Rinsing and storing gear on cruise ships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did not know that there were this many divers bringing their gear on cruise ships! Every time we did, we never saw other divers (just snorkelers) and the ship crew and dock crew always commented as we walked by with our large dive backpacks, “Divers!”

They seemed surprised, I think...but really not sure how to interpret the comment.

It very much depends on the specific cruise and scheduled ports. There are usually a pretty good number of divers on cruises that stop at the better dive locations, but most of them look like snorkelers as they leave the ship because they rent the rest of the dive gear, or it is supplied as part of the excursion. This is common whether they are using the ship's or off-ship dive op. On typical cruises, there may be one or two divers besides me that have their own gear, but occasionally most of the divers are carrying their own stuff. I get a kick out of the same question I am frequently asked on the elevator or waiting in line to disembark, while dressed in full dive gear as I described earlier: "Are you going diving?" I just say "Yes, and I am really looking forward to it," while thinking "How astute of you!", or more likely "what a dumbass question!"

Thank you to everyone that responded to my questions and provided a ton of much need info..Especially to .Bobroo. we will be on the same ship as you and I have already made inquiries for diving. I have heard back from Aldora in Cozumel, Takata in Coca Maya , and will be talking to Subway in Roatan next week when I am there.
My only concern is with Bahamas, I do not want to use the ships excursions for Stuarts Cove , There must be other good scuba outfits that will take you out for good shark dives without having to pay $179.I have to pay that for both my wife and myself, Thats crazy!. any one recommend other outfits?

FYI, direct from Stewart's Cover web page, it is $182 per person for a 2-tank shark dive.

FYI, direct from Stewart's Cover web page, it is $182 per person for a 2-tank shark dive.

Thanks for the update, it,s even worse than I thought. I have emailed Bahamas Divers to see what they have. they do runs out to the Blue Hole.

In case you do decide to use Stuarts Cove and take Stuarts bus from the cruise ship pier be ready for what can be a long bus ride. They pick up from all the resorts around the island. The last time I did it the trip out wasn't too bad but on the way back I thought we were never going to make it back to the ship.

Just now noticing this thread, but if you are still interested, here are a few of my thoughts:

We always bring our own gear. I know how well it's been maintained and it's configured exactly how I like it.

We use private dive operators instead of ship-sponsored operators when possible.

On most port days, the Lido Deck is usually pretty empty. When we get back from a dive outing, we'll take our gear to the Lido Deck and use the showers by the pool to give everything a good rinse, even if we rinsed at the dive shop. We'll then spread our stuff out across a few loungers to dry while taking a dip in the pool. Most of the time, it'll be pretty dry by the time the Lido starts filling up. We'll take our gear back to the cabin once it gets crowded. This has worked out quite well for us.

Have fun!

i like bringing my own gear on cruises,i seen some sketchy rentals in the past.the biggest problem i came across is after a dive bringing back my equipment wet going through the xray machines .i get complaints from security .i just smile and ask them what are my choices lol. most dive sights let me rinse my gear at their shops when we get back

Lot of great suggestions and ideas.

I don't have my own Regulator, BCD, or suit yet, so far....been extremely lucky with the shops I used while on a cruise. I do take my own mask, snorkel, and fins. I'm a minimalist when I'm traveling, so lugging around all that gear would be a bit of a bother for me...BUT, I know once I get more dives under my belt, and more cruises, I'll want to start bringing my own gear.

After my dive in September in Fort Lauderdale, I really want to save up and get a Dive Computer. At least that is something to really enjoy and small enough to pack with my gear on flight, and my cruise.

I'm pretty much a cruise ship only diver. I will book through the ship or privately depending on the port. I take my own wetsuit and rent everything else. I typically dry it in the bathroom or on the balcony if we have a balcony. Just got back from a cruise where I dived two days in a row. I put my wetsuit on a chair on the balcony and it was dry before I went to bed that night. As long as you clamp/tie is it down it probably isn't going anywhere.

One of those dives was in Nassau through Stuart's Cove. I tried to book it privately but the times didn't match up. I think they do that on purpose to get you to book through the ship. Anyway, I wasn't going to dive because of the high cost of a two tank dive but I checked just about every day and caught it through the ship for $150. Even though it didn't say so on the cruise ship website that price included all the rental equipment.

Lot of great suggestions and ideas.

I don't have my own Regulator, BCD, or suit yet, so far....been extremely lucky with the shops I used while on a cruise. I do take my own mask, snorkel, and fins. I'm a minimalist when I'm traveling, so lugging around all that gear would be a bit of a bother for me...BUT, I know once I get more dives under my belt, and more cruises, I'll want to start bringing my own gear.

At the very least, I would strongly encourage you to get your own regulator, over any dive computer purchase, since the hygienic condition of rental gear can range from potentially pristine to, more commonly, in my experience, a third world hell hole.

Since you're on a liner, I don't even have to mention the ubiquitous presence of norovirus.

While taking microbiology at university, one of our assignments was to swab everyday items and to run streak plates, in order to isolate and culture whatever we happened to find. A friend was then working at a local dive shop and we tested doorknobs; some random rental gear, all of which had received, so it was claimed, a cursory rinse. From ten or twelve regulators (via mouthpieces and second stage interiors), we isolated three strains of E. coli; Clostridium; Salmonella; Bifidobacterium; Cryptosporidium; Staphylococcus; and the lovely Candida, the causative agent of genital yeast infections, and thrush.

The handle and seat of the toilet at that late shop, along with the door knob, was actually cleaner.

Need I mention any of the rental wetsuit results?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom