about fighting a lot of back pressure.

That must be an awkward feeling :11: Do tears of joy come out (because your so happy to be diving)? :)

I can't tell you if you're normal or not. That would take a highly qualified professional. As for your ears not clearing in sync, that isn't rare at all. It's one of my premier objections to the Valsalva maneuver. When one ear is slow to clear there's a tendancy to overuse this maneuver trying to clear the slow ear, overpressuring the clear ear and risking barotrauma.

Try to clear sooner, and by gentler methods, such as stretching the neck, or chewing, or moving the jaw side to side. Eventually you'll get this down to a science, and things will go smoothly until the slow ear starts clearing easily, at which point the "good" ear will decide to block.

I've dealt with this on and off for almost 10 years, and it's just one more minor thing to manage.

That must be an awkward feeling :11: Do tears of joy come out (because your so happy to be diving)? :)

Always!!!

ha ha, well it does feel a little weird, kind of like I'm getting blasted with an air duster or air compressor from far away... yet the air is moving the wrong direction!

The only correct answer here is to visit an ENT - preferably one with diving knowledge to get checked out. There are a number of things that can cause this.... and you'll want to know which one it is before proceeding. Some of the things:

1. Wax Build-up
2. One Eustation tube narrower than the other
3. Sinus blockages including polyps and / or deviated septum
4. Infection
5. Cyst
etc... etc...

Good Luck with it... but don't puch hard!

Clear early & often. On the boat, when you're floating on top, 2 or 3 times & a lot as you descend, every few feet, continuously. There's really nothing else to do while descending so concentrate on clearing. Having to apply more pressure means you didn't clear at the proper depth, you're fighting water pressure & that's not good. My ears clear individually but I've never noticed any pattern.

As the title states, my right ear always 'pops' much earlier than my left. When doing the valsalva method, my right ear will pop right away, I have to push real hard to get my left one to do the same.

Does this matter? Am I normal ??? :confused:

TIA for any replies.
It's kinda common really, but hard pushing is not safe. Amazing how many have been injured so much so easily from such. Have you watched the 45 min video in my sig? Very helpful.
Without getting too 'icky', I too had a problem with uneven equalization. After going to an ear doctor to look into it, it turned out that one ear had quite a bit of wax in it, and this was the cause of the issue. Once that was cleared out, issue was gone.
Certainly a possibiltiy.
The only correct answer here is to visit an ENT - preferably one with diving knowledge to get checked out. There are a number of things that can cause this.... and you'll want to know which one it is before proceeding. Some of the things:

1. Wax Build-up
2. One Eustation tube narrower than the other
3. Sinus blockages including polyps and / or deviated septum
4. Infection
5. Cyst
etc... etc...

Good Luck with it... but don't puch hard!
Yep. :thumb:

I have the same problem. The ear on the side where my septum is narrower (its pretty badly deviated, and yes I've been to an ENT) pops MUCH slower.

I often pop one ear and then have to do the point-to-your ear dance and ascend a few feel while trying to clear the other, even up to 40-50 feet down. It's worst down to 20-30 feet though.

One piece of advice--get the problem ear cleared as soon as you notice pressure. I've waited even a few seconds, and it will still pop but not without considerable effort and sometimes a bit of pain in that ear. I've also noticed it squeaks much louder when it pops...odd. sort of a squuuuuueaaak, pop, ouch!

My ears have problems with more than 3 dives in one day (the last time we did a 3 dive day I had to just go home and stick my head under a pillow. I've found swimmer's ear remedy and a hairdryer on the ear to help minimize any extra problems as well...

Good luck! I just remind myself that others can think what they want, I'm descending ultra slow and babying the ears...

I have the same problem. The ear on the side where my septum is narrower (its pretty badly deviated, and yes I've been to an ENT) pops MUCH slower.

I often pop one ear and then have to do the point-to-your ear dance and ascend a few feel while trying to clear the other, even up to 40-50 feet down. It's worst down to 20-30 feet though.

One piece of advice--get the problem ear cleared as soon as you notice pressure. I've waited even a few seconds, and it will still pop but not without considerable effort and sometimes a bit of pain in that ear. I've also noticed it squeaks much louder when it pops...odd. sort of a squuuuuueaaak, pop, ouch!

I have the same problem and assume it's because of a deviated septum.

Did you get yours corrected?

Slightly off topic, I have no problems descending. But occasionally I get dizzy for a few seconds on ascent. It has been suggested that one ear is reverse-equalizing first. Maybe it's a related problem?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom