Riviera Maya Grand (playa del carmen) HELP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tnsump

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am sscheduled to stay a week inJune at the Riviera Maya Grand in playa. Is there someone who services this resort? are there buses to good dive shops and DMs? Who would you suggest to dive with, 4 fairly newbie divers?

Thanks
Bob

Hi Tnsump,

the Grand Riviera maya is located about 20 minutes north of Playa del Carmen, you can take the local transportation, the collectivo's which are cheap, or a taxi which is costing about 18usd one way. If in Playa for diving, i always use Tank-Ha Dive Center, that shop is already in business since 1990 and one of the oldest shops in town. great staff, great service and very low turnover in their staff. have a look at Tank Ha Dive Center Playa del Carmen Riviera Maya Mexico Close and Beautiful Reef Dives Scuba Diving Training Snorkeling Cenote Cavern Diving. I know they give in june special prices and always a smile and great service.

Hi Bob,

Meerised has summed it up pretty well. The only thing I would add about the Collectivos is that they only pickup on the highway, 307, and they will only stop if they have room. Not a bad way to get from Playa to GRM but there could be timing issues getting to Playa. Wish I could give you a good shop to use, but the ones we use are in Akumal and Puerto Adventuras.

You can always do a short bus ride to Cancun and go out with Ben and Mayan Aqua Dive - Contact us - Mayan Aqua Dive offers Cancun Diving, Snorkeling, Cavern Diving, Cozumel Dives & PADI Courses. I did some awesome diving not far off the shore in Cancun last month - tons of fish and beautiful reefs. I don't know if Mayan Aqua Dive picks up in Rivera Maya, but they might, so I'd send them a note. My husband and I also took the ferry over to Cozumel and did some awesome diving with Ben. The ferry is very close to where you are, so this might also be an option. Have a great vacation!!!

My wife and I dove with Mayan Aqua Dive today in Cancun. The current was a bit quick (about 6 knots), but the dives were excellent. The staff of MAD really takes care of all the details and making diving a pleasure.

I spoke to Ben after our dive and he does dives in Coz as well....

Hi Tnsump,

the Grand Riviera maya is located about 20 minutes north of Playa del Carmen, you can take the local transportation, the collectivo's which are cheap, or a taxi which is costing about 18usd one way. If in Playa for diving, i always use Tank-Ha Dive Center, that shop is already in business since 1990 and one of the oldest shops in town. great staff, great service and very low turnover in their staff. have a look at Tank Ha Dive Center Playa del Carmen Riviera Maya Mexico Close and Beautiful Reef Dives Scuba Diving Training Snorkeling Cenote Cavern Diving. I know they give in june special prices and always a smile and great service.

Thank you so much for this link. I am booking the whale shark snorkel with them. They some how are able to cut out 4 hours of driving time to get there. I am so grateful. I was ready to charter a plane with someone, somewhere to cut down on time on the road. Now I don't have too! Can you tell me where they are located? I am spending one week in Cozumel and then one week in Playa Del Carmen right down town. June 20-July 3rd. Want to dive cenotes and of course Whale shark snorkel after Cozumel diving. Was going to use Yuca-tek but now think Tank Ha is better. I love Scubaboard!:D

Have a great trip and the whalesharks are awesome! Taking a taxi into town for your first trip in would not be a bad idea and for the four of you probably only 7 usd each...taking the collectivo with dive gear is just not fun. But after you do that first trip take the collectivo into town. Tank ha will store your gear for you so that you dont have to carry it back and forth. Most dive centers will do this for you in town.

Have a great trip and Tank Ha participates with other dive centers in a Saturday night BBq in PDC that is a not to be missed event. Divers from many dive centers come and share stories, swap pictures and just hang out. The food is great and a good deal. Ask lothar about it when you arrive in PDC at the dive center or Desiree.

Back
Top Bottom