RMO Bash #1 - Success!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We had a great time! Underwater Phantaseas N & S beat me there by like ten minutes, so we ended up with a sideline picnic table. Max Depth was 45', and temps were 61F on the surface, and 59F at depth. Vis varied from 30' to less than 5' when the silt was stirred up. And we found the plane!

Attendees:

Wijbrandus (Me!) and both guests;
Capnsnott;
DDavies;
Dimitrik;
RonFrank;

And that's it! Where were all the other people that signed up? No idea. But we had a blast anyway.

It was great meeting everyone, and I had a lot of fun.

Dan and I stayed and did a second dive, and I think we figured out how to enjoy the diving at Aurora more than I had on previous dives (however the plane was cool).

Rather then swim out to the area where the plane/platform, and all of the other divers were diving, we chose to start from the shore, and decend ASAP, and follow the bottom out to an area right (North) of the platform.

This proved to be a much more interesting dive, and the vis was 10' min with times that I could see the top of the water from 20+'. We found a ton of crawdads, and a toilet!!! In any event, I actually enjoyed the entire dive, and we mainly hung out at about 25' where the vis as about the best, the Dads were everywhere, and we hovered above their holes and chased them around. We both stayed off the bottom (very key) and the only silt was created by Dad's racing away from us as we got to close. You have to give credit to those creatures who upon approach boldly extend their claws, and got ready for battle (or maybe a it's a ruse).

In any event, after that last dive, I'm much more inclined to dive Aurora than after prior dives. Dan agreed that this was our best dive there.

Thanks to everyone who came out, and made the day enjoyable. Have fun in Roatan guys!!! I'll be thinking of you while I'm diving during the same period in FL.

We should plan another get together later in the summer, maybe Aug sometime. Next time we should likely call the Phantasea's DS's and see when they are scheduled to be out there in an ATTEMPT to avoid the 40 divers/students we ran into on this go around.

RonFrank:
and a toilet!!!

That might once have been mine. We lost one during a search and recovery exercise a couple of years ago. It would be interesting to see if my name / shop name is on the bottom.

Sorry I missed the get-together. Hopefully the next one.

Glad it went well.

Ron,

Next time you have to bring your camera and I will pose on the toilet. It should make a funny picture.

For the rest of you, I had a great time. I enjoyed meeting you all. I am not good at meeting new people but I have found that scuba diving is bringing me out of my shell. (no clam jokes please)

Wow, with that last post I moved up to Junior Member!

Will the rangers let us dive solo at Aurora? Or will the "scuba police" from the OW classes that train there give me grief?

novicediver:
Will the rangers let us dive solo at Aurora? Or will the "scuba police" from the OW classes that train there give me grief?

The staff doing the OW classes have plenty to do without policing non-client divers. Its' also not illegal to dive solo, so it's not like you are breaking any laws.

If you choose to dive solo at Aurora, that is your biz.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom