Roatan dive op reccomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been to Roatan twice, in 2021 and agan last year. By my on experience, the reefs looked better last year than in '21. There was more color in the reefs and there was a lot more sea life, especially young fishes. But that being said, I don't think the Caribbean as a whole is anywhere near what it was just a few years ago.

I have taken my dive knife both times I've been there. But we stayed on the island both times.

But you have to ask yourself, just how often do you need it and/or have to use it. Just like in Coz, they're not allowed there either. So don't risk it, leave it at home, and enjoy your dives. Then plan a trip back to Roatan for at least a week. You'll love it. We stayed for a month last year.

One: there is absolutely no need for any kind of dive knife on the reefs in Roatan. A small line cutter will provide adequate support for stray fishing line.

Two: CoCo View does not offer services for day trippers. Only registered guests. Enjoy.

One: there is absolutely no need for any kind of dive knife on the reefs in Roatan. A small line cutter will provide adequate support for stray fishing line.

Two: CoCo View does not offer services for day trippers. Only registered guests. Enjoy.
I hear yah!!! However my dive knife has always come with me on every single dive to date. Thankfully I have NEVER needed to remove it from its sheath. It's also attached to my personal BCD. I do feel it's an essential dive tool and know where it is if its ever needed... but do get the whole security risk in this day and age on cruise ships. Honestly though, I see no issue with it being held by security on the ship and released for dives when you come off the ship. It's never been an issue on checked baggage on a plane.

Thanks for the heads up on coco view.

Thanks, DogDiver. I've never been to CCV so didn't know if they did or not. I hope to go someday. Our LDS does a trip there annually but the timing has just not fit our schedule yet.

We have been to AKR twice and they do have day trips for cruisers. It's possible that is where the dive excursion from his cruise ship will go to.

I've been to Roatan twice, in 2021 and agan last year. By my on experience, the reefs looked better last year than in '21. There was more color in the reefs and there was a lot more sea life, especially young fishes. But that being said, I don't think the Caribbean as a whole is anywhere near what it was just a few years ago.
You know that really great to hear about Roatan. I am really looking forward to it. I tend to agree with you that there is a slight but steady progression of improvement in the reefs I have been diving in. Hopefully that continues.
I have taken my dive knife both times I've been there. But we stayed on the island both times.

But you have to ask yourself, just how often do you need it and/or have to use it. Just like in Coz, they're not allowed there either. So don't risk it, leave it at home, and enjoy your dives. Then plan a trip back to Roatan for at least a week. You'll love it. We stayed for a month last year.
That's interesting... I have always taken my knife in ever single reef restoration expedition ai have done in Cozumel. I have come across fishing line because we restore reefs close to docks that have been drrgged luckily I didn't have to take my knife out to get untangled. I have been asked entering cozumel once about it but when I explain the reef restoration part. They understood and that was that. We do restoration in the park and we have never been approached by anyone about dive knives and I dove as a recreational diver many times in cozumel and no one has said anything to me. I am actually surprised that they are not allowed there and fines can be given. You'd think that someone from a dive op would tell yah!

Not to turn this into a dive knife topic but can anyone reccomend a cutting device that you are allowed to dive with. I see z-cutters and shears. I would def. want something with a seated edge and a small blade for fishing line and wanted something that can double as a tank banger or a rattle. Anything out there that does all three?

Seeing the Scubapro Jawz Ti is very interesting but also wayyyy too pricy for me and still looks like a knife although its anything but.

Actually, it is the marine park in Coz where they are not allowed. I should have been more specific. For line cutters that are allowed, these are better than knives. I have one of these attached to my BCD chest strap.
Scuba line cutters

You def. were very specific. I was shocked reading that because I dove coz. marine park so many times before and always had a knife on me and no one ever said anything. You are in fact correct though, they are NOT allowed. One lives and learns, I guess. Just glad I didn't learn the hard way. I am sertain the next dive the I wpuld have gotten a fine. That's how these things work 😅

Yeah saw that one as yours, they have interchangeable blades. My knife is Titanium and is still sharp without a spot of rust on it after almost 20 years. Mares titanium line cutter is essentially the same as yours but titanium and has a hinged serrated side that I am liking the idea of. Looks like I will be switching out the knife on my BCD.

Bare in mind that with the road construction between Coxen Hole and West End, it takes extra time to make the trip. Allow plenty of time to make sure you aren't in the news for missing your departure! For example, the afternoon dive is somewhere around 2pm. By the time you do the dive, get back to dock, its 3:30pm. No way you make it back to Coxen Hole by 4pm.

Back
Top Bottom