Rip / Tear in LCD, can it be repaired?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Harley1962

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Dear Fellow DSS Owners,

Has anybody experienced a rip (or tear) in the nylon shell material around the reinforced circular "plate" where the elbow-bend threads into?

My LCD unit is about 3 years old (but dived quite often), and I noticed a small rip there. Fortunately, the bladder is 100% intact but given the location of the tear (and it being a potential weak point now) I forsee the rip expanding.

Is this something that can be repaired or is it necessary to replace the entire exterior shell / cover? I have attached a photo of the issue here.

Thanks in advance for your (collective) advice.

HB

Attachments

• IMG_0167.jpg
    IMG_0167.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 489
at that location it seems to be to require replacement. If it was on a seam it would be repairable but a rip n the fabric itself is almost impossible to repair. Curious to see a rip there, they usually only happen if you're putting a lot of stress on the elbow

Dear Fellow DSS Owners,

Has anybody experienced a rip (or tear) in the nylon shell material around the reinforced circular "plate" where the elbow-bend threads into?

My LCD unit is about 3 years old (but dived quite often), and I noticed a small rip there. Fortunately, the bladder is 100% intact but given the location of the tear (and it being a potential weak point now) I forsee the rip expanding.

Is this something that can be repaired or is it necessary to replace the entire exterior shell / cover? I have attached a photo of the issue here.

HB

I'd recommend you return the wing for inspection. We will let you know what is possible after we inspect it.

Tobin.

I'd recommend you return the wing for inspection. We will let you know what is possible after we inspect it.

Tobin.
Thank you Tobin for your fast response, I've sent you a private message in regard to this.

Looking forward to communicating with you...

Harley

Dear Fellow DSS Owners,

HB

Harley,

We inspected your wing today. It's a genuine collector's item. It's one of the first 100 DSS wings ever made, circa 2003. It's easy to tell as it features the "open center" with strap style that soon changed to our current center section.

It also has a 12 mil bladder, we have not used clear 12 mil urethane since 2006.

It's possible to repair the shell, but I would not recommend it. ~13 years of frequent use has left the ballistic nylon shell worn in several areas, and any repair is unlikely to be worth the expense. Your 12 mil bladder also has a small pinch in it, I would recommend replacing it too.

Rather than purchasing a new shell and a new bladder I would suggest you retire this wing.

Tobin

Last edited:
Hi Tobin,

Many thanks for your reply. As I indicated when I left the wing (4 days ago) at DSS on Monday (per your instructions) I was hoping to hear from someone by telephone. I left a note with my contact details and local phone number but unfortunately I was never contacted by anyone at DSS.

When I finally called in today (Thursday), a young lady explained that you had "replied to me on-line", which I was a bit surprised to hear considering I'd left a note with my local phone number and direct email address!

Nevertheless, after calling into DSS I now understand the situation with my wing, and I look forward to speaking with you "directly" so that we can (hopefully) find a solution that will allow me to keep using DSS products and promoting the brand to my resort customers in Indonesia. I believe that I'd made mention of the fact that my time in the USA was rather short, so it appears that I may have lost a few days in the interim when there was no communication.

Please call me at 714 588-3780 at your earliest convenience to discuss further, or tell me when is convenient for you and I shall call you at that time.

Many thanks,

Harley

Harley1962, I hope you had a satisfactory conclusion to your wing situation. I unfortunately did not from the same offer of "inspection" by Deep Sea Supply.

My Torus 17, purchased in Jan 2012 and after ~100 dives, developed a slight seam separation, and because DSS Torus wings are fully sewn shut, I did not feel that I could do anything to stop the separation from spreading myself.

NgLXn8W.jpg

I emailed the above photo to info@deepseasupply.com in April 2014 and was instructed "You should send it to us. We will inspect it and advise." by Tobin. Since I was not that worried about the seam, and had a dive trip coming up soon, I ended up happily diving the wing for another 4 trips and ~50 dives.

Early this December, I was looking at my wing and thought I should really get that repair estimate, so I packaged up the wing and send it to DSS last week. It arrived on Wednesday 12/9/15. Since I did not hear anything from them via email or phone, I called the general number on Monday 12/14/15 and spoke with Erica. She stated that she would call me right back with an update after she located the wing. About 30 min later, she informed me that the wing needed a $100 shell replacement and that her technician thought my bladder was also suspect and recommended that it be replaced as well for $50. I declined both services as being too expensive for the slight seam repair and asked them to ship my wing back to me. Erica stated that the cost for return shipping would be $16.76 which I grumbled about but paid.

Imagine my shock when the box I received this Wednesday 12/16/15 contained the following:

Y1s44tS.jpg

They shipped my wing back completely disassembled as a bunch of loose parts!

I immediately emailed info@deepseassupply.com asking why they had shipped me back a worthless wing without telling me at any point that the wing had been disassembled. The reply from Tobin was that that is what "inspection" means and since I had refused the repair services offered, the simply returned the parts back to me. He did not seem to appreciate that I had never authorized my wing to be effectively destroyed just to get a repair estimate! Or that they never informed me the wing was dissembled when I asked for it to be returned! The fact that I had spend over $2300 with DSS over the years did not seam to weigh on his mind at all as it did on mine.

Summary:

• be very wary of any offers of "inspection" by DSS if you think your wing may need any touching up!
  • DSS does not seam to think it is important to inform customers that they are shipping (and charging!) a box of worthless parts to a customer who request that their "inspected" item be returned
  • I never have to think about buying DSS product again or recommending it to anyone
  • the HOG 23lb wing fits perfectly on the DSS Medium size back plate, and I will be happily diving that in the future
PS, HOG actually stands behind their wings and offers a lifetime manufacturer defects warranty and a 10 year pinch flat warranty on the bladder.

Here are the facts.

Boris contacted Deepseasupply over a year ago concerning a issue with his wing, and he was advised to return it for inspection. (We have the email)

Boris instead waited until a few days before a dive trip to return his wing.

DeepSeaSupply advised him that we would inspect his wing and report what was required.

DeepSeaSupply did exactly that. We inspected the wing. The wing held air, which usually indicates the bladder is OK, but the shell was unsafe and recommended a new shell at a cost of $100 and return freight. The wing was purchased in 2012 and as such was out of warranty.

Boris authorized the repairs via a phone call. (we have the call logs)

DeepSeaSupply immediately proceeded with the repair, in a good faith effort to repair and return the wing in time for pending dive trip. After disassembly of the of the wing discovered that there was some damage to the inner bladder. It still held air, but showed signs of impact.

At this point DeepSeasupply has, without compensation, inspected the wing, communicated our findings, received authorization to proceed, and had accomplished about 1/2 of the labor associated with a shell replacement.

DeepSeaSupply again contacted Boris to advise him that he should consider replacing the bladder while the wing was in our facility and disassembled.

Boris blew up, claimed all the problems were due to defects and as such should be covered under a lifetime warranty. We offer no such warranty. We do offer repairs at a nominal fee.

Boris then rescinded his previous approval of the shell repair, and announced he had purchased another wing from another vendor. He never requested that we dispose of his parts including a functioning power inflator, corrugated hose, elbow, though fittings and OPV, i.e. about $60-70 worth of parts.

DeepSeaSupply stopped working on his wing and returned the box of parts. Once a wing with a damaged shell is disassembled it is not possible to reassemble it with out considerable time, and new components, specifically the rubber elements in the center panel of the wing.

When Boris's wing was received it was unsafe to dive. It would be irresponsible for Deepseasupply to reassemble a wing using a shell that is unsafe to dive.

Boris has since made any number of false claims and threats. Boris has managed to leave my operations manager on the verge of tears, the very same person that was making every effort to get Boris's wing repaired and back to him for his dive trip.

Boris has claimed DeepSeaSupply is responsible for ruining his dive trip, even though he knew he had a issue with his wing over a year ago, but waited until a few days before his trip.

Boris now claims he never authorized any repairs. This is simply false. We don't proceed with repairs until we have an expectation of being paid for them.

I'm content to let the readership here decide who to believe.

Boris would like you to believe that Deepseasupply received his wing, inspected it, called him, was told to return his wing as is, but instead decided to spend an hour carefully disassembling it without compensation, so we could then package the parts and prepare the shipping documents in order to screw him out of the return freight, on which we make nothing.

When DeepSeaSupply requires a signed repair authorization in the future before we touch a customers goods you can all thank Boris.

BTW before anyone assumes others offer a life time warranty on pinch flats they should read this: #13

Tobin

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom