Roatan & FIBR Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

havnmonkey

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On June 25, 62 of us headed out for a trip to Roatan. We headed to Fantasy Island Beach Resort from Miami international Airport via TACA airlines.

First things first; the flight wasn't bad at all and the airport in Roatan was what I expected, small. The only setback was that we were a group of 62 and had to make sure all of our luggage stayed together; what is that like 120 checked bags and 62 more carry-ons? Taca did misplace a few peoples luggage in Miami so they were waiting for there gear the next day.

Before the return flight home our group leader was infromed that TACA overbooked the return flight; he had to go to the airport and make sure we all got on the plane. If you fly through TACA watch your bags and check the return flight so you don't get stuck on a tropical paradise for any longer than you originally planned.

FIBR is on it's own small island; it has many, many rooms and ours was quite nice. We were right next to the dive shop and right on the water. I do believe all the guestrooms have a view of the water.
havnmonkey

My G/friend and I were about 12 steps from our dive boat for the week, it was real convenient for us.
IMG_2081.jpg

None of the boats had any problems while we were there and the dive shop staff was very pleasant as were the friendl DM's very knowledgable and helpful. The one annoyance was bad O-rings on the tank valve, but everyone should be used to that anyway.

CRW_2072copy.jpg

The food was pretty good; breakfast, lunch, and dinner even a vegetarian could find something to munch on.

The bugs were not as bad as I expected, but we had a nice breeze for most of the week so it kept them at bay.

Most everybody came down with a bad stomach toward the middle of the week but 90% of those people were barely sidelined for diving; bring some diarrhea medicine and maybe talk to a Dr. to see if you should take anything stronger. There is a Dr. on the island and he is more than capable of getting you fixed up.

*****Gotta go to work. More on the diving when I get back!!!*******

Glad to hear you survived Roatan!

I took a look at your pix... did you get told what that hanging "critter" was above the Prince Albert Wreck? (Image 2564, that spider-like mess hanging from a line)

Learn more here: http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/post/ccv/vpost?id=516963 (paragraph #3)

Roatan has Shark Dives and Wrecks, but most of all, it has those tiny micro critters that wait in the reef for your DM to point them out!

Glad you had a good time. Nice pix all the way around. Love the DC3 Wreck image as well!

I too am glad you had a wonderful time in Roatan. The pictures were very nice, a lot better than mine...I took a couple hundred during the week we were there June 17 thru the 24'th and am still sorting out the ones where I can't tell what I was trying to capture. Most of the "duh-what was that supposed to be?" shots were of those little bitty things that Doc was referring to. Oh well, I only had the camera for a couple of weeks before the trip and am still trying to come to grips with all the potential settings.

The diving was good... Meaning it was exciting and dependable, I was never disappointed on any dive site and the sheer number of different sites amazed me. The viz hovered around the 50-60 ft range, but you really didn't need to see more than that because all the interesting critters were right there in front of you. The seahorses were pointed out by our very good DM, unfortunately they hid themselves in the most difficult places to photograph. You had to contort your body vertical and hold your cam out and take a blind shot and then review and try it again.

Some sites were beautiful vertical walls with plenty of critters to keep you searching. Some had deep sloping walls with the bigger, weirder fish. And all the dive sites had a good amount of 15-30 foot plateaus before the drop off to explore for critters and larger fish while also getting a safety stop in.

IMG_2377.jpg

Octopus hunting on one of my night dives.

th_CRW_2813copy.jpg

IMG_2234.jpg

CRW_2390copy.jpg

I only saw one eagle ray, it just briefly flew by on my return to the gazebo on the last dive of the trip; our DM was disappointed that none were seen during the week.

If you go to FIBR make sure you explore the DC3 and the Prince Albert a lot of good sized fish and critters hanging about, outgoing tide and a light wind is best for visibility. Also make a trip to the Coco View wall and back to the center coral formation in the inlet; you might be surprised to see some puffers, rays, and flounder as well as the parrot and angel fish. Ask the guys at the dive shop; they'll give you directions on how to navigate it the best.

th_CRW_2564copy.jpg

As for what this is? I don't know it looks like a the center of a steering wheel... but I'm not sure.

Also take time to enjoy the animals topside; the monkeys come out to play near the beach in the afternoon. Very entertaining!
th_CRW_2166copy.jpg

havnmonkey:
As for what this is? I don't know it looks like a the center of a steering wheel... but I'm not sure.

th_CRW_2564copy.jpg

Again: http://www.websitetoolbox.com/tool/p...post?id=516963 (paragraph #3)

The PA (Prince Albert) was a Nicaraguan tanker of 140' length, and in her last trip she carried many of her country's refugees from the conflicts that ended in the 80's. She was sunk intentionaly by Mr. Bill in late 1984, but she landed about 3' too far to the West- ask Mr. Bill and he will tell you that with real sincerity.

Resort guests dragged and laid out the heavy anchor chain (think about that for a moment), connecting the wreck through the cut in the reef to the dive platform- the wooden 8x8' deck that stands in 4 feet of water out in front of CCV's rooms. The chain connects to the wreck on the Starboard Bow (right front). Knowing these connecting points makes shore diving a very comfortable experience. If you stay to the wreck and the chain- you simply can not be lost.

On the foredeck, you will see the remains of something that looks like an octopus. Many years ago, a dive trip leader's wife hated her chandelier, so he disassembled it, catrted it down and hung it there for her to admire. There it still hangs off of the forward davit just as it amused the surprised lady diver.

Back
Top Bottom