RIP Bil Phillips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

decompression

Instructor...seriously...
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
i just heard Bil Phillips passed away, no details yet but apparently not an accident. A huge loss to the Cave diving community. Rest In Peace Bil.

Sad news. In 1996 Donnie Reid and Bil gave a talk at the Mix96 tech conference in Vancouver which was my inspiration to get cave certified so I could dive the Mexican caves. Met him a couple times when I was in Mexico. A pioneer for sure.

Oh no..... what a huge loss. Very sad news.

Very sad news. Met Bil in Tulum at his shop. Dove dreamgate with one of his crew. His was a pioneer. His name will live on the many maps he helped create. Rest in Peace. Hug your loved ones closer while you can.

Bil had a positive impact on many people over the years. He dropped into our office in Vancouver from time to time and people were always lined up to talk to him. It seems like the last visit was only a month ago, but I have heard he was sick for longer than that.

Bruce

Bil............thx for opening a new world and teaching me one on one to dive in Bamfield, but most of all, thx for being my friend!!! Whale sharks .........Mekong, Ban's Diving , the list goes on. I will miss you. You will be missed. As always your "Grasshopper"

Bil died suddenly of cancer on November 26, 2017. I do not have more details as of now.

I would like his amazing contributions to cave diving to be honoured and remembered in some way. I'm hoping I might help put together a memorial in Bil's name that could help underprivileged youth in the Tulum area learn and experience the cenotes that are rightfully theirs and that Bil held in such regard.

If anyone wants to join in this, let me know and we can explore some options.

I'm another student of Bil's. He left us way too soon. Condolences to his family. He was truly a giant in the cave diving community.

Back
Top Bottom