Rolex Submariner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

personally i dive with a cheap watch......but if someone feels better about diving with a rolex than a seiko, who am i to tell them they cant?

I will give you a good reason not to: it's not a good idea to travel in airports or harbors with a rolex in the baggage, even worse to wear it on the body, especially in poor countries like Mexico or the Philippines but not only in them...
If the opener asked this question he must be rich, but it's not a good idea, also for safety reasons...

My friends that dive with theirs do it because it's the watch they wear every day, so it just goes on their dive with them. They have been diving for a very long time, so it may just be a left over from when it was an essential tool for diving and though they are modest, non-flashy types that have means, they just stick to the watch that basically started it all.
I should ask them if they do any annual checks to them, but from what I know about them, I would be surprised if they did.

if you use if for diving....its "dive equipment".

i dont know why people dive with Rolexs.....but they do, and thats their prerogative.

personally i dive with a cheap watch......but if someone feels better about diving with a rolex than a seiko, who am i to tell them they cant?

Yup. Just like a mink coat worn as dry suit underwear. It's dive equipment.

Why do we even have these discussions? The answer is always "dive and let dive, do what you want, it's a personal preference".

The OP asked if a Rolex was a status symbol or worth the money as a functional watch.

There are many reasons to own a Rolex (I have a submariner). But since the Rolex doesn't even perform it's primary function (accurate timekeeping) as well as a watch costing 99% less, I would say that it is definitely NOT worth the money if you are only considering function.

That's what- about 7 seconds per month! I've never heard of a mechanical watch that accurate but I'm sure you right and obviously a lot more into watches than I ever was, I just wanted a Rolex and expected to have zero issues or concerns.

A lot of mechanical watches can be very accurate and if you're into watches (people who buy mechanical watches usually are) you know what to do to get it to be. Some watches, even chronometer certified still either loose a little or gain a little while being worn, but you can regulate buy figuring out what position to leave it in when not being worn like over night. Depending on movement some position will result if a little speeding up or slowing down. A form of regulation.

Mechanical watches are fascinating engineering wonders that can be so complex it boggles the mind, especially those complex complications that were calculated and designed without the aid of computers. Love them and the history.
I have one quartz watch, but will never buy another. I plan on treating myself to a nice dive watch one day and it will be my little pal on dives with me.

Mechanical watches are fascinating engineering wonders that can be so complex it boggles the mind, especially those complex complications that were calculated and designed without the aid of computers. Love them and the history.

This is the best reason to have one of these watches... 100% agree!

Yup. Just like a mink coat worn as dry suit underwear. It's dive equipment.

Why do we even have these discussions? The answer is always "dive and let dive, do what you want, it's a personal preference".

The OP asked if a Rolex was a status symbol or worth the money as a functional watch.

There are many reasons to own a Rolex (I have a submariner). But since the Rolex doesn't even perform it's primary function (accurate timekeeping) as well as a watch costing 99% less, I would say that it is definitely NOT worth the money if you are only considering function.
Like it! I wonder if there's a market for Saville Row drysuits?

It's surprising to hear all the criticism of absolutely beautifully engineered and constructed machines like Rolex watches and of folks who choose to dive with them. I've got a couple including an explorer 2, which I wore to Mongolia this past summer, and a modern ceramic no date submariner. They are wonderful devices, comfortable to wear, rugged and beautiful. They both keep time to better than 1/2 second per day. I may take my sub on my next dive trip, I'll have to wait and see how I feel. Of course a rolex submariner is not an essential piece of dive equipment but I have no criticism of folks who choose to dive with them.

If you aren't into fine watches, that's ok. But, you shouldn't hate on those that are. A fine watch is a pleasure to wear and use, kind of like a really good audio system.

A fine watch is a pleasure to wear and use, kind of like a really good audio system.
For the last part of my career up until I retired, I wore two pieces of jewellery pretty much every day (both were "tags"): a Tag Heuer Formula 1 (in stainless steel) and a set of dog tags (also stainless steel). Granted, a Tag is not in the same league as a Rolex Submariner, but it was the best I could afford and for me, it was "a fine watch".

:popcorn:I'm sure 0.5 seconds/day accuracy is impressive... for a wedding ring or a steam engine or something.

Back
Top Bottom