Rob Stewart Investigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggressive divers like 90/90

Aggressive divers like 90/90
Those that are still alive to vote, maybe.

Those that are still alive to vote, maybe.
I actually know quite a few, names you know. Some physiologies can handle N2 better than others.

It’s not for me. I bend easy.

And it looks like the He content of dil used was understated according to the profiles where 10/20 is listed as dil, an inappropriate gas for those depths, and will impact the amount of deco if He content of the dil was more like 60%, something more typical for that depth.

Dear Sir,

From these three charts, what do you surmise, diver error/computer error/both/neither/rebreather fault/mix problem, I'm sure this list could be considerably longer and beyond my talent to grasp.

Whatever happened, affected them both in a similar fashion, Mr. Sotis just happened to be lucky, when he blacked out as he was on the boat and was attended to, Mr. Stewart was not so fortunate.

I do remember, during the film, Mr. Stewart commented on diving with the ''best rebreather''. further, in one of the films, Mr. Stewart was seen diving with a different rebreather. I don't know what it was, perhaps another member can shed some light on what it was, and how it factored in, if in fact it did.

I want to understand, and any accurate knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Rose.

I appreciate your interest. I don't have the level of expertise to make a determination about what happened. But I did speak with several scientists who work in this area and get their opinions.

The problem is that the conditions surrounding the incident don't match any one cause perfectly. Their gas was not hypoxic. Their scrubbers were functioning properly. They were already at the surface, so some diving threats would no longer apply.

The best estimation that I heard of what happened was that they were affected by some kind of DCS hit--probably a neurological DCS hit. Their extremely rapid ascent on the final dive (75 fsw/min) might have caused the problem.

I asked the experts why Sotis didn't require time in a chamber if it was a DCS hit. The response--the brain is a blood rich environment and along with the use of oxygen, the small bubbles might have dispersed without a chamber visit.

And before all the arm chair experts out there jump on this allow me to remind you this is not my assumption, its what I gleaned from my conversation with experts.

And it looks like the He content of dil used was understated according to the profiles where 10/20 is listed as dil, an inappropriate gas for those depths, and will impact the amount of deco if He content of the dil was more like 60%, something more typical for that depth.

The actual He content was 50% if I'm not mistaken,

If I dove 90/90 I’d have my own thread in the “Passings” area.

Wow! Why was 10/20 programmed in if it wasn't used?
CNS 02 of 78-86%? 25 minute surface interval between the second and third dive to 220 fsw? Running that 90/90 GF on the last stop he had 1 stop calculated at 10 ft with an assent rate of roughly 60 ft/min (180ft/3min). Approximately 6 minutes of deco at 10 ft. I know where I'm placing my money. Type 2 DCS. His fast tissues never had a chance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom