Rosie O'Donnell the Shark murderer. And Mark the Shark charters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBAdventures

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
"Mark the shark" should be charged with a crime. look at his website Miami Charter Fishing | Fort Lauderdale Charter Fishing | Miami Beach Fishing Charter Boat | Deep Sea Fishing | Sportfishing and you will see the senseless killings of hundreds of rare sharks. What a jerk.

Rosie O'Donnell went on a charter and murdered a great hammerhead with this guy. Now she is defending her cause. OF course these type of people are the ones that move to florida to pillage the ecosystems while promoting being eco friendly. Please leave feedback and send some hatemail to mark@marktheshark.com and www.twitter.com/rosie
Rosie%u00252BO%2527Donnell%2B-%2B%2BMark%2Bthe%2BShark.jpg

Really? You're going to make your second post (presumably, possibly your first post) to scubaboard as a "hate post"? While I personally wouldn't go shark fishing, is there something wrong with fishing with rod and reel for sharks on a "one off" basis?

This guy isn't running some trawler that nets hundreds or thousands of fish at a time, he's running a charter fishing boat. I wouldn't exactly call what he's doing ruining the ecosystem.

Other than shark fishing, what's your issue with this particular charter?

The needless killings of sharks? Its a national topic right now. From your reply you are either a Rosie fan, Shark killer or just a troll. And ive posted here before just not on this account.

There's no use of a prize shark other than stuffing, mounting, and having a tale to tell. I doubt any sport fisherman would go through the process of preparing the meat for consumption.
I also wouldn't call reel fishing one-on-one either. There's no chance for the fisherman to suffer any harm directly by the animal he's fishing. Seems like a one sided fight to me.

It's a waste, on top of the fact that sharks don't exactly breed like mice either.
I could say worse things about Rosie O'Donnell. Never really liked her or her PSA's.

Thank you G. The real problem that I have with this guy IS the killing of sharks. FJ wants me to have another argument against "MARK" so he can try to call me out again, bad debate tactic.

This guy has killed thousands of sharks, how is that not detrimental to the ecosystem?????!!!

Same type of logic is why Florida is in decline. People move here and rape the ecosystem for sport and then go home and turn on thier eco friendly lights.

and SHAAAAMMMEEE on me for hating on Rosie LMAO. I cant believe this 'scuba police board troll' attempted to flame my topic. heres how Donald Trump feels about Rosie [video=youtube;d32577Hom08]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d32577Hom08[/video]

ScubAventures: I have nothing against you or your post history, I have just found that many people who start off with posts like this one have a different grudge. My experience in the past may or may not be accurate for this thread, but it's what I have to go on. I don't know what other accounts you've used in the past but I also find that's a convenient way for people to spew their opinions without regard for the consequences, so unless you're willing to list your previous accounts you've posted under, you'll have to forgive me for not giving you the benefit of the doubt.

As for Rosie Odonnell, I don't give one rat's tail about her one way or the other. I also don't care whether or not you like her or what Donald Trump has to say about her.

My concern is the unsolicited and apparently unnecessarily hateful way you started this thread to attack someone else's livelihood which you apparently disagree with on the basis of politics. I find it incredibly distasteful and think good forums like scubaboard, which are so hard to find these days, are better served not having such posts. If you posted the same post with a different attitude, my response would have been different. Tomato, Tomahto, I guess.

As I said, I wouldn't go shark fishing but this guy really isn't decimating the population, even if it is just for sport rather than food. G1138, I think we'll have to agree to disagree about the likelihood of people preparing the sharks for consumption. Every sport fisherman I've ever met either donates the meat or eats it themselves. Granted, that's probably 100 different people in a group of thousands but it's a reasonable enough sample that I have to disagree with your assessment of motivations.

As for safety, I never said it was a "fair fight", just that charter fishing vessels simply aren't impacting the populations the way commercial fishing vessels do. Very rarely will you find any hunting type of sport where the hunter has any real chance of injury from the hunted... These guys aren't out there with nets grabbing sharks and finning them, just to leave the rest. Whether you agree with trophy/sport fishing or not, this simply isn't on the same par with the "ruining ecosystems" type of activity that commercial fleets engage in every day.

I still believe there's more motivation to this post than a dislike for "shark killing", either a hate for the captain or for Rosie Odonnell that goes beyond normal distaste for someone's chosen profession/hobby.

Please don't go flaming anyone on the board.
fjpatrum wasn't trying to start anything, he was merely stating his opinion. He's a good guy.

You're going to find a lot of differing opinions on scubaboard, whether environmental or mindset behind scuba diving. Try to keep your posts factual and not governed by emotion, otherwise your not going to get anywhere with your argument. Pretty much goes for any forum on the internet, from my experience.

As I said, I wouldn't go shark fishing but this guy really isn't decimating the population, even if it is just for sport rather than food. G1138, I think we'll have to agree to disagree about the likelihood of people preparing the sharks for consumption. Every sport fisherman I've ever met either donates the meat or eats it themselves. Granted, that's probably 100 different people in a group of thousands but it's a reasonable enough sample that I have to disagree with your assessment of motivations.

As for safety, I never said it was a "fair fight", just that charter fishing vessels simply aren't impacting the populations the way commercial fishing vessels do. Very rarely will you find any hunting type of sport where the hunter has any real chance of injury from the hunted... These guys aren't out there with nets grabbing sharks and finning them, just to leave the rest. Whether you agree with trophy/sport fishing or not, this simply isn't on the same par with the "ruining ecosystems" type of activity that commercial fleets engage in every day.

Very true on the fair fight side. But I say reel fishing is more one sided than say spearfishing or hunting bear or boar.

As for decimating the population, I believe it takes away from future populations. I'm a believer that taking the largest mature fish rather than the juvenilles hurts the population more. Because most fish take a long time to mature, so you hurt the long term population more if you only take the mature ones and you leave the juvenilles who still have yet to mature, still have to survive bycatch and predators, and then still have to successfully reproduce once they come of age. You're talking about years before the latter is even possible when you're discussing sharks.

If the Rosie picture is in fact several years old, then I don't have as much of an issue with it as I do her weak response to it. A simple- "yeah I know, but this was years ago and I would never do that now" would have gone a long way.

My problem is with the fishing operation. All one has to do is look at the Charter's website and see that they have no concept of environmental responsibility. They have photo's of children with landed sharks and target them as an audience. Marketing to long term future customers I guess. I doubt they will tell them there will be nothing to catch by the time they are adults. How is that for teaching the next generation about preservation? This sums up for me (From the website):

Kids Birthday Parties!!
KidsParties.jpgAll Kids Get FREE
Shark Jaw & Shark Tooth Necklace!

Take the kids fishing!

Several other pictures look like pregnant sharks, and one is of a world record Nurse Shark- yeah there's a real man-eater. I am not anti-fishing. But I am anti-exploitation and lack of environmental responsibility. This man and his operation personally disgust me. Unfortunately this also seems like the kind of operation that will welcome the bad press, as in "Any publicity is GOOD publicity".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom