Roberta's Dive Shack Opinions and Dive Site Recommendation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The place I was thinking of is Paprika. I don't want to insult anyone, but I thought it was horrible. I'm used to good quality Mexican food at reasonable prices, having lived in San Antonio for many years and traveled all over Mexico. Maybe that place is better now, the last time I was in Coz was about 2 years ago. I would have gone in September but I didn't want to get on the ferry. I spent the whole trip cave diving with one other person to limit my covid exposure.

As far as the food situation at Roberta's goes, I'm happy walking into town. There are so many fun restaurants, and I like the exercise. I'll usually make a trip to the grocery store and stock up on lunch/snack food for the week. There used to be a great bike rental shop called Isla bicicletta (or something like that) and then I just biked into town all the time. That place closed after Irma, unfortunately. There are still plenty of general rental places, but that place had good quality road bikes that made it easy to get around.

The place I was thinking of is Paprika. I don't want to insult anyone, but I thought it was horrible. I'm used to good quality Mexican food at reasonable prices, having lived in San Antonio for many years and traveled all over Mexico. Maybe that place is better now, the last time I was in Coz was about 2 years ago. I

Paprika gets at best mixed reviews everywhere I have looked.

Years ago Paprika and Ernesto had decent food and was inexpensive, times have changed. Paprika hasn't been open the last couple trips we were in Coz (March 2020 & Oct 2020). Ernesto has gotten expensive for so-so food. There really isn't much around Roberta's. The Pub (now called Sharky's Pub) moved into the Villa Blanco which is close to Roberta's. In past years they had decent food (not especially cheap though) may be a good option but they were closed (temporary?) in Oct 2020 while we were there. Going to the restaurants in town is definitely worth the effort but the pandemic has affected many of those restaurants as well. In my opinion the quality of food isn't as good as pre-pandemic days but still very good food. I guess that can be expected when the customer base has dropped so dramatically, hard to get/keep fresh supplies when there just aren't many folks cycling through their business. Almost all the restaurants are open but some staple places like Kinta & Kondessa were closed. They have the same ownership so might be some other reason for their closure.

The Pub is closed! The owner is now partnered with the folks that run A&D Kitchen. The chef from The Pub is there as well. Kondessa is open now. We had a great dinner two weeks ago. The menu is a bit smaller but the food delicious. Our favorite is now Kooben Laab. It’s on 30 a bit south of Los Sera’s. They serve fresh pasta and have weekly specials.

Dang I liked the Pub. A&D2 has tasty food also. Thumbs up on Kooben Laab, if they only served cocktails! We’ve haven’t had breakfast there yet but heard it is fantastic, do you know what time they open? We’ll be there in March so glad that Kondessa (& Kinta?) is open. We alway have at least one meal there per trip.

Better be careful or this will turn into another food chat session. But that would sure beat all the Covid chatter, just way to many Covid ‘experts’ on this board.

Dang I liked the Pub. A&D2 has tasty food also. Thumbs up on Kooben Laab, if they only served cocktails! We’ve haven’t had breakfast there yet but heard it is fantastic, do you know what time they open? We’ll be there in March so glad that Kondessa (& Kinta?) is open. We alway have at least one meal there per trip.

Better be careful or this will turn into another food chat session. But that would sure beat all the Covid chatter, just way to many Covid ‘experts’ on this board.
I have only been to dinner at Kooban Laab. It does open at 7:30 according to Facebook! I always bring a “roadie” with vodka and soda then order wine with dinner. We have brought our own wine as well. They charge an uncorking fee that we thought was fair. Only Kondessa was open. I asked about Kinta, they told us “soon”. You might get lucky in March.

Eggs that came from Mexican chickens, of course!

Idk, just scrambled eggs with diced onions, green peppers, and jalapenos and stuff.
Mexican-Style Scrambled Eggs (Huevos a la Mexicana)

Many years ago I cooked at a breakfast restaurant. There were Mexicans working there, and they'd request what you've described above, but they called it Huevos Rancheros. Years later I finally got to Mexico. (Quintana Roo) Anywhere I've seen Huevos Rancheros on a menu, it's described as eggs with some kind of sauce on it and Huevos Mexicana is the scrambled egg dish. I've always wondered if it was a regional naming thing?

From an earlier post of yours, it sounds like Tikila is doing their own food now. Did you happen to see a menu? Is it a fullish menu?

From an earlier post of yours, it sounds like Tikila is doing their own food now. Did you happen to see a menu? Is it a fullish menu?

September seems so long ago and I'm not the type to take pics of menus but as I recall it was a laminated fullsize one page with at least half dozen entree choices of chicken/beef/fish burritos or tacos and a few queso or guac appies. Nothing distinctive. Nothing we had to ask what is this. Typical bar bites.

Back
Top Bottom