Role of Professional Divers in the Eastland Disaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KathyV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Over 100 years ago in 1915, more than 800 people died in the Chicago River as they were preparing to head out into Lake Michigan on their way to a company picnic. Whole families were killed and many more people died on the Eastland than died in the Chicago Fire.

Professional divers played a prominent role in rescue and recovery efforts on the Eastland, see the link and pictures below.

In the group picture below, the 3rd diver from the left is unidentified. If anyone knows who he is, please contact: Eastland Disaster Historical Society

Eastland Disaster - Organized Response - Professional Divers

eastlandprofessionaldivers.jpg

eastlandprofessionaldivers02.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics, Kathy! A lot of people locally don't even know the Great Lakes worst maritime disaster happened on our doorstep, with the now-former Oprah studios (Harpo Productions, in the old armory building) serving as the makeshift morgue.

There's a lot about the Great Lakes in Diving With & Without Armor by J. B. Green published in 1859. This is the cover of Lee Selisky's reprint.

full.jpg

It is a bit of a difficult read because of the language used in that era. It is similar to reading letters from the US Civil War, but in print rather than cursive. Mr. Green began diving in the great lakes with no equipment at all recovering lost items and progressed into salvage, all holding his breath. He later built his own deep sea rig, apparently with virtually no knowledge of Augustus Siebe's equipment. It reads like he heard vague descriptions of the Siebe gear and improvised from there... it's been several years since I read it so I could be a little off.

It is an amazing read and the poor guy ended up badly disabled by repeated DCS, which he knew nothing about. He wrote this book to make a living. Life was really tough back then. Well worth reading.

Sounds great. If someone is used to reading Dickens and Austen, then they'll have no issue with this book, I'd expect.

I never heard about this; thanks for posting it!

Thanks for the pics, Kathy! A lot of people locally don't even know the Great Lakes worst maritime disaster happened on our doorstep, with the now-former Oprah studios (Harpo Productions, in the old armory building) serving as the makeshift morgue.
Can you recommend any good books on this incident??

Can you recommend any good books on this incident??

If you search Amazon for "Eastland Disaster" it brings up several books on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom