Trip Report Roatan Trip Report: CoCo View, July 2018

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ironborn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The Bottom Line Up Front

The quality of this first trip of mine to the Bay Islands exceeded my expectations and was one of my most enjoyable Caribbean dive trips so far. I found that the positive reputation and customer loyalty of CoCo View (CCV) is well-deserved. CCV runs a good resort and dive operation, although I might have preferred a few things differently. This trip yielded good value for the money but would have been even better in that regard if it were not for the overpriced, inconvenient, and poorly operated flights. The health of the reefs and the abundance and diversity of the mobile marine life, particularly of the smaller varieties, exceeded my expectations and was as good as I have seen anywhere else in the Caribbean. Strong surface chop and surge at depth, rain, and reduced visibility were factors but ultimately failed to detract significantly from the quality of my experience. I will return to CCV, but before I consider becoming a “CoCo Nut,” I want to visit Utila and other parts of Roatan, for the sake of variety.

Why Did I Go There?

I have been sampling different dive destinations and types of dive operations, in the interest of variety and broadening my horizons and experience, rather than “settling down” with my favorites (Bonaire shore diving and Philippines muck diving). Roatan is such a popular destination for North American divers that I decided to try it. Other factors included: the popularity and distinctiveness of the CCV “terrestrial liveaboard” or “dive camp;” CCV's shore diving and house wreck; the reputation of the south side of Roatan for macro; CCV's reasonable rates; and my general interest in Latin America. I researched other Roatan resorts but did not find any of them more appealing than CCV. I wanted to try more resorts, rather than liveaboards, but the often steep single supplements at many resorts have been a deterrent to this solo traveler. CCV has some accommodations for solo guests without a single supplement, but none of those accommodations were available for my week (the 4th of July week). I bit the bullet and paid the relatively reasonable single supplement for the next-cheapest room.

Why Do I Hate Airlines?

Flying to Roatan from New York was both expensive and inconvenient. I have had similar issues with flights to elsewhere in Central America (Belize and Costa Rica), but Roatan takes the cake. As with other flights to Central America, they tend to leave from Florida, Texas, or elsewhere in the South at times that must be very convenient for locals but require unusual departure times for those flying in from elsewhere for those connecting flights. I grumbled about flying out of JFK before the crack of dawn until I met a couple that flew overnight from Seattle in order to make their connection.

The narrow range of options was another issue. Flights on the three U.S. airlines that serve Roatan – United, Delta, and American – tend to leave or arrive around the same times and had nearly the same prices, which smelled like anti-competitive collusion to me. I went with American because I already had many rewards points with them and their connection via Miami would have yielded the shortest trip – if it had been on time; three of my four flights experienced delays. The Miami airport is a zoo; it took 45 minutes to get to the gate for my outgoing flight and almost two hours for my return flight, which I would have missed if it had not been late anyway. To top it all off, they damaged my checked suitcase that contained my dive gear on the way back in Miami. I had read many complaints about the Roatan airport that made it sound like something out of a Quentin Tarantino movie, but it was not that bad compared to Miami. Yes, the immigration line was long and took about an hour, but that only problem was due to the tendency of the U.S. airlines to schedule their arrivals at around the same time.

To top it all off, the airfare was overpriced. This inconvenient connecting flight cost more than my convenient non-stop United flight at a reasonable hour from Newark to Bonaire, which is notorious for high airfare. In fact, this connecting 7-hour itinerary to the Caribbean cost more than my 22-hour direct flight from JFK to the Philippines, which simply boggles my mind.

Dive Camp”

The frequent use of the term “dive camp” to describe CCV is very accurate. Its look and feel are more like that of summer camp than the sometimes luxurious connotations of the term “resort.” I was there to dive five times a day and saw no need for fancy facilities. My room itself was larger and nicer than I had expected and more than adequate for my very limited purposes. I actually appreciated CCV's quaint, rustic vibe, including the omnipresent Jesus lizards, crabs, and hummingbirds (which make great subjects for macro photography enthusiasts). I had read horror stories about Roatan's sand fleas and mosquitos and thus came prepared with Cactus Juice. I applied it whenever I was out of the water for extended periods and had only a few minor bites over the course of the week in spots that I may have missed. I have had worse problems with the insects in New York than I did in Roatan. The meals were better than I would have expected from buffet service, including steak and lobster on Friday night.

Terrestrial Liveaboard”

I did every possible dive, including the option to do the orientation dive for the house reef/wrecks/walls upon my arrival on Saturday afternoon instead of Sunday morning. I thus logged 27 dives in a week (they canceled one night dive due to water conditions), which, as far as I know, is only possible elsewhere in the Caribbean on Bonaire or liveaboards. It was easy to find buddies for night dives or other shore dives if necessary, typically on one's boat for the week, or in the dining/bar area. The crowd was quite friendly and sociable, in my experience. I paid for Nitrox and reserved Nitrox-compatible aluminum 100 tanks, which are available at no extra charge. Tank fills were always complete, and Nitrox blends were never off by more than 1-2%. Our guide limited bottom times for boat dives to 60 minutes; there were no time limits for self-guided shore or boat-to-shore “drop-off” dives.

CCV's boats were of above-average size, providing stability in the often rough seas that week. They were thus a bit slow, but only one or two of our boat rides were notably long. Water entries were giant strides off the stern or either side. The midship moon wells provide a safer water exit in rougher seas and were a good investment, as we used them for all but one or two of the boat dives that week. They do nonetheless require one to be more careful of hitting one's head on the hull as one ascends, especially in rough seas. The boats had camera rinse tanks. Those with complex or expensive camera rigs with which one would not want to jump into the water should be ready to receive them quickly from crew members after entering the water for the boat-to-shore drop-off dives. The crew does not moor the boat when dropping off divers for those dives, so the boat can quickly drift away. It is best in such a situation to jump off the side and drift to the stern, where one grabs it from a crew member.

My only significant criticism of CCV's dive operation concerns the size of the groups on each boat, with up to 10 or more divers per guide - notably higher than most other dive operations of this caliber. I imagine that they form such large groups in order to make more cost-effective use of their larger boats, but they could have added a second guide to each boat and broken us up into two smaller groups on-site. It could occasionally become a bit crowded when we found something interesting. The guides nonetheless managed such large groups about as well as one could have hoped.

Our guide for the week demonstrated remarkable wildlife spotting skills, including a sharp eye for macro. I would say that, in my experience, only the guides in the Philippines demonstrated stronger skills in this area. Finding a seahorse or a pipefish is hard enough as it is, but doing so while leading a group of up to 10ish divers in often sub-par visibility and strong surge was quite an accomplishment.

Paul on Instagram: “Seahorse, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #macro…”

Other than the reasonable 60 minute limit for boat dives, CCV was flexible as an operator – there were no “scuba police” here. Among other things, they evidently allow solo diving, either from the boats or shore. One guest on our boat always went on his own separate dive plans by himself. The guide also allowed a tech and sidemount diver on our boat to dive his own significantly deeper profiles as he followed beneath us, sometimes below recreational depths. I did one drop-off dive by myself when no one else on the boat wanted to do one, and I also did a shore dive by myself when our boat had to abort the drop-off due to high winds and waves (shore diving conditions were fine though). The only significant restriction was when the night divemaster canceled one night dive due to a rip current in the shallow reef path to shore and unusually low visibility. I wanted to do a night dive on my first night after my arrival on Saturday, but the only other person who wanted to do one had already gone out by himself. The night divemaster advised me (correctly, in my opinion) against going out at night alone on a relatively unfamiliar site (the other diver who had gone out alone was a repeat guest). It did not sound like he would have prohibited me from going out alone if I had disregarded his sound advice, and I got the impression that I could have gone out alone at night later that week if I had wanted to do so.

(to be continued...)

Roatan Shore Diving Made Easy”

CCV shore entries and exits are easy and provide a welcome relief from the risk of spraining an ankle on Bonaire. CCV has also added navigational aids underwater, and the guides make it easy to remember one's way around. One wades out to the shore diving platform in about 3-4 feet of water, which provides support to put on one's fins. Be careful where you put your fingers, though: the below barracuda had taken up residence under the platform that week. The platform is also crawling with crabs at night. In my opinion, it is a good sign to see marine life before one even puts on one's fins.

Paul on Instagram: “A barracuda hiding under the shore diving platform at @cocoviewresort in Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “A crab on the shore diving platform at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

A chain with small buoys leads one through the sea grass to a path through some very nice shallow reef to the safety stop buoy. There are often a lot of critters in this area (see below), so it is worth taking the time to poke around on the way back, rather than simply staring at one's computer. I watched the below mantis shrimp build his burrow here over the course of the week. In the unlikely event that you do not see anything else here at night, feed bloodworms to the local anemone (see below):

Paul on Instagram: “Mantis shrimp, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #scubadiving #diving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #macro…”

Paul on Instagram: “Sea anemone, Roatan, Honduras. From a dive at the house reef of @cocoviewresort. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “A sea anemone eating bloodworms on the house reef of @cocoviewresort in Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “A hermit crab on the house reef of @cocoviewresort. Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #scubadiving #diving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Pederson cleaner shrimp, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #macro…”

Paul on Instagram: “Lobster, Roatan, Honduras. #scubadiving #scuba #diving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #sealife #marinelife…”

From here, one can follow the buoyancy control diamonds across the sandy area to the Prince Albert shipwreck; many guests saw rays over the sand (I personally saw only one or two). I have not had as many opportunities to dive wrecks as I would have liked until this trip, and the Prince Albert definitely enabled me to scratch that itch. The coral and sponge growth on the wreck is surprisingly dense and healthy, considering the amount of diver traffic that it receives, and it shelters many different critters.

Paul on Instagram: “The Prince Albert shipwreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Sponges growing on the Prince Albert shipwreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Sea fans growing inside the Prince Albert shipwreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Sea fan growing on the Prince Albert shipwreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Soft coral growing on the Prince Albert shipwreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Sponges and soft coral growing on the Prince Albert shipwreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “Sponges growing on the Prince Albert shipwreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “A brittle star on a sponge on the Prince Albert shipwreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “An arrow crab on the Prince Albert shipwreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “A grouper inside the Prince Albert shipwreck at @CocoView, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “An octopus at night on the Prince Albert shipwreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scubadiving #scuba #diving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Sea turtle on the Prince Albert shipwreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Another line from the Prince Albert's port side leads to the neighboring DC-3 airplane wreck(age). The airplane is no longer intact and is thus of greater interest as shelter for marine life (particularly macro) than as a structure per se. The DC-3 wreck(age) seemed to attract a lot of crustaceans in particular.

Paul on Instagram: “Fish inside the DC-3 airplane wreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Feather duster worm on the DC-3 airplane wreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Squat shrimp on the DC-3 airplane wreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

The DC-3 wreck(age) leads to the beginning/end of Newman's Wall. In the opposite direction from the safety stop buoy, one can swim over a sandy slope with isolated patches of growth to the beginning/end of CCV Wall. Visibility was often well below-average in or near the sandy area that contains the wrecks. When the boats dropped me off on either wall and I worked my way back to shore, I knew that I was approaching this area because the visibility decreased significantly.

It took me under 30 minutes to go one way along either of the two walls, and one can spend another 20-30 minutes exploring the wrecks. A CCV drop-off dive can thus take one through an unusually wide range of environments in about an hour, which makes it feel longer and more “epic:” wall, sand, wreck, shallow reef, and sea grass. I had been concerned that the drop-off dives would become repetitive, but they did not, partially because of this wider range of environments and also because of the abundant creatures on the Prince Albert and DC-3 wreck(age), near the safety stop buoy, and in the shallow reef and sea grass. I preferred Newman's Wall to CCV Wall. The top of Newman's Wall had denser reef growth, and the whole of that wall had more ambient light at all depths. I also found more critters on Newman's Wall. CCV Wall had more interesting topography and was better for deeper dives. I was able to maintain variety when diving these walls repeatedly by diving at different depths each time.

With that said, I would have preferred more boat dives at other sites and fewer drop-off dives on the house walls/wreck/reef, in the interest of variety. I presume that drop-off dives enable CCV to offer more dives at a lower cost in fuel and labor. I would be willing to pay more and/or do one fewer dive per day (four instead of five), if we could do more boat dives at other sites. I understand that CCV sometimes offers three-tank boat trips to more distant areas if weather permits (it probably would not have permitted much of that week), but even a greater variety of closer sites would have been an improvement. The repeated dives in the same areas did not become repetitive during this trip, but I would be concerned that these house walls/wreck/reef would become too repetitive if I returned often.

(to be continued...)

Coral and Critters

The reef growth was as healthy, dense, and lush as I have seen anywhere else in the Caribbean and even in the Philippines. The richest reef growth that I saw in Roatan was at the famous “Mary's Place,” whose popularity I found to be well-deserved. It often appeared that the density of the growth had led some coral and sponges to grow in unusual shapes or positions in order to claim what little space remained. Some of the sponges had unusual shapes that reminded me of Salvador Dali paintings. The reefs had higher proportions of sea fans and other soft coral growths and in larger sizes than I have seen elsewhere in the Caribbean. I wondered if this preponderance of soft coral was due to the widespread surge or other local conditions, e.g. perhaps they fare better in surge or “overcrowding” than hard coral because they are flexible or the surge brings them more food as they “flap in the wind.” As for hard coral, I saw more elkhorn coral and in larger formations than I have seen anywhere else.

Paul on Instagram: “Sea fans, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #wideangle…”

Paul on Instagram: “Sea fans on Newman’s Wall at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Sea fan on Newman’s Wall at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Sea fans on Newman’s Wall @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Sea fan on Newman’s Wall at @cocoviewresort , Roatan, Honduras. #scubadiving #scuba #diving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Sea fan on Newman’s Wall @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scubadiving #scuba #diving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Sea fans, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #wideangle…”

Paul on Instagram: “Elkhorn coral, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #wideanglelens…”

Paul on Instagram: “Elkhorn coral, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #scubadiving #diving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #wideangle…”

Paul on Instagram: “Elkhorn coral, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #wideangle…”

Paul on Instagram: “Sponge, Roatan, Honduras. Doesn’t it look like a heart? #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Sponge, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #wideangle #wideanglelens…”

Paul on Instagram: “Sponges, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #scubadiving #diving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #wideangle…”

Our dives yielded many noteworthy creature encounters, occasionally at the same time, which I view as as a sign of a dense, diverse environment. I have only experienced this level of density and diversity in Bonaire, Belize's Lighthouse Reef, and the Philippines. You know that the diving is good when the guide tries to draw your attention away from something interesting that he just highlighted, e.g. a turtle, to show you something more interesting, e.g. a seahorse. You know that the diving is good when someone tells you that you missed something interesting, e.g. an eagle ray, because you were looking at something else of interest, e.g. a lobster. Many of these creatures were on the smaller side. I understand that some macro enthusiasts value the south side of Roatan for its macro opportunities, and I would agree that it is as good as anywhere else I have been in the Caribbean in that regard, if not better.

On the larger side, I did get a passing glimpse of a Caribbean reef shark. Other guests reported several sightings of eagle and southern rays, but I saw only one or two of the latter. The large predators that I encountered most frequently were barracudas and green moray eels, the latter of which were more common and salient than anywhere else I have been in the Caribbean, except Belize's Lighthouse Reef. I have also never seen them swimming freely out of their holes so often and approaching divers so assertively, except perhaps in Belize. They acted as if they “owned the place.” One of them appeared out of nowhere and charged at me, or perhaps he was trying to “photobomb” me, as I was preparing a macro shot of some jawfish (he must not have known that I had the wrong lens to shoot him properly). We also witnessed an unusual instance of two green morays “canoodling,” for lack of a better term, as if they were a mated pair, which baffled even our clearly knowledgeable guide. There were also a resident spotted moray in the DC-3 wreck(age) and a few goldentail morays at other sites. There were a few sizable groupers on the Prince Albert and at other sites, one of which was nearly as large as me.

Paul on Instagram: “Free-swimming green moray eel, Roatan, Honduras. #scubadiving #scuba #diving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography…”

Paul on Instagram: “A pair of green moray eels, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Green moray eel, Roatan, Honduras. #scubadiving #scuba #diving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #wideangle…”

Paul on Instagram: “Green moray eel, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #scubadiving #diving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #sealife…”

Paul on Instagram: “Green moray eel, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #sealife…”

Paul on Instagram: “Green moray eel, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #sealife…”

Paul on Instagram: “Spotted moray eel on the DC-3 airplane wreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Goldentail moray eel, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #sealife…”

Paul on Instagram: “Goldentail moray eel, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #sealife…”

The only other larger animals that I repeatedly encountered were turtles. It appeared that a pair or group of larger turtles (e.g. the size of a petite female diver) with remoras on their shells had taken up residence on the shallower portions of the Prince Albert at night. I never saw any turtles during the day anywhere in or near the wreck or the house walls/reef: only in those parts of the wreck and only at night, and I saw at least one of them on every one of my four night dives. At first we thought that there was only one of them, but on the last night it became clear that there must have been at least two or three different individuals. We also saw two smaller turtles on boat dives at other sites.

Paul on Instagram: “Sea turtle with remoras, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Sea turtle with remoras, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Sea turtle, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #wideangle…”

(to be continued...)

The population of “garden variety” or generic reef fish was of a good size but not abundant. The reefs did nonetheless host some more noteworthy fish species, including trumpetfish, filefish, lizardfish, spotted drums, and scorpionfish. Of greatest interest were the three seahorses that our guide found. I had done over 100 dives elsewhere in the Caribbean without seeing a single seahorse and had to go to the Philippines to see them, but I saw the first of these three seahoreses on my first full day in Roatan. One of them had a great background for this prized macro photography opportunity.

Paul on Instagram: “Lizardfish, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #macro…”

Paul on Instagram: “Scorpionfish, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #sealife…”

Paul on Instagram: “Spotted drum, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #sealife…”

Paul on Instagram: “Trumpetfish, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #wideangle…”

Paul on Instagram: “Seahorse, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #macro…”

Crustaceans of all shapes and sizes were very common here. On the larger side, lobsters were more common than anywhere else I have been in the Caribbean. One guest from Boston joked that the widespread lobsters reminded him of his home waters. Crabs of all shapes and sizes were ubiquitous both underwater and even on land. Most omnipresent of all were the arrow crabs, particularly on the Prince Albert. The guide explained that arrow crabs had once been rare but had been growing more and more common in the past year. I saw at least two pairs of them mating on the Prince Albert. I also encountered two unfamiliar crab species in the DC-3 wreck(age) that I have not been able to identify. Pederson cleaner shrimp were quite common, and there were also quite a few banded coral shrimp.

Paul on Instagram: “Lobster, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #sealife #marinelife…”

Paul on Instagram: “Lobster, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #sealife #marinelife…”

Paul on Instagram: “Crab, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #sealife #marinelife…”

Paul on Instagram: “A crab on the wreck of the DC-3 aircraft at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “A crab on the wreck of the DC-3 aircraft at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “A hermit crab on the house reef of @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scubadiving #scuba #diving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “An arrow crab on the Prince Albert shipwreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “An arrow crab inside a sponge, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography…”

Paul on Instagram: “A pair of arrow crabs on the Prince Albert shipwreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “A pair of arrow crabs mating on the Prince Albert shipwreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv…”

Paul on Instagram: “Pederson cleaner shrimp, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #macro…”

Paul on Instagram: “A pair of Pederson cleaner shrimp, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Banded coral shrimp inside a sponge, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography…”

As for cephalopods, I saw them out in front of the resort but not at any of the other dive sites. I saw one octopus at night near the safety stop buoy, another one at night on the Prince Albert, and another during the day on the Prince Albert. I also saw so many broken crab and lobster shells near the DC-3 wreck(age) that an octopus must be active there as well. We also encountered a pair of squid in the sea grass bed at night. As for other mollusks, flamingo tongue cowries are fairly common.

Paul on Instagram: “An octopus hiding during the day in the Prince Albert shipwreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scubadiving #scuba #diving…”

Paul on Instagram: “An octopus at night on the Prince Albert shipwreck at @cocoviewresort, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography…”

Paul on Instagram: “Flamingo tongue cowrie, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #macro…”

Paul on Instagram: “Flamingo tongue cowrie, Roatan, Honduras. #scuba #diving #scubadiving #paditv #photography #underwaterphotography #uwphotography #macro…”

For photographers, many destinations are better primarily for either macro or wide-angle. Roatan has great opportunities for both, although it was the macro that had originally fueled my interest. I used my macro lens for the first half of the week and switched to wide-angle once I recognized the wide-angle opportunities that I was missing. Of course, the wide-angle lens caused me to miss macro opportunities. In retrospect, I would take this approach: use the wide-angle lens for a majority of boat dives, unless the guide knows the location of a seahorse there or indicates in the briefing that the site has a reputation for good macro. Use a wide-angle lens at Mary's Place at all costs. For the house walls/wreck/reef, use a macro lens, except to shoot the Prince Albert, the resident turtles at night, or the tops of the two walls. CCV's house photographer was helpful and assisted me with a camera problem. He evidently has a preference for the Olympus TG series of compacts and has many of them available to rent.

Surge and Sand

On some days, diving conditions may have been sub-par by local standards for that time of year, but I got the sense from guides and regulars that some of these conditions may be more common there than elsewhere in the Caribbean. Winds often created big waves and surge that I could occasionally feel as deep as 40ish feet. One guide implied that significant surge at depth was common here. I could find the right depth to avoid the surge by looking for sea fans that were not “flapping in the wind” as much.

The wind and surge, combined with rain at the beginning and end of the week, produced what repeat guests described as below-average visibility by local standards. I had nonetheless gotten the sense from my pre-trip research that Roatan's visibility was typically or often on the lower end by Caribbean standards. During my visit, visibility was, on average, lower than any other major Caribbean destination that I have visited, except some parts of Belize's Turneffe Atoll. Visibility was lower than anywhere else that we dove in the sandy area containing the Prince Albert and the DC-3 wreck(age). The lower visibility nonetheless did not become a significant impediment to my enjoyment of the trip, except for the canceled night dive and the amount of backscatter in some of my photos. Much of the marine life there was on the smaller side, so one would have to be close to it to see it anyway. The shallow depths of many dives also provided enough ambient light to offset the reduced visibility.

Water temperatures were quite warm, in the low-to-mid 80s. More than a few divers, including guides, dove without wetsuits. I wore a full 3mm and never felt cold, except during one surface interval when it was quite rainy and windy at the surface; I actually felt warmer once I re-entered the water.

(to be continued...)

For Further Discussion

This trip fueled my interest in future visits to CCV, other parts of Roatan, and Utila. I thus have a few questions for “CoCo Nuts” and other repeat visitors to the Bay Islands, the answers to which may be of interest to other users as well.
  • If you have been to both Roatan and Utila, which one did you prefer, and for what reasons?

• What (if any) resort or operator on Utila would come closest to the “terrestrial liveaboard” or “dive camp” experience of CCV? Or, if you are a “CoCo Nut” that has also been to Utila, what resort or operator did you choose, and would you recommend it?

• If you are a “CoCo Nut,” at what other Roatan resorts would you stay, or what other stand-alone dive shops would you use, in the interest of variety and a different underwater environment?

• If you are a “CoCo Nut,” how do you add variety to the shore and drop-off dives?

• How bad is the rainy season on Roatan? I went at this time of year because I hoped that the weather would be most favorable; it was not, but I still had a great experience.

• Would you say that Roatan has, on average, stronger and deeper surge and lower visibility than other major Caribbean destinations, or were the conditions that week a random fluctuation?

• Have you to flown to Roatan on Avianca, and if so, how was it? A connection on Avianca via San Pedro Sula appears to be my most viable alternative to the three major U.S. airlines.

• Can you suggest anywhere else in the Caribbean that has higher proportions of soft coral?

That was a brilliantly written trip report showing great insight into the totality of the experience. I've been there (guessing) 39 times, maybe 75 weeks, I dunno, 2000+ dives? We dive a lot, lots of places, but we come "home" to CCV two weeks a year.

• What (if any) resort or operator on Utila would come closest to the “terrestrial liveaboard” or “dive camp” experience of CCV?
  • Nothing really close in any respect. With a worldwide perspective, the only thing I've found would be the Atlantis Hotel sabang Beach, Philippines. (Often misnomered as Puerto Galera)

• [*]If you are a “CoCo Nut,” at what other Roatan resorts would you stay, or what other stand-alone dive shops would you use, in the interest of variety and a different underwater environment?
AKR offers a similar AI value for serious hard core divers, probably a bit cheaper, but their claimed shore dive is really a non-starter, a bit of a stretch. You will get to the deeper steeper darker North side. Other resorts offer "some diving". If you give CCV a 10, I'd put AKR at about 8.5, the rest are waaaay down the scale. Again, as far as a real deal dive resort access to diving. That is what this message board is about, right?

What makes Roatan unique in the Mar Caribe?

You were dead smack in the middle of that very small zone. About 5 miles on either side of CCV you find straight vertical walks that start in 5' and drop straight down. They are exposed to Sunlight all day long, they are the Southern wall, for millennia protected from storms. You were in the magic spot. The rest of Roatan is similar to what you might anywhere else into the Caribbean. The South side, right where you were, is the reason to come dive Roatan.

Shallow, protected, Sunlit. No more or less to it.
  • If you are a “CoCo Nut,” how do you add variety to the shore and drop-off dives?
    [*]

Different depths, not hurrying. These drop off dives, essentially dive #2 and #4... You get those 2 per day times 4.5 days, so 9 in total...you get "the same dive" only four times in total.
If the weather is dead flat calm, return atop the CCV wall. Not at 25', nope....I mean in 5 feet. I have not found a better and more intact Caribbean Coral example. It is startling.

• You can ask for "ENDURO", which is simply a longer version, or you can do what I do...pure 100% repetition, "drop me on the Wreck". I did this maybe 100x and learned every inch of the "Front Yard".

• At the depth of that intact wreck, the Prince Albert, sitting in 65-35fsw, I can get 1:45 BT on an alu 80, not moving much, just staring at what will happen next. My dive buddy swam with and photographed a 12' Hammerhead right there in 22' depth in June. See pix on this forum in a so-named thread.

How boring is that?

You can ask for a second moored boat dive if your fellow divers agree. Otherwise this standard unguided drop-off dive is something you might not expect...it protects the eardrums of the very long-term Dive Masters. Other DMs at other resorts tend to come and go early on due to sinus burn out. DMs at CCV work for years, it is the job to have.
    [*]How bad is the rainy season on Roatan? I went at this time of year because I hoped that the weather would be most favorable; it was not, but I still had a great experience.

It's awful. But we're talking about the Caribbean Storm/Hurricane season. Roatan lies South of the normal Hurricane Track, but it's still going to get rain. Simple geography. In terms of Roatan, anybody that truly understands weather patterns...you want to be on the South side. It is protected from storms. We dive the South side every day pretty much...like you noted. North and West? Not so much.

If you have to do your dive travel Aug thru Feb, in the Caribbean? Roatan (ABCs & Tobago) are your best shot. You were there in July, I would take those odds.
    [*]Would you say that Roatan has, on average, stronger and deeper surge and lower visibility than other major Caribbean destinations, or were the conditions that week a random fluctuation?
Hydraulics, which us what you're talking about, are a mathematical fact. I've really studied that Front Yard very hard, I'm the guy who painted that map on the big round table on the bar porch. Look at the geography. When the wind picks up, that basin overflows with surge. If the DM says no, you should agree. Suffice to say, if it's 6' plus out of the SE, you're going to be better off in the bar. It would be akin to landing a J3 in a 15mph sidewind. Doable but why bother?

Surge, per se, is a shallow water phenomenon. Current? Roatan has very little current at the commonly dived sites, the leading exception is Cara a Cara, the Shark Dive, but they rig the boats with proper lines, easy breezy.

Visibility is simply not what the Bay islands is known for. You figured out that macro is the name if the game. How much viz did you need exactly to see something the size of a Seahorse... Or smaller?

I'm thinking that you're way past most divers in learned perceptual abilities. The majority of divers are still gawking at and seeking "larger fish". Along their quest, they like to see wrecks (not understanding that wrecks are more than romantic rusty iron), pretty corals, and are subliminally attracted to variations in geographical reef architecture. I believe that viz (aka crystal clear gin visibility) is in that category. It is highly overrated. Want viz in the Caribbean? As far as accessible for easy travel, that would be Cayman, but we all know that.
  • [*]Can you suggest anywhere else in the Caribbean that has higher proportions of soft coral?

In my experience and as stated in "the standard bible" by Paul Humaan of Caribbean Reef Coral ID, Roatan and the Bay Islands have to widest array and most plentiful concentration of Soft Corals. Paul was specifically referencing the protected South shallows you visited.

Again, your post was brilliant.

Last edited:
Excellent, practical report! Enjoyed it, and it has info. I'd be looking for to plan a trip there (which I hope to someday do). Doc's follow-up info. brought it even farther; why Roatan, and why CocoView Resort.

At least, for a diver. Traveling solo for a dive trip, it's what I'd pick. They don't take guests under 10-years old, and my wife & I have a 5-year old. From their FAQ:

"Are Children Allowed At The Resort?
Children 10 and older are welcome at CoCo View Resort, but must be under parental supervision at all times. Children are not permitted at the bar, but are welcome in outdoor bar seating areas."

Did you make it off to see any other part of the island? IIRC, I think it was one of Doc's posts several years ago, it was pointed out many Roatan dive tourists 'stay on the reservation' at their resort, maybe visit the main town, but don't wander all over the place like they do on Bonaire.

Richard.

...Did you make it off to see any other part of the island? IIRC, I think it was one of Doc's posts several years ago, it was pointed out many Roatan dive tourists 'stay on the reservation' at their resort, maybe visit the main town, but don't wander all over the place like they do on Bonaire. Richard.

I don't know if it has changed, but my memory of Roatan was that the roads weren't great and there some poor communities away from the resorts. We didn't rent cars during our trips there, we mostly stayed at the resorts but we did take some excursions.

Last edited:
That was a brilliantly written trip report showing great insight into the totality of the experience. I've been there (guessing) 39 times, maybe 75 weeks, I dunno, 2000+ dives? We dive a lot, lots of places, but we come "home" to CCV two weeks a year.

• Nothing really close in any respect. With a worldwide perspective, the only thing I've found would be the Atlantis Hotel sabang Beach, Philippines. (Often misnomered as Puerto Galera)
AKR offers a similar AI value for serious hard core divers, probably a bit cheaper, but their claimed shore dive is really a non-starter, a bit of a stretch. You will get to the deeper steeper darker North side. Other resorts offer "some diving". If you give CCV a 10, I'd put AKR at about 8.5, the rest are waaaay down the scale. Again, as far as a real deal dive resort access to diving. That is what this message board is about, right?

Thank you for the positive feedback.

I have actually been to Atlantis Puerto Galera (here is my trip report on it and also on another resort in Anilao across the channel). That experience fueled my interest in dive resorts, rather than liveaboards or stand-alone dive shops, and this visit to CCV has persuaded me to try more dive resorts in the future. Atlantis is also a "terrestrial liveaboard," offering five dives a day, but all are boat dives to different sites. The quality of the dive operations and other facilities were roughly in the same league, IMO, except Atlantis had better food with table service. Indo-Pacific/Southeast Asian diving is of course in a different league from anything in the Caribbean, but there were some parallels in that both are good for macro (but the Philippines is in a whole other league in that regard and Roatan had more wide-angle) and both have a preponderance of soft coral and often non-optimal diving conditions (rough waters and low visibility).

Have you been to Utila? If there is nothing even close to CCV on Utila, is there any resort or operator there that you would recommend?

I did get the sense that AKR was the next most popular or well-regarded dive resort on Roatan after CCV; it seemed to win "the silver medal," so to speak. It seemed like the only other true "dive resort," whereas other places were "resorts with diving."

I got the sense that the north side was better for larger animals, in contrast to the preponderance of macro on the south side. Would you agree?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom