• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Rinse after fresh water dive??????????

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by Charged, Jul 3, 2009.

1. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Wow.....what a DB

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    :stalker: :D

2. Guba

Guba Regular of the Pub

First, there are only two sites I regularly dive that I don't do a thorough rinse after diving there. Both of these are springs in which the water is actually "cleaner" or at least as clean as the water from the tap. After diving any lakes, quarries or rivers, my gear gets a complete rinse. The reasons include:
    1) Even freshwater usually carries quite a mineral load. This varies from locale to locale, of course, but in my neck o' the woods, carbonates are a major culprit. Just as salt crystalizes on surfaces after an ocean dive, many minerals will do the same in "hard" water. Want to see? Just dip your mask in one of these water sources, dump out all but a few drops and then let it sit to dry. Check out the water spots left behind...those are mineral deposits.
    2) Yup, the ocean is laced with bacteria and other micro-critters. I've done the bact-T streak plates to prove it. So are all those quarries, lakes and rivers, and some of those life forms can be pretty nasty, but thankfully most of them are pretty benign. However, even the harmless types can make gear smell pretty funky after a while.
    3) Finally, if you are in the habit of diving at multiple sites, it's a particularly good idea to rinse/wash your gear to prevent cross-contamination. Your gear might very well pick up some life forms (bacteria, algae, hydrilla and other plants and spores) and transmit them to the next, un-infected dive site. We, as conscientious divers, need to at least attempt to minimize the chance of becoming a vector for this type of contamination.

In short, it makes sense for both the diver and the environment to rinse gear after most dives.

3. ONESPEED

ONESPEED ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives:
    :thumb:

4. Mayor

Mayor Photographer

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    I dive fresh water every week and set up a rinse tank in the garage. Quick and easy because the hanger is right above it. When on vacation (salt water) I use the hotel tub to rinse everything.

5. elan

elan DIR Practitioner

I doubt very much that you can rinse the bacteria off. Water foes not get into all the tiny holes that easy so it lives that anyways. However I rinse my gear as it removes most organic things that would smell when decaying.

6. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve Wow.....what a DB

I need to get an old steel oval water basin (used in fields with animals) from an old farm to use in this fashion. It would be so much quicker than using a hose (except where a hose may still be needed. You have my mind going....especially with hanging them immediately over top...solves another problem :D.

[​IMG]

7. Mayor

Mayor Photographer

I picked up a round beverage cooler with a lid and drain in the bottom. Think I got it at Dicks Sporting Goods. I also have a hose in the garage right next to it. One other thing is I added a ceiling fan to help with drying it.

McNett Mirazyme Enzyme-Based Gear Deodorizer 36132 with reviews at scuba.com

Last edited: Jul 3, 2009
  8. Hatul

Hatul Solo Diver

You haven't noticed people sitting far from you?

9. letterboy

letterboy Eww poors ScubaBoard Supporter

SB has stalkers?!?!

FYI I rinse after each dive, but after multiple days of salt water diving I let my gear soak in warm clean water in a cooler for a few hours to break any salt up...

Posted via Mobile Device

10. Charged

Charged Solo Diver

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I suppose that pretty much answers my question. Thanks!

Just to clarify, the quarry Im diving is about 20-30 minutes from me and has no rinse station available. So it would be ok to just rinse the gear after I get home???? This is a spring/rain fed quarry and has excellent vis.