Roatan Airport Closed to Larger Planes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There are some reports on TripAdvisor about travelers having difficulty connecting to Roatan because the airport is closed to larger planes because they need another fire truck - can anyone confirm that?

I know that the Cayman Brac Airport was closed for several days early this year because there was an accident with a fire truck. When the airport reopened they could only fly smaller planes onto the island until they replaced the fire truck. Maybe something similar has happened has in Roatan?

There was indeed an airport fire truck issue yesterday that caused the cancellation of inbound/outbound Roatan flights. The flights are showing that they're on time this morning, but I'd check back after the first departure time around 8:30am local time this morning to see if that's so. I'll update then when I know more...

Just got the word from airport operations: All is back to normal this morning.

"Normal" is such a relative word.

Today, Hartsfeld/Atlanta closed because of a power outage. RTB was operational for what, 18 months ? with (non-essential) power being shut off for non-payment of electric bill.

I kid you not.

Last edited:
We were on the United flight that was cancelled Saturday but reschedule Sunday. After an extra night in Houston, a delay of about an hour because there was a mechanical issue and we switched planes, then a mechanical issue with the new plane when we were on the tarmac, a trip back to the gate and maybe another hourish delay we landed fine at RTB. 27 hours late, but we made it. Weather is warm, diving is pretty much the usual and it’s better than working (or the snow back home).

Looks like flights to the mainland are now an issue. Hopefully things smooth out and the holiday peak goes off fine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom