Roatan dive resorts that won’t survive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DogDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
So..... how many resorts won’t survive the prolonged COVID shutdown with no end in sight. My guess is that CoCo View, AKR and Fantasy Island can weather the storm, but many won’t.

I still haven't received notice that my 8/22 trip on the Aggressor boat has been cancelled, but it appears that the two prior to it have been. When I contacted them a couple of weeks back they had still planned on running them.

I'm very concerned about SeaBreeze Inn. There were some struggles before Covid. Sigh.

I think lots in West End will. I know I'm planning my annual trip.

Remind me, when is that please? Are there direct flights out of Toronto or YYC?

I still haven't received notice that my 8/22 trip on the Aggressor boat has been cancelled, but it appears that the two prior to it have been. When I contacted them a couple of weeks back they had still planned on running them.

ummm, consider what Liveaboards have been doing Worldwide since March. Any given liveaboard boat will be ready and waiting for you, it becomes your fault for not being at the dock to board... what did you want them to do? Reality is harsh, hope you bought some kind of insurance. Liveaboards are overall drawing a hard line on no-shows...that’s how they’re biasing this.

Some are “allowing“ partial (or full) extensions onto a trip within the year...but very few are actually accepting reservations. Good luck on that.

Bankruptcies to follow, the meters on boats keep spinning unlike physical dive resorts which can be tempered or abandoned to the property owner.

Our hobby is changing, as is the entire world.

Bankruptcies to follow, the meters on boats keep spinning unlike physical dive resorts which can be tempered or abandoned to the property owner.

Our hobby is changing, as is the entire world.

a resort property in the tropics starts to have serious issues when the power goes off for even a short period. You can't just turn off the power for 6 months and come back and turn it on and open. Between the heat and humidity, landscaping etc.. it's amazing how much damage happens quickly.

The meter runs on resorts when not operating, just like boats.

Bottom line, capacity will be an issue on a go forward for some time with regards travel.

we can talk about this until our heads fall off, but given the US' approach to coronavirus (i.e. NO coordinated approach), we all need to say our daily prayers that the first vaccine is super effective and starts going out by November. Because prior to that, it's all just a game of chance.

I finally heard from the Aggressor fleet today that they had cancelled the remaining August trips. September trips are still posted on the web site. There's still no word as to when the country will open up or what conditions will be imposed when it does. A voucher for another trip within the next year was received the next day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom