Roatan scuba diving guide book?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rydog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We've got an upcoming trip to Roatan and really looking forward to it! I had been looking online for a good dive guide book for the area and I am not seeing anything recently written or updated. My concern with the older books is that sites change, property names change etc. Of course when I search the forums with the word "book" I get a ton of "I just booked a trip!" posts...

Does anyone have a suggestion for an up to date book?

I'd change my thinking on a dive book and use the internet. Dive books are pretty much dead, they aren't being written and the old ones are out of date. The internet updates daily and you should be able to find anything you want to know.

I bought a copy of Roatan Dive Guide by Ignacio Gonzalez when we were on Roatan last May. It covers 50 dive sites and can be purchased by Emailing mardiveguides@gmail.com. The current issue was published in 2011. You can also look for dive site information on the operator's websites. Coconut Tree Divers have info on north side sites and Barefoot Divers cover some of the southside sites, by way of example.

I'm not sure of the usefulness of a book anywhere like that - unless you have some control over which dive sites you might select to visit. On Bonaire, I can indeed pick my exact dive site, so a general description of the dive has some value, but since that's the case, such information is easily available.

About two years ago, a brilliant satellite map of Roatan was marked with dive site names. Great for the collector or someone with their own boat... What other application I couldn't say.

in the Red Sea, they have neat little per-punched log book pages for many of the wrecks complete with sketches. On Roatan, they have postcard size dive site sketches by "Liz", that make nice additions to your dive log.

Not only do properties (restaurants, guest houses, shops) come and go too frequently for a "book", but quality and consistency is a serious issue in any similar newly born concentration of economic growth.

The unasked part of the question here is easily answered. Roatan is a long, thin island that represents 50 miles of dive sites. Only the best and biggest dive ops have a service range of more than 5 miles in any direction... even then, they tend to stay localized and rarely venture further. Conditions on any given day vary dramatically depending on their base of operations with the additional part of the equation being the boats available.

If you wanted a basic "taste" of everything that Roatan might have to offer in terms of very distinct varieties of diving, you would need three weeks at a minimum. 1.5 weeks split between West & Northwest, 1 week on Central South, plus 2 days each on the Far East end of the North and South sides. When I envision this schedule, I am planning 4 dives a day for you :wink: and always watching the North side weather during winter months. Oh, and you're going to need about $3000 for just the diving.

Thanks guys. Yeah, completely understand the folly of the search. Having been to Bonaire I completely agree. Benefits are there for knowing the sites and you are able to pick what you are diving. Just looking for that something special to push our decision to stay NW or mid south island. Near or at CoCoView or Anthony's. RoatanMan, I did read a good breakdown of the different areas that you wrote on a different thread which was very helpful. And, I appreciate you giving me the $3000 for diving. :wink: JK. We are on island at the end of June. All 4 of us are rescue divers with 100 or more dives each and I tend to dive the whole time behind the camera lens. So many choices!...

The beauty of Roatan is you move off the mooring 10' and you have a new dive site. Or go in a different direction, I love "Not Mary's Place". Go left instead of right, or is it the other way around?

I bought a copy of Roatan Dive Guide by Ignacio Gonzalez when we were on Roatan last May. It covers 50 dive sites and can be purchased by Emailing mardiveguides@gmail.com. The current issue was published in 2011.

I exchanged email with Ignacio a couple of weeks ago. He's out of the guide right now. He's planning a new edition and won't have any more copies of the current edition for sale. He did say it was likely available for sale in some dive shops in Roatan still.

I spend my life online, but I still like having a book for the boat with a description of the dive sites to help prepare and to be able to compare the sites I've dove with those I haven't.

Of course, once I have the experience many of you do, I might not find this research as much fun or necessary.

Not a guide to dive sites but rather a guide to the reef life on Roatan is a new book Mickey Charteris. I think it has only been available for a few months. Compiled over 13 years it is 347 pages of photos complete with scientific names, popular names and descriptions of behaviour of marine life observed in Roatan.
The full name of the book is
" Caribbean Reef Life of Roatan, Bay Islands, Honduras " by Mickey Charteris
I think it is only available at Reef Gliders in West End or you can order from caibbeanreeflife@gmail.com
$40.00 and well worth it if you dive a lot in Roatan.

Back
Top Bottom