Roatan info needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaizeNBlue88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife and I are planning a trip to Roatan in October and can't quite figure out where to stay. We're fairly new divers and haven't yet been diving in the ocean so we wanted somewhere that would get us the diving experience with plentiful marine life. That's not to say I wouldn't mind diving a wreck or wall. We want somewhere that's going to have dive operators that visit the spots with a lot of life. But we also want somewhere that's going to have a nice beach (maybe even a pool?) and other nearby things to do. We're not snobs in the sense that we need five star treatment, we just don't want to stay in a s***hole. We also don't want to go somewhere that's egregiously expensive and not have money to do anything else. Is the West End for just those looking to party (not really our style)? Is west Bay really overly touristy (also not us)? Everything I'm reading is telling me that you can pretty much have one or the other, the great diving experience OR the stereotypical beach-y Caribbean vacation. We're just looking for a spot where we can have that first Caribbean dive experience we're looking for but also kick back and relax on the beach or by the pool when we're not diving. We just need some advice and suggestions.

We will be at Turqouis Bay in 3 hours and I will be giving regular updates if wifi is good enough.

Awesome thanks! We were actually looking at Turquoise Bay, so that would be great! Our concern is getting there and finding that it's too noisy or not dive oriented enough. I would say our list of priorities are as follows:

1. Price, would like to do a week there for under $2000 (diving, food, etc.) There is wiggle room though.
2. Diving, want to get in a minimum of 2 boat dives a day, with an option for shore diving. Or 3 boat dives a day.
3. Cleanliness, as stated previously we're not snobs just don't want to stay in a dump.
4. A/C, I get hot fairly easily but I'm no stranger to heat (I'm a welder by trade). It would be nice to have a/c.
5. Location, we would like a central location with ease of access to restaurants and other activities.
6. Food, we enjoy a good meal, that's to say, we're fans of quality food. We aren't the fast food type.
7. Beach, need somewhere to relax when not diving.
8. Pool, just an added bonus, not absolutely necessary.

I know this is asking a lot for such a low price but we just want the best bang-for-your-buck, non-touristy, premier diving, clean, comfortable, relaxing vacation we can get.

Last edited:
Do a bit more reading in the Bay Islands Forum.

#5 is going to be the determining factor that will dictate your choice. Combine that with #7 and #8, you're headed to West Bay/West End.

You are correct, at least for now, you can't "have both" on Roatan, although many casual visitors believe this was their experience.

Be excruciatingly specific... Is that $2000/wk for 1 or 2 pax?

(Note to self, move this to Bay Islands Forum)

I thought of Turquoise Bay also after reading the list. It's a little east though - maybe a 10min. drive to the West End for dinner other than the on-site option. Too noisy won't be the problem there.

Or Luna Beach Resort which has everything except you walk/water taxi to the West End for dinner or water taxi to Wet Bay for dinner. It's also really quiet, the road into the resort only goes there. It's on the east end of the West End a little removed from everything else. About a 10min. walk along the beach to the West End. There might even be a shore dive there once you snorkel over the grass - it's just a pretty long way out.

About the only shore dive on the north side off a dive resort is Anthony's Key and it's shallow and not great. Neither is their beach. Plus it's an AI only so you're paying for food you may not eat. About 5mins. by cab to the West End. There was a BOGO going on, IDK if it still is.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out the nicer properties in West Bay either since some have all of what you want. And the cruise excursions pull out mid/late afternoon since they have to return to the ports on the southside for the sailing - Roatan is only a day port. If your third dive is 1PM or later - a few operators do 2PM, you'll miss most of that by the time you return. Check the port schedules, maybe you can pick a week to minimize that as well. CruisePortInsider.com - Roatan Cruise Ship Schedule - 2015

Sometimes the beach looks like http://www.infinitybay.com/content/en/images/DSC_6469.jpg
and others like http://www.hecktictravels.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/WestBayBeach_scalkins.jpg
- same spot near Infinity Bay - btw...guess which is the PR photo for the resort. LOL.

I can't really think of anything in the West End that meets your needs. Mid-week and later it's pretty noisy heading up to Friday night. We stay on the east point of Half Moon Bay and we could hear it drifting over slightly over the noise of the ocean hitting the ironshore. It's fun but if it's not your thing...Most of the resorts in that area are across the main road from the beach - some fronted by bars/restaurants. It's really not a great beach either except in one area - Sundowners Beach Bar is on it. A couple of the properties have designated areas with chairs etc. Sueno Del Mar is an average hotel that's on a small strip of beach slightly to the east of "downtown" West End. They have their own dive operation.

Here's a pretty complete list of restaurants:
The 10 Best Roatan Restaurants - TripAdvisor
Notice is most are in the West End/West Bay. The 1/2 dozen in Sandy Bay would be close to Turquoise Bay.
Can't go wrong at Argentinean Grille or Tong's Thai. Rotisserie Chicken for a more casual meal with great food. Consider the source also - Ooloonthoo is arguably the best on Roatan - maybe the best in Honduras - yet it's ranked 20th? Rotisserie Chicken is #2 for the food only, it's counter service and almost fast food except for the few tables out front - anyone calling it 10 best has been eating at McDonalds too long.

Note - I linked the wrong sort so click ranking at the top.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/redirect-to/?redirect=http://2sb.us/512180

Here's a continuation of my misplaced thread. If there's an easier way to move a thread then I am not aware. But anyway, looking for some info on where to stay in Roatan in October. To get you up to speed here are my priorities, IN ORDER:

1. Price, would like to do a week there for under $2000 (diving, food, etc.) There is wiggle room though.
2. Diving, want to get in a minimum of 2 boat dives a day, with an option for shore diving. Or 3 boat dives a day.
3. Cleanliness, as stated previously we're not snobs just don't want to stay in a dump.
4. A/C, I get hot fairly easily but I'm no stranger to heat (I'm a welder by trade). It would be nice to have a/c.
5. Location, we would like a central location with ease of access to restaurants and other activities.
6. Food, we enjoy a good meal, that's to say, we're fans of quality food. We aren't the fast food type.
7. Beach, need somewhere to relax when not diving.
8. Pool, just an added bonus, not absolutely necessary.

For more info, please see previous thread. And to answer the last question posted; yes, $2000 for everything for the two of us (with the exception of airfare, obviously). But again, that is flexible. I've looked at and considered Turquoise Bay, Coco View, SeaGrape, Splash Inn, West Bay Lodge, and Reef House. Anthony's Key is out because they're booked for the week we plan on going. Those, as far as I can tell, are the best compromises for what I'm looking for. Let me know if I'm wrong; I'm only basing that opinion on what info I can find on TripAdvisor, SB, and the hotel website.

One other point to consider...there's a lot of Sand Flies on the beach. And they bite. So besides wearing something with Deet in it, you may not enjoy that as much as you think.

We just arrived a few hours ago. TBR isn't near other restaurants or touristy stuff. It IS pretty secluded with a gorgeous beach. The staff here is amazing. Most of them are already calling us by our first names. Because we got in a little late, the cooks made us a late lunch to go along with our welcome drink.

We we checked in at the dive shop and I must say I am very impressed so far with Darin, the manager. We filled out all the required paperwork, then he gave us a tour, thorough briefing on the do's and don't see and schedule. For the diving we meet at the shop around 815 and will go out for 2 dives starting at 845. Unless there is a specific reason to come back, we will stay out for both dives. Back around 12:30 for lunch, then off at 1:45 for the single afternoon dive. Your gear will be setup and broken down for you each day.

The he accomodations are nice. Far from 5 star, but clean, nice and you are treated like royalty by the entire staff. NITROX is 32% and they run it very professionally.

I will ill start another thread later with this info and will try to update it a couple of times a day.

If there's an easier way to move a thread then I am not aware.
I did that for you, I'm a moderator. If you report your thread next time, one of us can do that for you. I've consolidated both of your posts now also.

SeaGrape has no beach - I stay near it. The waves in their website header shot are banging against the 6-8' tall ironshore cliffs. We can't even access the water there without taking a leap of faith and swimming around into Half Moon Bay to get out. I'm afraid to try it with gear, it's pretty shallow.

Splash Inn is across the street from the beach - in that area it's bisected by docks and pretty narrow. A short walk west is the better part of the West End beach. It's kind of in the heart of the bar area also IIRC. Gets good reviews though from people who've been there.

Reef House is on the far South side east of Cocoview. They don't have a beach either as you can tell from the photos of their deck abutting the ocean. That would be a 45min. ride to the West End for dinner.

$2000 total is going to be difficult to find with your list. Dives are running 10/$350 so at 15pp you're at $1050 just for that. You can save on a car by staying near the West End and walking - cabs are also cheap - I paid $6 once from Anthony's Key back to the West End. And the cab had to drive out for free. Food is pretty reasonable at most places - we never paid more than about $5-6 for lunch. There's a couple small stores plus street vendors sell quality fruits/vegetables daily from trucks - shaded, iced etc. as appropriate.

Let me think about it for a day or two - I need to contact some friends who did their DM there - they stayed really affordably nearby. If I come up with anything, I'll post it here.
One thing to look at is Coconut Tree Diver's Roatan page - they have links/recommendations for a lot of things in the area. Roatán, West End | Scuba Diving | Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras | PADI

I'm quickly discovering that my original assumptions are correct. That you can't have it all when it comes to Roatan. I'm not necessarily concerned with checking everything off of my list of requests, just looking for the best compromise, and hopefully best price. We're obviously looking to dive, so first and foremost the location has to offer a good amount of diving and hit the best dive spots. We also want to be comfortable and relax. Meaning we want somewhere that's taken care of (maintenance, housekeeping, etc.), has good nearby restaurants, and isn't too noisy or fast-paced. We can forgo the pool. Here's an easy list of questions that maybe I could get solid answers to:

1. Where are most of the "good" dive sites located? And what dive operators go to these locations?
2. Are there any locations with good beaches other than West Bay?
3. Is it necessary to get a rental vehicle or could we do without?
4. Is A/C necessary in October? I'm from Ohio so it's in the upper 50's to low 60's in October here.
5. In terms of diving, what's the difference between the North and South side of the island?
6. Is it easy enough to get to the West end from some more remote locations like Turquoise Bay or CocoView?

Please list any other information you think I would be interested in knowing. I've done a fair amount of research but I'm getting so many conflicting answers to my questions that I don't even know what to think anymore.

I think so far from what I'm researching, and correct me if I'm wrong, what you guys are telling me is: The West End is pretty much out because there's really no beaches and it's mostly partying. West Bay is more "civilized" but it's where most of the tourist-y stuff is given that's where the cruise ships come in. Most of the good restaurants are in either West Bay or West End. To find the quietest/most relaxing locations you have to stay at one of the more remote hotels like Turquoise Bay or CocoView.

One last thing, if you had to pick one place to stay that really does "have it all," where would it be? I know that question is vague, but put in terms of my requests. This is assuming price didn't matter. What location/hotel gives you, or rather me, most of the things you could want?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom