Roatan Tec center, coconut tree divers, half moon bay cabins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used CTD 5 or 6 times. I have nothing but the best to say about them. If I were going to dip into Tec diving Monty would be the guy I would use. The cabins are great for keeping a large group close together but they are the weak spot in the package. Some of the cabins are good but I have had trouble with some of the showers in others. When I go back I will stay up the street and walk to the shop.
Typically, when we have gone as a club, they dedicate one boat to the club for two morning dives. Depending on how many want to dive in the afternoon I might change over to the smaller boat. Its not a problem.

Roatan Tec Center is the Tec website for Coconut Tree Divers. Monty the owner is a very experienced Tec Diver, there is more than one qualified Tec instructor at the shop. There are frequently large boats with a small number of Tec Divers going out.

I took sidemount & Tec 40 with Monty at Coconut Tree Divers. He went out of his way to make sure I had everything I needed for my week there which included re-rigging all of my gear and tweaking my rig and making sure trim was spot on. When I brought stupid split fins, he let me borrow Will’s (the course director), didn’t hurt that Will was away on holiday. He was competent & thorough and took the time necessary to make sure I mastered the skills for the class. I can only imagine how boring it must have been to teach me to swim in sidemount. My sidemount class was 1:1, just me & Monty and Tec 40 had 1 other student, one of his DM’s. At the end of the class I got to dive with two DM’s and one of their friends on a very cool extended special dive.

The one thing I’m not a fan of is Padi. I took Tec 40 then took TDI Advanced Nitrox & Deco procedures with a local instructor back home. It was my choice and honestly it just suited my needs better and gave me the local cred I needed. Padi seems to split 1 class into 3 separate offerings IMHO.

I stayed at Coconut Tree cabins just across the street. Those cabins were spartan but adequate for just me since I was alone. The wife would have demanded better accommodations and willing to pay the difference. It was OK for the value. I loved eating the baleads from the lady on the street next door, very tasty. Sundowners for beers is awesome too.

I’d go back in a heart beat and have my eye set on a week of rebreather diving there as soon as I can schedule it.

We are going for a week and decided to do sidemount and tdi advanced nitrox. Why did you choose to do tec 40 over the tdi advanced nitrox?

I don’t think he offered TDI at the time.
I think monty did, he just preferred teaching padi tue to recognition and cost. he was super thorough, conservative and always emphasized safe diving practices. Any idea if he is still teaching? he deserves a major shoutout!!!

We did TDI training with Monty at Roatan Tec Center last year, going through sidemount, advanced nitrox and deco procedures within the span of a week. A few other DMs were in the sidemount class with the two of us, but the rest of the advanced nitrox and deco procedures was just us two and Monty. I cannot say enough how professional and skilled Monty is at teaching this stuff, he made it fun while still keeping the seriousness and full content of the courses. It has, to-date, been some of my favorite educational components in my diving experiences thus far! I remember Monty mentioning that he much preferred the TDI courses over PADI, I think it was related to how the curriculum was structured.

We stayed at Cocolobo and strolled over to Roatan Tec Center every morning after breakfast. It was super chill and quiet there at Cocolobo, but if you did want to party or go out for good food, there were plenty of options further down past Coconut Tree Divers or you can stop by Sundowners on your way back for a drink.

Would go back to Roatan Tec Center in a heartbeat! 💕

Reactions: Doc
I think monty did, he just preferred teaching padi tue to recognition and cost. he was super thorough, conservative and always emphasized safe diving practices. Any idea if he is still teaching? he deserves a major shoutout!!!
Maybe so, I didn't ask. If I were to do it over, I'd do TDI ANDP rather than PADI.

Slightly off subject but it may be of interest, a group of Tec instructors from UDC (Utila Dive Center) did a 400 ft dive this week, a new record for the island.

Attachments

• 305614388_10159886269524070_5419912493337219311_n.jpg
    305614388_10159886269524070_5419912493337219311_n.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 305562510_10159886269184070_6228138155964298955_n.jpg
    305562510_10159886269184070_6228138155964298955_n.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 44
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom