Royal Caribbean Destroys Acres of Pristine Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drew Sailbum

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Cue up Britney Spears.... Oops I did it Again.

Just as we were nearing completion from Carnival Magic's anchor fiasco, here we go again.

OK.. Different cruise line and not initial indications that the local pilot had anything to do with it. So maybe not exactly the same.

Deja vu: Cruise ship anchor destroys George Town reef

December 8, 2015 the anchor chain of the cruise ship Zenith hit the reef between Eden Rock and Don Foster's Dive. The MV Zenith is owned and operated by CDF Croisières de France, which is a subsidiary of Pullmantur Cruises. Pullmantur Cruises is owned by Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd.

Sounds like carnival was never held accountable for the first incident, which occurred where the ship wasn't supposed to be. This occurred where the ship was supposed to be, so I'd expect more of the not being held accountable to continue.

Since Harrison Ford is reprising one of his old roles soon ... "Didn't we just leave this party?"

Ugh. I was somewhat morbidly fascinated to see the process of the chain cheese-grating the reef structure as it shifted, having seen the aftermath at the Magic site last year ... I imagine the damage pattern is going to look much the same. I was cringing every time I saw that chain shift and just shred the reef skeleton.

Anyone know how far this is from the Magic site? And how the hell did this get to be an "approved anchoring area?"

Clearly the ship may have been in an approved area... but its anchor chain wasn't where it was supposed to be.

Per Cayman law damaging a reef by "anchor, chains, or any other means ANYWHERE in Cayman waters" is an offence. Period. No exceptions.

"PENALTIESViolation of any of these laws is an offence carrying amaximum penalty of Cl$500,000 fine and one year injail. Upon conviction, forfeiture of the vessel or otherequipment may also be ordered."

Yeah. Fine them and seize their vessel.

Not holding my breath.

well since they are going to dredge the Eden Rock and Devils Grotto area to make room for more cruise ships I don't think they care.

Tough to watch.

Apologies if this isint the correct sub! This is disgusting, Royal Carribean liner "Zenith" anchored directly on Don Fosters and Eden Rock in Grand Cayman...

[video]https://youtu.be/U3l31sXJJ0c[/video]

Is there any recourse or fine levied on these ships in events like this?

It's not on the ship as they're piloted into port there - it's on the Cayman Port Authority. Who apparently allowed it according to the narrative.
this was a designated anchorage zone and they were given permission to drop anchor.

Something similar happened recently with a Carnival ship out front of Fosters. Carnival put up big money to fund the reef restoration.

Sadly it's all a moot point now - this is the same general area: Cayman Islands Green Lights $150 Million Cruise Port Development | TravelPulse

What they don't cover over with the pier will either be dredged or silted out during the dredging most likely. It's sad that a major dive destination sold out to the cruise industry.

CI-New%20port%20rendering.jpg

If you're not familiar with the port - this is basically what it looks like now. The two piers are the existing cruise terminal - all ships are tendered in. You can see the same blue-roofed buildings in both shots. Eden Rock is located just about where the nose of the left-most ship is pointing in the 2nd shot. So it looks like it's going to be paved over.

Aerial-Photo-of-George-To-011.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely disgusting and people's appetite for cruising only increases. It's all I can do to control myself when posters come on the forum and ask where they should dive on their in port days of their itineraries. :( How does a diver reconcile diving and the cruise industry?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom