Rinsing and storing gear on cruise ships

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"And yet . . . and yet," I was one of those lottery winners, years ago, wIth norovirus, while on a cruise, I had little interest in, with extended family, in the Caribbean. Once you spend several days, in your cabin, as a salad shooter from each end, spiking a fever, you'll have a greater appreciation of risk, and a lesser appreciation of tourist industry or even CDC statistics.

One other passenger, whom we met, an older man, was medically evacuated and had to undergo dialysis, back in Florida.

Yea, Regal Princess; lottery winners -- all . . .

"And yet . . . and yet," I was one of those lottery winners, years ago, wIth norovirus, while on a cruise, I had little interest in, with extended family, in the Caribbean. Once you spend several days, as a salad shooter from each end, spiking a fever, you'll have a greater appreciation of risk, and a lesser appreciation of tourist industry or even CDC statistics.

One other passenger, whom we met, an older man, was medically evacuated and had to undergo dialysis, back in Florida.

Lottery winners -- all . . .

I’ve taken 33 cruises. Will be doing my 34 in feb and 35 in oct. I’ve never once been sick on cruise ship. It’s a complete crap shoot and has nothing to do with the ship itself. It’s the people on board and how cleanly they are. Case in point I have had the noro virus at Disney world, it’s not a ship. Just full of random people with completely different levels of hygiene

I’ve taken 33 cruises. Will be doing my 34 in feb and 35 in oct. I’ve never once been sick on cruise ship. It’s a complete crap shoot and has nothing to do with the ship itself. It’s the people on board and how cleanly they are. Case in point I have had the noro virus at Disney world, it’s not a ship. Just full of random people with completely different levels of hygiene

"Crap shoot," eh? Nice wording. Well, mazel tov , you've had a good experience . . .

Thanks for the tip; haven't been back on a cruise line, since that scheiss storm in the late nineties; also don't attend pestilential amusement parks -- and haven't re-experienced anything remotely like that, land or sea in several countries, including India, in the last twenty years . . .

I’ve taken 33 cruises. Will be doing my 34 in feb and 35 in oct. I’ve never once been sick on cruise ship.

30+ cruises, caught noro on the last day of one... don't wish it on my worst enemy. :) And I work in EMS so the constant hygiene routine is second nature...

BTW, I just "last minute" booked another one next week diving in 5 of the 8 ports! :)

30+ cruises, caught noro on the last day of one... don't wish it on my worst enemy. :) And I work in EMS so the constant hygiene routine is second nature...

BTW, I just "last minute" booked another one next week diving in 5 of the 8 ports! :)

I worked iin toxicology labs after college and am well aware of sterile technique, and of the benefits of serial handwashing.

My responses to this thread, originally stemmed from a comment about rental gear, and how filthy it can be. Clostridium and Candida, really, in regulators? It later mutated, much like norovirus, into something else.

Bet that last day of yours had you thinking about snuffing it . . .

My responses to this thread, originally stemmed from a comment about rental gear, and how filthy it can be, through analysis. Clostridium and Candida, really, in regulators? It later mutated, much like norovirus, into something else.

Yuck! Honestly the main reason I travel with my gear isn't so much regulator and wetsuit cleanlines (though I will admit it does weigh in the balance), but simply the more immediate problem of having had a rental regulator fail during a dive. It was the last time I relied on rental gear.

Ohhhh yeah... not pleasant in any way shape or form. :)

I worked iin toxicology labs after college and am well aware of sterile technique, and of the benefits of serial handwashing.

My responses to this thread, originally stemmed from a comment about rental gear, and how filthy it can be. Clostridium and Candida, really, in regulators? It later mutated, much like norovirus, into something else.

"There are two types divers: Those who pee in their regulators, and those that lie about it."

"There are two types divers: Those who pee in their regulators, and those that lie about it."

Once again, to paraphrase The Right Stuff, "I have never compromised the integrity of my regulator . . ."

And yet....and yet... tens of millions (27 million plus last year) people cruise every year and an infinitesimal number of them get sick. Thousands of people dive every week using rental gear and very few get sick. Just saying that while you can cut the odds of getting sick by bringing your own stuff, the chances are pretty slim anyway.

"And yet . . . and yet," at last count, there were at at least two norovirus lottery winners on this very thread, both of whom were in the medical and / or scientific trade. Yet another contracted a serious infection from the use of rental gear.

What ARE the odds? I'd work them out for ya; but, you know . . . public school . . .

Back
Top Bottom