Roatan Marine Park needs help...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snodge

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I got an email from the RMP today and I'm hoping some SB members might want to help out. Because of the loss of tourism revenue they're saying they might have to shut down operations in May. At the same time they are seeing an increase in poaching and there's concern that will only increase.

Here's the email i got:

Dear RMP Family,

Thank you for your unconditional support over the last 15 years. It is thanks to you that we have been able to continue our mission to protect Roatan’s reef. However, right now the RMP is facing its hardest challenge to date, due to the unprecedent COVID 19. The island of Roatan is currently closed and tourism has been halted. Our Eco-stores which cover 45% of our operational budget are closed. With the current situation, we might only be able to maintain operations until May. We are asking your help today, because we need to secure our operation and ensure we can continue to safeguard our most important resources, the reef. You can make a difference and give life to the reef. Now more than ever, your support is essential to ensure that when you come back to visit us, the reef is still teeming with life.

Sincerely
The RMP Team
I've been a supporter for a couple years now and will probably up my monthly contribution to try to help a little more. If any of you love Roatan and have the resources please consider a donation to help out. Here's a link to their donation page:
https://www.roatanmarinepark.org/donate
Personally, I like doing a monthly donation because it gives them a known amount and I think that allows them to budget accordingly.

Also please reach out to your friends and contacts on the island to see if there's a way to help out the people who have no livelihood during this crisis.

Cheers, and stay safe and Healthy!

Roger

I got an email from the RMP today and I'm hoping some SB members might want to help out. Because of the loss of tourism revenue they're saying they might have to shut down operations in May. At the same time they are seeing an increase in poaching and there's concern that will only increase.

Here's the email i got:

Dear RMP Family,

Thank you for your unconditional support over the last 15 years. It is thanks to you that we have been able to continue our mission to protect Roatan’s reef. However, right now the RMP is facing its hardest challenge to date, due to the unprecedent COVID 19. The island of Roatan is currently closed and tourism has been halted. Our Eco-stores which cover 45% of our operational budget are closed. With the current situation, we might only be able to maintain operations until May. We are asking your help today, because we need to secure our operation and ensure we can continue to safeguard our most important resources, the reef. You can make a difference and give life to the reef. Now more than ever, your support is essential to ensure that when you come back to visit us, the reef is still teeming with life.

Sincerely
The RMP Team
I've been a supporter for a couple years now and will probably up my monthly contribution to try to help a little more. If any of you love Roatan and have the resources please consider a donation to help out. Here's a link to their donation page:
https://www.roatanmarinepark.org/donate
Personally, I like doing a monthly donation because it gives them a known amount and I think that allows them to budget accordingly.

Also please reach out to your friends and contacts on the island to see if there's a way to help out the people who have no livelihood during this crisis.

Cheers, and stay safe and Healthy!

Roger
I heard the same concerns from the last Diver operator I dove with in Roatan. I made a donation to them for a turtle nest protection program last year and my girls picked names which they enjoyed. I think I will make another donation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom