Roatan or Utila? Internet. Length of trip. So many things to decide...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi @terramar

Not criticizing, but how did you narrow it down to Roatan and Utila? There are so many places to dive in the Caribbean. There is better diving.

I have no experience on Utila. My wife and I spent a week at Turquoise Bay Resort last summer on Roatan. It is reasonably remote, a friendly bar, but no party experience for your kids if that's what they, and you, want. The internet access was good for our entire stay. Subway Watersports is on site, do a lot of teaching, would be a piece of cake to do AOW, would take less that 2 days of your vacation. They do 3 boat dives per day, no shore diving. The diving was good, but not excellent by Caribbean standards. Our time there was very relaxing, food was good+. Staff was very friendly and always helpful Turquoise Bay Resort/Subway Watersports August 2017

I'm looking to do a trip with my kids (ages 17 and 19) and get in as much diving as we can.

I've got about 50 or so dives, my kids about 10 after their OW certification. They're interested in doing their AOW on this trip too. All of their diving has been in Hawaii so far, and we're really looking forward to trying something new.

First question: Roatan or Utila? Given that we'll be mainly diving, is there anything to push us towards one or the other?

Second Q: Is a week enough time? Is two weeks too long? I was just in Maui for a week, and it flew by, so I'm leaning towards the longer trip, but I'm curious what people's experiences have been.

Third question Internet. While I wish I could completely unplug for the trip, but I have to be able to check in and do a bit of work each day while I'm vacation, so I'm hoping for a place with a decent internet connection.

Last one (for now, at least): What resorts should I put at the top of my list? I'd like something with comfortable accommodations. Near or on the water would be great, but it doesn't have to be fancy. All inclusive or not. I've started checking out Roatan Divers (roatandivers.com) and their suggested "The Beach House" as well as Utila Lodge. (utilalodge.com)

Thanks. I appreciate any advice and recommendations.

I've been to Roatan many times over the years. Utila only once but I want to go back. Best place for kids and beaches, West Bay hands down. Lots of people there nowadays though. Keep the kids close by especially in West End, lots of drug peddlers there particularly after dark. One of the nicest (?) places on Roatan is Infinity Bay, Roatan Resort | Infinity Bay Spa & Beach Resort. It is at the far end of the beach where the reef meets the shore. Great snorkeling close in. Best diving in my opinion is Utila, as stated above on the north side of the island. 6 of us stayed at Utila Lodge and did our diving with Bay Island College of Diving, BICD, Bay Islands College of Diving - Dive Shop Utila. One of our divers had not done his AOW so he finished it there after the online academics. The biggest advantage of staying at the lodge is NO SAND FLIES! Little bastards are all over the shore at Utila & Roatan, lots of DEET spray! All rooms are over the water, nothing fancy, but nice enough. You can either do the All Inclusive Plan for food or not. There's too many good places to eat in my opinion. Getting to Utila is a different story, we flew over from Roatan Airport (not cheap) but most ferry over. I'll let someone else share ferry recommendations.

Last time we did Roatan we stayed at Las Rocas, Las Rocas Resort & Dive Center – Roatan – Roatan premier dive resort located in West Bay Beach. It's a small dive resort at the eastern side of West Bay. It's much quieter there but very short walk to the beach and all the restaurants/bars. It's a series of cabins with a dive shop and small restaurant over the iron shore. A very small beach area though. It was enjoyable but might not be enough action for the teeny boppers.

Hi Terramar,
I am the trip planner of the family, husband is the diver. I am actually just reading while planning our second visit to Utila- went this time last year but avoiding Easter week next time! We stayed in a super reasonable rental house on the edge of town and rented a golf cart to get around- we are probably a little older than you (husband is 53) but we loved the laid back, low key vibe on Utila. After a lot of research and helpful advice, I contacted Alton's Dive shop for his bookings last year and he thought they were great. It would be close and convenient to the LIghthouse. It would not be far to walk from Mango Inn either- we ate there a couple of times and it was a nice spot.
This next visit we are renting a house in Treasure Bay and using Utila Cays Divers but the wifi is spotty and it is too far for your kids to enjoy town so you should stick to town - we felt very safe on Utila.

Thanks everyone for your input from your experiences I've taken some great notes. We're going to spend time on each island... first trip to Utila. Been to Roatan 3x before but last time was 2010 so this is great refresher info
cheers all!

Roatan, I can not help much with the advice department but I would like to Thank those that spent time sharing there advice and recommendations I and my Brother are heading that way in the early spring here. We are staying at the Infinity Resort and I am looking very much forward to the trip. I am new to Scuba Diving and this will be my 1st dedicated Dive Trip. Again Thanks to you folks and Scubaboard for the valued information. Blessing to All and Safe Diving Wishes!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom