River diving for fossils in NC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chris.evans

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had a great time on the Cooper in Charleston, but it would be nice if there was something closer. Anyone know of similar spots in NC? A casual google lists some rivers near Greenville, but they're mostly people panning.

There are a number of rivers where folks find some fossils along the beach but have not heard of anyone who dives them. Rivers are very low viz. Like essentially zero. Folks who go for fossils in NC usually go offshore to fossil ledge. There are at least 4 ops that run there that I know of. You are talking 100 ft dives so usually nitrox and with some deep experience.

Yeah I'm sick of trying ledge ops, I have had three cancellations, all the day before, sometimes when I couldn't cancel my hotel. The cooper river was 3 foot to 2 inch vis and I found many fossils. Also 80 min 6-8 meter solo dives. If an op actually goes out, I then have a 5 hour boat ride, and 30 mins bottom time.

Any ops that run a fast six pack and do three dives?

Ideally I would look for rivers that clear out with the tide coming in. Surely there must be fossil divers who find this more attractive than going out to ledges?

Check any river that reaches 30 or so feet deep.Seems to be the depth in FL,GA and SC rivers.Vis will likely always be <5'.Report back if successful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom