Rinsing regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This may sound like a disgusting question, but... Do you rinse your reg in the rinse tank after a dive? All the gear is rinsed in the tank, fins, mask, bc and, ahem, wetsuits. We all know what happens in wetsuits on dives when your bladder is filled with all the water and juice we hydrate with prior to diving. So, sorry to be indelicate, we are rinsing our regs, second stage that goes in your mouths, with pee laden wetsuits? yuck. Yeah, yeah, you never pee in your suit. Sure. Is that sanitary. Isn't that a health issue?

Yes, my regulator gets rinsed in the rinse tank along with all my other gear. My gear bag gets hung up to dry and some select items (camera housing and regulator) are taken back to my room for a more efficient and cleaner rinsing.

It's not the pee that would worry me. AFAIK, urine is pretty sanitary when it comes down to it. It's the disease, mildew, body oil, and that kinda thing I would be worried about.

I've never been on a boat with a rinse tank, but all my boats have been on fresh water. I'd either not rinse the reg, or rinse it with fresh water.. not a rinse tank that wetsuits go into.

pilot fish:
Do you rinse your reg in the rinse tank after a dive? All the gear is rinsed in the tank, fins, mask, bc and, ahem, wetsuits. We all know what happens in wetsuits on dives when your bladder is filled with all the water and juice we hydrate with prior to diving. So, sorry to be indelicate, we are rinsing our regs, second stage that goes in your mouths, with pee laden wetsuits? yuck. Yeah, yeah, you never pee in your suit. Sure. Is that sanitary. Isn't that a health issue?

One shop I dove with rinses neoprene after everything else.

I usally shore dive and bring a bucket of warm water. When I come out of the water, the computer, and 2nd stage go straight into the warm water for a rinse. At home I risne the computer and second stage again in a separate bucket.

Urine can be drank if necessary to survive.

In anycase by the time the wetsuit hits the rise tank, the ocean has cycled so much water through the wetsuit, I doubt the concentration is enough to worry about.

Urine only has 3% waste to it, considered sterile when coming out of the body. I usually use a water bottle to do a quick rinse on my reg and 1st stage.

pilot fish:
Do you rinse your reg in the rinse tank after a dive? All the gear is rinsed in the tank, fins, mask, bc and, ahem, wetsuits. We all know what happens in wetsuits on dives when your bladder is filled with all the water and juice we hydrate with prior to diving. So, sorry to be indelicate, we are rinsing our regs, second stage that goes in your mouths, with pee laden wetsuits? yuck. Yeah, yeah, you never pee in your suit. Sure. Is that sanitary. Isn't that a health issue?
So, by being concerned about rinsing the suit with other gear, you're admitting to peeing in your suit, right? HAHA! Who me? Well of course I pee in my wetsuit but I would never admit it! Uhhhh....gotta go.

pasley:
I usally shore dive and bring a bucket of warm water. When I come out of the water, the computer, and 2nd stage go straight into the warm water for a rinse. At home I risne the computer and second stage again in a separate bucket.

Urine can be drank if necessary to survive.

In anycase by the time the wetsuit hits the rise tank, the ocean has cycled so much water through the wetsuit, I doubt the concentration is enough to worry about.

Now you tell me? Yuck, never brought my own water for reg, as some of you smarter divers have. So, that's what you do? I'm thinking, if somone has a cold, let's say, and you rinse your reg, second stage, in that pee laden water [I'm grossing myself out] then you could get that cold, right? Stands to reason. Suppose there was some worse ailment and you're rinsing your reg in that?

OK, I'm looking for a hose from now on. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeooooooooooooooooo

Back
Top Bottom