Roll Control System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, I looked at some pics on my computer (since the boat isn't stored at home) and the spot I had in mind for mounting the track won't work. It is too narrow. The boat is not large so I have limited spots where I can mount the track. My other option is using the Pelican rack that holds 4 or 6 tanks. If I go that route, I need to figure out a way to mount the rack so it stays in place; yet, still have the ability to take the rack out when we are not diving. Next week I am going to take the boat out fishing so I will be able to come up with ideas. I am holding out hop with the roll control system but it may not be the best option. Thanks for the info regardless.

How about post pix of the boat? Maybe the rest of us have some ideas?

Or at least the make and model, and maybe we know somebody who has already solved the problem.

Pelican racks really don't work with BC's on. The tank can't go all the way into the rack.

I will post the few pics I have. The boat is a Triumph 191 Fish & Ski. The first pic is of the rear seats. That whole section folds down (look at the hinges) and creates a big flat rear deck area. Great for fishing and would be great for diving. The problem is the tan-ish fishing rod holder you see in the upper left hand corner of the 1st pic. That runs the whole side of the boat up to the main seats. Pic 2 shows the edge of the rod storage area and the seats. There isn't much room for any track. The other side of the boat is identical. The only possibility may be to mount the track below the rod storage door. I don't know how easy it would be to get to the back of that area to install nuts and bolts. I wish I had better pics but I don't yet. I am going to try to go fishing next week so I will be able to take more pics and measurements then. I would appreciate any input. Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0442.jpg
    IMG_0442.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 291
I've know a guy with the same (I think) boat. I'll see if I can get
him to chime in.

That would be great. The other location I was thinking is along the top edge of the rod storage compartment. I know the compartment opens up inside so I could easily install nuts. I could basically mount the track through the tan colored material, through to the inside of the compartment. The only thing I have to check is the height of that edge. I'm not sure if the track would be low enough to hold some HP100s. I hope to hear about your friend's success soon. Thanks.

I just did a quick browse through the thread and didn't see a mention of the two types. There is a stantard holder and one that folds down out of the way when not in use.

If I can mount the track, I will opt for the adjustable version. I believe these are the fold-down model. The price is similar and I'd rather be able to carry any size tank as opposed to just the "standard size." Once I find a track location, I should be good to go.

I got the boat home and took it to the LDS for a 2nd opinion. We came up with 4 spots to mount 24-in tracks. So, when we're done, we will be able to carry 8 tanks in either singles or doubles. The nice thing is the tracks will be mounted away from one another so each diver will be able to have "his spot" on the boat away from the others. Now I need to figure out the ladder situation...

I once owned a 20' Chris Craft center console which I used for diving, fishing and water skiing. I mounted a side mount tank holder system and soon discovered that it makes the stern of the boat awful crowded when gearing up, we usually had four people on the boat. So I removed the side mounts and replaced it with 2 Pelican Tank racks. Each rack is a six pack. I got a piece of marine grade 3/4 plywood and cut it to fit between the console and anchor well, covered it with marine grade indoor oudoor carpet and mounted the racks. When using it drop it in, when not using it take it out. Never had a problem with it bouncing around and used it for several years in Hawaii and Guam.

rrweather,

I have the AL tracks mounted end-to-end on each side of my boat (two 4ft tracks per side). Total tank storage is 16 steel tanks (8 per side). I used the adjustable/fold down brackets and adjusted them for steel tanks. Have been out in some pretty rough weather and have never had a tank come free.
I recommend using stainless steel hardware, flat head machine thread fasteners countersunk into the AL track. I used 4 #14 screws for each track with oversized fender washers and nylon lock nuts to secure. With four tank brackets in each track you still have room for the end caps and a cleat or cup holder. You can also cut the AL track to whatever length you desire for three or two tank brackets.

Roll control is a great system - use it. I have some photos in my profile gallery that might show how I mounted them. Or the next time I'm on my boat (this weekend) I'll take close-up photos and forward them to you, if you like.

Safe diving,
Wil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom