Rob Stewart and Third Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just watched the documentary. I'd be interested to know what the GF they were running that day. I know certain instructors advocate running a 90/90 GF. If that was the case here, that would make me lean more towards DCS as the likely cause.
They were according to the exhibits posted by @Wookie in the original thread. And if you factor in the fact that they came back up faster than they went down... that is pretty much the only possibility that remains after hypoxia has been ruled out.

What evidence is there that 3 dives a day is dangerous?

In this case? One diver being dragged on the boat unresponsive and the other dying.

But I see your point, 3 dives are not "dangerous" per se. But you must take into consideration topside support, equipment, dive team and exposure. The real question is, are you and your team fully prepared to do 3 technical dives in a day?

In this case, obvious answer was "no".

In this case? One diver being dragged on the boat unresponsive and the other dying.

But I see your point, 3 dives are not "dangerous" per se. But you must take into consideration topside support, equipment, dive team and exposure. The real question is, are you and your team fully prepared to do 3 technical dives in a day?

In this case, obvious answer was "no".
assuming you believe 3 dives was the cause of the accident, which is what the author of the documentary contends and I am unconvinced.

To speak specifically about Rob and Sotis, they had over 2 hours of omitted decompression based on the the algorithm and gas they were diving. Hypoxia wasn’t a problem for them.

I find that reassuring.

I had previously thought that there wasn't a clear explanation for the accident.

There are obviously more dimensions to what happened than just a sequence of dives. Back in the day when Fabio Amaral run the diving on Bikini Atoll, we did two dives to that depth every day over the course of a week's diving, and we dived on air. There are other aspects which were accumulative. It was all recorded on video, evidently, so the truth will come out when it gets to trial.

I find that reassuring.

I had previously thought that there wasn't a clear explanation for the accident.
I don't know and didn't say there was a clear explanation. I said they had 2 hours of omitted decompression by any logical dive planning.

To be very clear. They weren't hypoxic, and they had omitted deco by any reasonable dive planning software or tables. I couldn't even begin to guess what caused their distress.

But I am completely convinced why Stewart died, and Stewart knew it as well.

Wow, just watched the movie. Technically well done in terms of editing and cinematography. Completely worthless in terms of the overall message.

I really couldn't figure out what the filmmaker was trying to conclude. I guess that Beaver and Sotis were willing to talk on camera, so there is a lot of that. But as far as the main point - the cause of Stewart's death - Osborne just sort of punted. The only real "conclusion" was Beaver suggesting near the end that it was hypoxia, which was apparently ruled out by the log files. Did he need to rush this for distribution before that was established by NEDU? Really didn't discuss decompression stress much at all. I was hoping for at least some sort of closure, but the film just sort of ends ....

Oh, well.. at least I got my VPN working!

Did you really expect a paragon of honesty and integrity and responsible journalism out of something Osborne put out there?

I wouldn’t even call him a journalist, let alone qualified to comment on anything that happened that day in Florida.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom