Roatan and Utila Dive Op Recommendations Please!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pat Sharman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Going to be in the Bay Islands Jan 28 to Feb 6. Staying in West End on Roatan, and in town not far from the ferry dock on Utila.

I like boat diving and want to go to the sites with the best sea life. What Operators should I be contacting?

We dove Subway Watersports in Roatan which was the house dive op for Turquoise Bay Resorts. Great dive op, nicest newest boats I've ever been on. 2 DM's in the water on every dive, usually 3 dives a day, lionfish hunting friendly, can recommend them without hesitation.

Safe travels,
Jay

as you're in town on utila, i would recommend either UDC (utila dive center) or Altons. boats of the town dive centers tend to be larger and have a lot of beginners and people taking classes, ask UDC or Altons if they have a boat going out that doesn't have open water trainees on board.
imho the best dive op is Utila Cays Diving, their boat only takes 8 divers at a time and they separate the trainees from the fun divers. they're also the only ones that go to the Northside every single day but they only serve the rental homes on the south shore and cays and won't pick up people in town.
have a fun trip

Last edited:
I used West End Divers in the West End. They have a set dive schedule of three dives a day. They keep a dry erase board up in their shop showing where each dive will be 4 days out. You can just have your name added to any of the sights you want to go. You do not have to commit to diving with them for certain days. I think their schedule is 9, 11:30 and 1:30. They have a live webcam with a view from their shop showing their dock, you can see them loading an unloading the boats everyday. In the West End you can skip around to several dive shops if you wanted to fairly easily.

Live Cam West End Beach - Roatán

We dove Subway Watersports in Roatan which was the house dive op for Turquoise Bay Resorts.

Jay, I did not know Subway had a boat or shop on West End.

Turquoise Bay is a good hour to an hour and half from West End and expensive cab ride.

Pat,
Many GREAT dive Ops steps away in West End including West End Divers and Roatan Divers, Native Sons.....

Better question is what Dive Op should I aviod?

Where are you staying in West End?

Last edited:
SWS has a shop at French's, that's "only" half way to TBR. :D

That’s all great info, thanks guys. If I go with West End Divers, do I really not need to worry about reserving? Is it not high season still in early Feb? what about the other recommended ops? Are any of them likely to offer a discount for booking early?

Any more ideas for Utila?

That’s all great info, thanks guys. If I go with West End Divers, do I really not need to worry about reserving? Is it not high season still in early Feb? what about the other recommended ops? Are any of them likely to offer a discount for booking early?

Any more ideas for Utila?
where are you staying on Utila ?

Back
Top Bottom