Ring of Fire - An Indonesian Odyssey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bora_Horza

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just been watching an absolutely fascinating documentry on YouTube: Ring of Fire - An Indonesian Odyssey. Two brothers travelling around Indonesia in the 1970's, awesome stuff!

The original post on the Lonely Planet Thorntree that drew my attention to this four part documentary is HERE (EDIT: and includes links to the other episodes).

Of interest to divers might be at 1.40 or so of the below video (fun with a blue ring octopus - gives me shivers to watch this!), and at 6.30 or so some old school pearl diving using a brass helmet from 1910!?

Last edited:
BH
thanks for interesting video - the guy with BRO must be insane.

Banda is another place we would like to visit but not very easy to reach and to contact.
Hv sent e-mail to spice island diver - so far no respone.

Mr. Des Alwi "the king of Banda" RIP 4 days ago.

Yeah... Your video's a torture, makes me want to go even more. Bandaneira looks so deliciously dilapidated & historical, closer to the East african Swahili coast colonial towns (Ilha do Moçambique or Lamu) than the regular dusty fishermen villages you come across anywhere in Indonesia.

Definitely Banda and the fabulous Kei islands are on my toplist to go (although I am not sure there's any operation ready to dive in the Kei). It's been years I am trying to setup an itinerary but either it's not in season or I have too little time, it seems there are lots of chances to get stranded for a week somewhere there.

I agree the guy with the BRO is playing russian roulette. These were the carefree (probably also ignorant) seventies.

Mr. Des Alwi "the king of Banda" RIP 4 days ago.
Also owner of the famous Maulana hotel in Bandaneira, right?

Last edited:
Was on Ambon a few weeks ago with Blue Rose Divers and tried to tack on a trip to the Bandas. Speaking to the guys at BRD, its best to try and arrange a trip to the Bandas through Maluku divers and they need a minimum of four (although I'm sure thats negotiable.....) as spice island divers isn't really functioning. Also there's only one flight a week on a sunday, assuming the plane is functioning, or the ferry that I think takes a couple of days each way. Unfortunalty didn't have the time to risk it......

But looks fantastic, so if you have the time well worth a visit.

@Luko - yes Des Alwi is also the owner of Maulana hotel.

@Banana - Thanks for info.
How did you contact Blue Rose Diver ? They don't response my e-mails. We plan to visit Ambon next month - Maluku Divers accommodation is fully booked and very pricey.

Their agent irien is normally quite good, but I can give you the mobile numbers of the onsite managers next week once I'm back infront of my computer.

Maluku is remarkably pricey, but its apparently possible to stay in a home stay nearby And then just pay muluku for the divingwhich makes it much cheaper, although I'm not sure if they like it

I love this sort of hark to the past documentaries. No HD stuff, just pure off the beaten track footage. I must say the underwater videography is pretty good for the limitations they had. this makes me want to dig up my old Jacques Cousteau and John Stoneman docos from the 70s. Great space ambient soundtracks as well :cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom