Rubber Chuck Taylors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FuzzyNutz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the market for new boots to fit my Hollis F1's, after not really being happy with the SeaSoft Sunrays I've had for a few years (I've rolled my ankle in them more than a few times and the molded sole will kind of cut into my foot after a few days of diving). I couldn't decide between Fourth Element Amphibian boots, some sort of rock boot, or Converse All Stars (never worn a pair in my life, but I've seen them mentioned many times on the boards).

Just for the heck of it, I took my fins to the shoe store today and tried them on with some chucks. They actually fit pretty awesome! (size 13 shoe with XXL fins). They didn't have high-tops in my size or in black, so I came home and looked to order them. Cruising around the Converse site, I found they make them in a version covered in rubber! (there appears to be a plain rubber version out there as well, perhaps an older model? but the ones on the official site are canvas backed rubber).

Anyway, I just ordered a pair! It'll be a few months until I get them wet and give feedback, but considering so many people like the regular pair, thought I'd mention this style exists too! I would think it'd be a little more rugged for the diving/salt water atmosphere, and hold up better to the abuse of the fin's foot pocket… here's to wishful thinking!

Converse - Chuck Taylor All Star Rubber - Black - Hi Top

And right now they're on sale for $35 (regular $65), and there's an additional 25% off for their Spring sale… so $26! I may still pick up some boots, but for curiosity's sake, i just have to try it for $26.

I forgot to grab my neoprene socks yesterday morning, but we just had a blizzard 2 days ago, so I was wearing thick wool socks (I work outside). I'm a 12 or 13 shoe (depending on brand), the 12's were good with normal socks, a little tight with wool, but the 13's hit the mark. I'd say the Chucks fit the fin very similar to the Sunrays. It went in the pocket a very good amount, no gap to the top, and very small gaps on the sides - I shook my foot around pretty hard and it barely moved side to side… it took work… that was my biggest concern with the chucks and why I brought the fin, I am not at all worried about it now.

Most of my destinations have been to warmer water climates, so I'm not really planning on putting more than a 2mm sock in there (and I'm the kind of guy who usually dives in just my jammers). People use them with drysuits and I saw a post where a guy uses 7mm socks… he said the shoe looks stuffed, but it works. After making my first post, I did take the other advice I read and got a pair of "lock laces"… looks like they should make the lacing process much much easier.

When they get here, I'll take them to the pool and update how they performed… next trip won't be until ScubaBoard invades the Philippines.

Back
Top Bottom