Trip Report ROATAN 2018 TRIP REPORT, PIX, & VIDEOS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
RTN_8514(LR6-trimmed).jpg

Buckle up Buckaroos!!!! Prepare to immerse yourself in all things Roatan . . . or at least in all things we experienced in Roatan (minus the rain).

The trip report, pix (both a dozen samples and the 100-image Smugmug slideshow), & videos are ready for your consumption. Here are the links:

TRIP REPORT - Roatan 2018 trip report

SAMPLE PIX - Roatan 2018

100-IMAGE SMUGMUG SLIDE SHOW - ROATAN - OCT/NOV, 2018 - kenkurtis

VIDEO #1 (Inquisitive turtle)

VIDEO #2 (Mary's Place dive)

Enjoy!!!
- Ken

Great report! Here's a few comments.

Some rooms on the key are not over water. we stayed in one of them at the back of the key by the shore dive shack.

There are definitely fish on the Odyssey. Nothing impressive but certainly large schools of bar jack, lots of goatfish and baby parrots, and other various fishes.

Returning to dock after each dive is also handy when you have a sim card failure or forgot to bring spare batteries.

Agree on the nitrox procedures. Analyzing your own nitrox is a sacred cow one is not supposed to challenge but I see no real need for it when membrane filled. If a variance of 1% matters then you are diving too close to the limits in the first place. And you're still "trusting" that the tape wasn't moved from one tank to another. Did you make note of the tank sn and match it to your tank on the boat next day? I thought not.

Not sure I agree it's ok to set computer to lower mix. When you have hard max depths of 110' and typically 80' then sure. But on a bottomless rig, MOD is an issue and I fear ox tox more than bends. In any event, it's unlikely you're gonna exceed NDL by much on AKR dive profiles. We dived air all week (except the wrecks) and usually last back on the boat and didn't deco so I doubt the nitrox divers came close.

Your fish sightings were about the same as ours a few weeks ago. We did see eagle rays on most dives. And the green morays tended to be free swimming. I wonder if we were shown the same toadfish? Our DM fessed up that he's been in the same spot for a couple months now. Large schools of blue tang. Large black grouper but not the big schools of them like a few years ago. Occasional turtles. I was less impressed with the corals than the fish. Too many diseased and algae-covered coral.

Did anyone find a green tripod on Four Sponges? o_O

AKR has an app. It has a ton of items, about 1/3rd of them complete, one of them is the dive log. You can click on your boat on a given day and see the dive sites visited. They update it promptly. By dinner, that day's dive sites were on there.

Another point of convenience is you can charge anything at all, from bar tab to gift shop to dive services - to your room number and settle up at end of week with a detailed printout to review.

Thanks for the report. I was at TBR a few months ago and we did see a fair number of seahorses while there. Most were VERY small. I noticed a lot of grouper as well which is a good sign. The sites up by TBR can be short of fish sometimes due to illegal fishing but the coral was nice.

I like how the Inquisitive Turtle went about spending a little bit of time with everyone. Good host.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom