Rob Stewart Investigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because of the need to add O2 during an ascent (through decreasing PO2), a lot of CCR divers end up at the surface with a very full counter-lung (instead of keeping it at minimum volume) and instead of inflating their wing for surface buoyancy, they use the buoyancy of the counter-lung. Alas, if Stewart had passed out he would have dropped the mouthpiece allowing the unit to flood and losing that buoyancy. I implore all CCR divers to use their wing when at the surface. If Stewart had, he would still be at the surface instead of dropping and drowning.

I'm not sure the issue with his propensity to pass out relates to why he went under.
Really? It's pretty obvious to me. If he passed out due to a medical condition, then no one is to blame. If he passed out due to hypoxia, then he made a noob mistake probably caused by lack of experience. If he passed out due to hypercapnia, due to the scrubber being exhausted then his mentor has some culpabiity. OR, he could have not passed out at all.

What do those double posting (twice) mean, @The Chairman ?
You should have your vision checked??? :D

I live at the end of the digital dirt road. Sometimes, my post resends itself.

You should have your vision checked??? :D

I live at the end of the digital dirt road. Sometimes, my post resends itself.

I did get a new glasses a couple days ago. :D

You need to check your post #139 & 140 in the previous page too. :)

I did get a new glasses a couple days ago. :D

You need to check your post #139 & 140 in the previous page too. :)
You'll find the evidence has mysteriously disappeared....

Reactions: Dan
Really? It's pretty obvious to me. If he passed out due to a medical condition, then no one is to blame. If he passed out due to hypoxia, then he made a noob mistake probably caused by lack of experience. If he passed out due to hypercapnia, due to the scrubber being exhausted then his mentor has some culpabiity. OR, he could have not passed out at all.

Hypercapnia was virtually eliminated by the NEDU report. They tested his gear and scrubbing agent. They found that there was large margin of time left in which his rebreather would have been functioning properly when compared to his bottom time. Hypoxia was pretty much eliminated as well--the Shearwater computer logs O2 levels constantly. His never went into the hypoxic zone.

Because of the need to add O2 during an ascent (through decreasing PO2), a lot of CCR divers end up at the surface with a very full counter-lung (instead of keeping it at minimum volume) and instead of inflating their wing for surface buoyancy, they use the buoyancy of the counter-lung. Alas, if Stewart had passed out he would have dropped the mouthpiece allowing the unit to flood and losing that buoyancy. I implore all CCR divers to use their wing when at the surface. If Stewart had, he would still be at the surface instead of dropping and drowning.

That is a theory that has a lot of support. It's a basis for the latest defence that Peter Sotis filed. I looked at the video Stewart's camera person shot the day before the accident. There's no indication that his wing is inflated when he climbs on board the boat after either of the first two dives. No conclusive but interesting none the less.

That is a theory that has a lot of support. It's a basis for the latest defence that Peter Sotis filed. I looked at the video Stewart's camera person shot the day before the accident. There's no indication that his wing is inflated when he climbs on board the boat after either of the first two dives. No conclusive but interesting none the less.
so Sotis's defence is that Rob wasn't doing something he should have been taught on his course? Interesting.

Teaching CCR divers to establish positive buoyancy with wing/bcd on surface is pretty standard.

so Sotis's defence is that Rob wasn't doing something he should have been taught on his course? Interesting.

Teaching CCR divers to establish positive buoyancy with wing/bcd on surface is pretty standard.

It is pretty standard and certainly when I took the course from Robert Johnson at Add Helium I was told to use my wing and not just rely on my counter lung. Beyond that, I can't say. What I can say is that you can't force people to do things they refuse to do, right? I've dived with lots of people who say they don't use their wing because they have a dry suit on. I still use my wing, but some choose not to.

Back
Top Bottom