Roll Control System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rrweather

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the "Roll Control System." I am looking to install some tank holders on my boat. The advantage to this system is any accessory can be installed in the track one the track itself is installed. This is important since my boat is also used for fishing and tubing. It is only 19 ft long so I don't have a lot of room for tank holders that are only used once in a while. At least this system would allow me to remove the tank holders when not in use. Just curious to know what anyone has experienced with the system. Thanks.

I forgot to mention...my boat is a synthetic material so the suction mount system will not "stick" to the side or my boat.

Last edited:
I have tried several tank holders and Roll Control is the best there is. They hold well are have never dropped a tank on me even in the roughest stuff where the prop gets air.

I have tried several tank holders and Roll Control is the best there is. They hold well are have never dropped a tank on me even in the roughest stuff where the prop gets air.

Ditto for me also.
N

Cool. Thanks for all the quick replies. I have one more question you guys may be able to help with. I know for the tracks, there is a small (12-in I think) PVC track, a 20-in PVC track, and the 48-in AL track. Which ones are you guys using? I still have to figure out where I am going to mount the tracks. If I mount them where I am thinking, I would want to use the PVC tracks. Since we use the boat for tubing and fishing, I really would prefer to not have AL tracks all over the boat where kids can run into them. My question deals with the adjustable tank holders fitting on the 20-in PVC track. I can't find anything on any of the sites that sell the tracks and holders that tells me how many of the adjustable tank holders fit in the 20in track. My LDS called Trident and the guy there said 4 adjustable tank holders fit on the 48in AL track with some slack. I am wondering if 2 adjustable tank holders would fit side-by side on a 20in track with 7.25 in tanks. I don't want to install 4 20-in tracks only to find out that they each only hold one tank. If that is the case, I will have to go with the AL track and cut to fit the locations I plan on using them. Does anyone have the adjustable tank holders mounted side-by-side in a track readily accessible? I would love to know the total length of track needed to mount two standard diameter tanks, side-by-side, with the adjustable tank holders. My next question would be how people go about mounting doubles to the track. I know the company makes a doubles rack that mounts to the track. I would love to know how big of a piece of track I would need to mount the doubles rack. Basically, will 20 inches of track be enough for all my needs or am I better off just going AL and cutting it down. I hope to have the boat home next week to go fishing so I will be able to take measurements and figure out what I need exactly so it can get ordered. Thanks again for all the help. Hopefully I didn't get too confusing in what I am trying to figure out.

My LDS can order all of the stuff for me but whatever I order, I will have to buy. I'd rather only buy what I know is going to fit and work.

If you speak with the folks at East Coast Plastics directly they are friendly and helpful.

I use the aluminum tracks, aluminum is no harder than the edge of the gunwale which on our Whaler, if you fall and hit your head there, there is no give. Just don't head butt them and you should be fine.

I do not mount doubles in them, the few times I use doubles on my boat, I lay the set down.

http://eastcoastplastics.com/

N

I use them on my liveaboard. I use the aluminum tracks, and the adjustable fold down tank holders. That way, if I have doubles or a rebreather onboard, I just fold down the racks and stuff fits. If you are carrying single 80's or HP 100's, you will easily get two on a 20" track. As nemrod says, the PVC are just as hard as the aluminum, but the aluminum will last forever, and the PVC will only last almost forever. Your anchoring system is more important than the material of the track. We welded ours on, but you don't have that option. Make sure you are through bolted, and not just screwed in. Screws will pull out. Use a large washer (like a fender washer) so you have the most load-bearing available for your bolts. Use a number 8 or 10 or 12 flat head stainless machine screw and counter sink the heads so that the racks can easily slide in and out for adjustment, or to remove the tank holder and install the beer holder :D. I am always amazed to see how folks have modified their roll controls to hold their scooters, doubles, rebreathers, poles, small children, etc. Have fun with it.

Frank

Thanks for the info! Now I just need to bring the boat home and look for mounting options. The Misses was sold when I showed her the picture of the wine glass holder...

Use a number 8 or 10 or 12 flat head stainless machine screw and counter sink the heads so that the racks can easily slide in and out for adjustment, or to remove the tank holder and install the beer holder :D.

#8 would be really wimpy for attaching Roll Control. The AL tracks
come with counter sunk holes IIRC, just get what ever fits. It was
either 3/16" or 1/4" IIRC.

Use aero nuts ("Nylock" is a brand name incorrectly used generically)
on the machine screws.

Be sure to allow for buddy's with 8" tanks.

Back
Top Bottom