Roatan--- Splash Inn or Bananarama?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheQuickening1101

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We need a vacation. We are looking for a place that we can stay to enjoy the beach as well as the great diving in Roatan. I have never been there and I don't know how there beaches are.

Which one of these places can give us better beach access?

Are there a lot of beaches inToatan, I know this may sound like a dumb question if you've been there, but we aren't looking to stay at a "Diver's Only" place and never having been there we know little about the island, if some hotels like the splash inn are beachside. Or in close proximity to it, etc. any help would be appreciated guys!

Oh and we are going in late June/July.. We've read about the sand fleas and hurricanes and we are gonna roll the dice!

Or any other places you guys recommend!

Bananarama is in West Bay, which is virtually all sandy beach. We haven't stayed there but have eaten in the restaurant and it was fine. Splash Inn is in West End, which has a very nice beach, though it's smaller than West Bay. West End has more shops, restaurants and night life than West Bay. Both places have several dive operations to choose from. You can travel between the two by taxi, water taxi or on foot (about 30 - 40 minutes along the beach). As far as I know both Splash Inn and Bananarama are decent places to stay and are moderately priced.

We're going back to Roatan in May and will be renting a private house in West End this time, so we can do some of our own cooking...for a first visit I think the hotel/resort route is a better way to go.

West Bay has a beautiful beach with lovely swimming area and of course, Bananarama is right there. Splash Inn is across the road from the water, as in West End, most of the road runs along the water's edge, but no real beach area. There is a decent beach a short walk down the road and a better one at Halfmoon Bay. But for really enjoying beach time, one would want to take the water taxi over the West Bay Beach. For me, staying in West End is an easy trade off because I prefer to be in West End where there is more selection for eating and more activity in the evening. Prices at most restaurants are better too. To my mind, it is hard to do a Splash inn to Bananarama straight across comparison.

We really enjoyed our stay at and diving with Bananarama a few years ago. Posted a trip report at the time if you care to search for it. Some underwater and topside video:

[video=vimeo;19818216]https://vimeo.com/19818216[/video]

[video=vimeo;19706695]https://vimeo.com/19706695[/video]

Luna Beach Resort is midway between the two. Not as nice a beach as West Bay though. Advantage there would be a 10min. walk to the West End. The water taxi also picks up there. http://www.lunabeachresort.com/ - currently taking a about 30 seconds to load - that's Roatan...lol

If you do go to the West End at night from West Bay - the water taxi stops running about 9PM. Take a cab back, the walk is long, thru a dark area and not all waterfront. Cabs are always sitting in front of Half Moon Bay beach until really late. Should be a few dollars ride back - it's negotiable up-front. Once or twice I was offered less than I would've paid.

West Bay is supposed to be one of the nicest beaches in the Caribbean. As mentioned previously, just about everything on Half Moon Bay is across the road from the beach. And it's a lot narrower.

One other place you might consider is Barefoot Cay. It's a upscale, on the south shore and not near much of anything except French Harbor. Very nice property, nice beach (they rake it and spray for bugs) pool area and excellent food. Barefoot Divers is on-site - really a valet operation. Mary's Place, one of the signature dives, is 5mins. off their dock. They'll probably want to see an Advanced card to go there. Also they run over to Cocoview and dive the Prince Albert among other dives on the south side. http://www.barefootcay.com/

It's a pretty good drive to anything from there though. About 20mins. from the West End IIRC. We dove once with them while staying in Half Moon Bay.

IDK if it matters but diving with Bananarama means wading out to their boats. As seen on the website, it's not exactly far though...lol. I liked the looks of those Island Pearl villas also. Vintage Pearl is supposed to be one of the better restaurants on Roatan also. The best is probably Ooloonthoo in the West End - if you like Indian food.

What's your budget like? Do you have to have an ocean view? I'm a West End fan. I stay at Seabreeze Inn cuz I like the central location. I get the studio with kitchenette; too small for more than one person. The one bedrooms units have a kitchen, and comfortable seating area. My dives are done with West End Divers.

But right on the beach is a place called Sueno del Mar. Hotel room style nice bathrooms. Beach volleyball outfront, dive shop and op on premises.

Lost Paradise, cool and large stand alone type units right on the beach, with their own private swim area. They also have some units on the other side of the road, so if you chose Lost Paradise make sure you are guaranteed a beachside unit and preferably one closer to the water and not one of the beachside units that back onto the road.

We stayed at Las Rocas last year. It's just at the east end of West Bay...not on a sandy beach but very close. Rooms are rustic but comfortable and clean. Breakfast is provided and other meals are available, but a bit pricey IMO. The dive shop on site is good and comparable in price to others in West Bay and West End. Resort and dive shop staff were all great.

I saw this place Georphi's. rooms are like 25/night! Anyone heard of this place. What's the catch?!

No catch. Rooms are simple but adequate and beautifully set up on stilts in jungle canopy. There are large wrap around decks in front of units. Do you get air-con for $25?? Hmm there are some other little hut type rooms down on the ground maybe they are the $25? Oh, and I think that is low season too.

Just don't stay at Crystal Beach Cabins or anything the owners are involved in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom