Round 2, Oly SP-350 Me Versus the camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CheddarChick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok second dive in with my new camera. Happier this time. :D Took about 45 pix, and had a handful turn out ok. Still having issues with the viewfinder not being easy to see. Should I take off the black sunshade???

P5220263.jpg

P5220275.jpg

You're getting better.

Here's a quote from page 23 of the ADVANCED manual:

"If the camera is not used for 10 seconds or more, the monitor darkens slightly. If it is not used for 3 minutes or more, the monitor turns off automatically. Press the shutter button or the zoom button to turn the monitor on"

"To adjust brightness of the monitor,...(P. 115)"

Perhaps you are getting this darkening when you go to take a shot. I would make a habit to touch the shutter button momentarily when you see a photo subject. This will "wake up" the camera.

You might also check your brightness setting. Perhaps you have accidentally turned it down.

Leaving the sun shade on is usually helpful.

Good luck
David

That what I have always thought. But it seems hard to see when I am focusing to take a shot. Maybe it is just needing to get use to it.

Have you turned off the histogram feature on the viewfinder?

This feature makes the display appear with the same exposure value as the picture you are taking. So, if the exposure of the pic you are going to take is negative, then the viewfinder will be dark. If the exposure of the pic you are going to take is positive, the the viewfinder will be very bright.

I have turned this feature off so that the viewfinder has the same brightness regardless of the exposure of the picture I am going to take. This is especially important since the camera thinks that most of the pictures I take under water are going to be under exposed since it does not take my strobe into account. This was causing my viewfinder to be so dark that I could not see anything. I will bet that is your problem also. I don't have my camera here with me so I can't give you the exact menu entry. When I get home I will find it and give you the exact key sequences to get there.

Here are the key presses to get to the histogram feature. I was in Manual Mode when I jotted down these key presses. I think they are the same regardless of what Mode you are in, but just thought I would mention that.

Menu button, Right arrow to Mode Menu, Down arrow three times to Setup tab, Right arrow to get to option list, Up arrow twice through the option list, Up arrow again to get to the second to the bottom option (looks like a bar graph), Right arrow to get the option settings, arrow to the OFF setting, OK button, Left arrow to Setup tab, and then press the OK button.

You can test this on land before you get in the water. Before changing the setting, put the camera in a mode like you would if you were taking pics underwater. Go in a little darker room and take a picture. Is the screen hard to see? Then change the setting and see if it is better afterwards.

Yippe!!! Help at last, Thanks Narced...Hope this does it.

Back
Top Bottom