Trip Report Roatan, Turquoise Bay Resort, Subway Review- Long, but complete

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just got back from a fantastic vacation and am looking forward to returning.

We flew direct into Roatan, connecting through Houston from OKC. United did their part and got us there with no issues. I had read some less than positive reviews of the Roatan airport and am happy to say we did not have any of the issues. Yes, it took us about an hour or so to clear immigration/Customs but it was air conditioned, bathrooms were available, and really the only difference was that you have to clear individually instead of as a family. After the line, they scan your finger prints, ask you a few questions about your immigration form and off you go to claim your luggage.

We were traveling with a group of 16 so TBR had a representative waiting for us. While we were in the immigration line, a TBR employee located our bags and had them waiting for us at the vans. It was about 15 minutes to the resort and the drive was beautiful. Once we got to the resort there was a situation with our ocean view rooms. They could not accommodate us in the booked ocean view rooms, so instead they gave some of us rooms at the top of the resort, with as good of a view if not better because of the elevation. We did have a double instead of a king (not a problem for me...my wife...not so much) and they threw in unlimited drinks ($119 each), a 20 minute massage each, and a $50 credit towards nitrox, tours, or the gift shop. Rooms were well air conditioned with thermostats (mini-splits), no bath tub but we never ran out of hot water in the shower, and the only complaints I can think of was having to climbing 48 steps to get to our rooms and our beds were hard...really hard. I asked for a mattress topper and they replaced our mattresses with something slightly softer...but still hard. Most resorts we have stayed at in Central America have had the same type of mattresses so that's really not TBR specific.. With the number of Pina Colada's I drank, that was probably a good thing. The drinks were great. I also recommend a Monkey LaLa, Monkey Tail, Miami Vice, and the Mojitos were good when they had mint. Bar tenders were talented. Rocque kept me happy!! Salvavida, the national beer of Honduras, is pretty tasty for a light beer.

The grounds are beautiful and the staff treated us like royalty. There is a Donkey and several small horses that graze around, a cat that is friendly for the most part, and a boxer dog that makes the place feel like home. Geckos, Big lizards (sorry-don't know what they were...but we named one Zac because he looked and ran like our son)) are everywhere but not in the rooms. Insect wise, some of our group had several no-see-um bites but I used 98% Deet and had no problems, even at the evening beach barbeque. I had no mosquito bites at all. Food was good and plentiful, served buffet style and a snack at 5:00.

The flat top grilled fish at lunch may have been the best I have ever had. Surprisingly though there was not a fish/seafood dish at every meal. All the food was good and you will probably recognize most of it. Some version of plantain was served with most meals. Mashed Plantains are wonderful...even though they were green.

DIVING- Subway Watersports is a top tier dive operation. There were 2 divemasters in the water on every dive, even when we only had 3 divers on the boat. Enoch and Minor were attentive towards those that needed it and let you do your own thing once they knew your skill level was adequate. Rock Star was a great dive with literally something for everyone. The wreck dive was great, although limited due to air usage of some newer divers in our group. The standard dive would usually go deeper to 70-80 feet then finish at a shallow part of the reef where basically everything was a safety stop. I have found a new luxury item when diving because they take off your fins for you. Swim up to the ladder, and a DM stays down and removed your fins and hands them up to the boat. Small gesture...but nice never the less. Nitrox tanks were always within 1% and most of my tanks were 3000 psi fills. I did have one 2700 but that was on a short dive and I was diving 100cf tanks so no big deal. On the 4th day out of 5, they let us shoot lionfish!!! A new but addictive experience for me. We went to a small island on the far East end and had a cook out where they grilled the lionfish we had just taken. It was a really good time and was included in our package.

The only negative issues I can find about diving was they need to replace their orings regularly. Most of us experienced a leaking o-ring at least a couple of times during the dives. We didn't lose much air, but the constant bubbling in my ear bugged me (twice out of 13 dives). I had one leak that I pulled a o-ring out of my save a dive kit and replaced my own. On the long dives, (wreck and island trip) there were only 2 dives a day. Facilities and boats are very nice. Giant stride entry with 2 big ladders for exit. they take care of your BCD 's, you are responsible for fins, mask, and wetsuits. Rinse tanks are fresh and the nicest I have seen. There are separate camera and mask rinse tanks on the boat. They put some type of detergent in the wetsuit tank. You are given a locker to hang yours stuff at the diveshop as well. Diveshop wise, it is a well run, quality operation. Boats are slow, but they are wide with a head if necessary.

Visibility is not what Cozumel is, nor was the amount of aquatic life. I would say the reef is healthier with lots of different coral types. Maybe over fished, maybe lionfish invasion, don't know. We just never got into the huge schools of tropical fish like you see in Cozumel. We saw lots of green, friendly Morray ells and several smaller turtles (2 feet-ish) 1 barracuda, and a shark in the distance on our last dive. We have dove most of the dive sites in Cozumel over the last 3 years and this was our first dive trip elsewhere, so my reference point is extremely limited. Also, we only hit 12 dive sites so maybe we were just in the wrong places.

The only issue with the trip is that a cab to town for shopping was $15 to $20 per person. You are several miles from any type of shopping, but you really don't need anything unless you didn't bring sunscreen, or in our case, sunburn lotion. The sun will cook you quicker down there. My wife does not usually burn anywhere...she burnt here and I just kept my diveskin on.

Our divemasters invited us to go to lunch at out Captain's sister's restaurant in Punta Gorda. It sounded fun so 5 us went. I grew up spending my weekends in small Mexican border towns so that is what it reminded me of. Dirt streets, concrete buildings, etc. There were no prices on the menus, and in their defense, we did not ask. We ate across the street on a covered dock at the end of a longer pier. Absolutely wonderful setting. When we went to pay, we were shocked at the $180 tab. The food was good, authentic, and plentiful, but expensive for what it was. We smiled, paid, and the lesson was ask when no prices are listed.

Another part of our group asked about deep sea fishing. They were told $400 for half a day, $800 for all day. At Subway there is a large, modern, fishing boat with a cabin, outriggers, and everything your would expect for a modern fishing charter boat. That is what they expected. Instead, they put 5 of them in a Nissan Murrano type car and took them to the other side of the island where they got into a panga type boat, (I believe it was uncovered) and took off into rough seas. They were basically beat to hell from the rough ride both ways when they returned...but they did catch one small barracuda.

Neither of these trips were booked through the resort or Subway. I think I see a pattern.....

The trip back was uneventful. Clearing security was not a problem. Dive computers and wife's make up passed with no issues. The waiting area was large enough to accommodate at least 2 planes worth of travelers, bathrooms were clean, air conditioners on, seats were more comfortable that many American airports. Drinks were available and several travelers were eating sandwiches that looked great, but I don't know where they got them from. We were told plan on at least an hour and a half to clear, but I'm sure that we were through in 45 minutes or so.

All in all, the resort was great. Our trip was $3,000 for two including air and diving. Nitrox was $136 for the week each if paid in advance. If you are thinking about going, remember sunscreen, 98% deet bug spray, Sunburn stuff, Dog Treats (skinny dogs everywhere in town and at the airport) and maybe a few O-rings. Our travel guy is working on a trip back in July and if the finances will swing it...we will go back. Pet the cat for me...she likes beef off of the buffet!! Don't panic when she grabs you, she just wants to play!

All in all, a great trip!!

Jay

Nice report; appreciate the heads up on some of the side excursion experiences. I've never been to Roatan; in my area I notice at least 3 different dive travel group arrangers use Turquoise Bay Resort as their Roatan dive resort, and Undercurrent recently posted a favorable review of it.

Richard.

Nice report.

It is unfortunate that the captain has decided to rip off the guests at his sisters restaurant, unless you drank like fish a meal for 5 in Punta Gorda should have been half what you paid at most. The deep sea fishing was another rip off. You may want to consider sharring those 2 experiences with the resort manager as I am positive that the resort does not condone that BS as it reflects on the resort and dive op.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great trip report. I have only driven past TBR but I have heard that they and Subway have a great reputation. Subway's DMT hostel is just up the road from our condo and the kids often visit our restaurant for dinner and drinks. Some fellas at our local dive shop also used to work for Subway and have nothing but good things to say about them.

I agree with the assessment that the restaurant and fishing referrals were a bit crooked. It's good that you reported them here and maintained a sporting attitude about it. No point in ruining a great trip over a relatively minor issue!

ScubaBoard.... So.... Tell us about the "dive day".

When does it start, how many dives, back and forth? When are boat departures?

How's it work?

I just returned from a week here in early February. It is a great resort and dive op! The typical dive day is like many at dive resorts. Boats leave at 0830 for a two tank trip and you're back to the dock by about noon. Grab lunch, chill at the pool for a while and head back out for an afternoon dive at 1:30pm to return to the dock by about 3:30. Leaves plenty of time to relax at the pool, beach or bar. The only deviation from this schedule may be 15 minutes either way, but this will be communicated well by your DM. If your group does a night dive, we went to the west end for a wreck dive and wall dive for the morning dives. You don't get back to the resort until about 2:00pm from these because of the long boat ride. No worries, the staff will have you lunch waiting. You then meet at the dock around 5:30 to head out for your night dive where we splashed shortly after 6:00pm. This was my first time diving the north and east side of the island. It was awesome! My favorite dives were the El Aguila shipwreck (110'), Rockstar, grouper alley, underground and Dolphin's Den (DM's call these last three "the swimming troos). Incredible cavern systems.

I can't wait to return to this resort! For a smaller resort, they go out of their way to make sure you are well taken care of for your entire stay. Darren, the dive shop manager, runs a very professional operation and he and his staff work very hard to ensure you have a great trip. We've already planned our return for February, 2018!

Nice report Jay. It's nice to see a report on one of the resorts and dive shops that we don't see on here frequently.

Boats leave at 0830 for a two tank trip and you're back to the dock by about noon. .... and head back out for an afternoon dive at 1:30pm to return to the dock by about 3:30.... If your group does a night dive, we went to the west end for a wreck dive and wall dive for the morning dives... back to the resort until about 2:00pm....then meet at the dock around 5:30 to head out for your night dive

So, a two tank morning dive and then a one tank afternoon dive?

If you are wanting a night dive, you skip the afternoon dive and make it the evening instead?

There's one night dive "included"....Is the night dive available every night or how much charge for more?

Dive Packages | Turquoise Bay Resort has some answers, but not complete.

This is handy: http://www.turquoisebayresort.com/diving/dive-rates/

This is from the TBR/Subway website:

Our dive and snorkel boats leave daily at 8:45 am, 10:45 am and 2 pm. We offer one night boat dive per week (more on request). We scuba dive and snorkel mainly on the north shore of Roatan in the area between Sandy Bay and Punta Gorda. ... we come back to the dive shop for our surface intervals. When we go to some of the further dive sites we do a two tank dive in the morning and one tank in the afternoon.

All-Inclusive dive packages include three boat dives per day. Should the sea conditions not allow us to dive on the Roatan North shore we will take our guests by bus to an alternate location on the South side of Roatan. When diving on the South side we are able to do two boat dives per day instead of three. This scenario may happen between December and March because of strong Northerly wind

Any more details you can supply on this property would be appreciated as many posters come here to inquire. One of the other major questions that I see frequently regard the availability of shore access. My experience locally was pre-resort time period, I don't recall any access, but people do have varying views and ongoing questions. Any comments there?

Back
Top Bottom