Rubber spacer fell out from inside the wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

elgoog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi -

While cleaning my wing a few days ago, I had it fully inflated and heard something rattling inside it. I deflated the wing and located the object which felt flat and soft(ish). I unscrewed the OPV and gently nudged the object towards it and pulled it out from there. It was a rubber spacer with the following approx measurements - OD 45mm, ID 26mm, thickness 3mm. It also has a groove on the outer edge which looks like it fits in a way that it sandwiches a small internal flange(??). I've attached some photos - the one that has the OPV is just to give an idea of the size.
The wing seems to function fine without it - no leaks, inflation (manual and power) and OPV work fine. This is an LCD30 wing.
Thoughts? I can take it to my LDS (who are DSS dealers) or mail it back to Tobin but am wondering if it's something that can be easily identified and re-installed.

Thanks in advance,
elgoog
IMG_20150904_220756.jpgIMG_20150904_221321.jpgIMG_20150904_221332.jpg

Yep, calling Tobin is first order of business after the holiday weekend. I don't have any diving in the next couple of weeks so am not in any rush to try to fix this myself. I was just curious about what the part was so I could try to figure out how it came loose.

Hi -

While cleaning my wing a few days ago, I had it fully inflated and heard something rattling inside it. I deflated the wing and located the object which felt flat and soft(ish). I unscrewed the OPV and gently nudged the object towards it and pulled it out from there. It was a rubber spacer with the following approx measurements - OD 45mm, ID 26mm, thickness 3mm. It also has a groove on the outer edge which looks like it fits in a way that it sandwiches a small internal flange(??). I've attached some photos - the one that has the OPV is just to give an idea of the size.
The wing seems to function fine without it - no leaks, inflation (manual and power) and OPV work fine. This is an LCD30 wing.
Thoughts? I can take it to my LDS (who are DSS dealers) or mail it back to Tobin but am wondering if it's something that can be easily identified and re-installed.

Thanks in advance,
elgoog
View attachment 215996View attachment 215997View attachment 215998

That's the sealing gasket. It is clamped between the "T" nut and the "Outer Hex Nut" Both the bladder and the outer shell should be between the flanges of the gasket. The only way to get these out is to unscrew the outer hex nut from the inner T nut. With a

One of the reasons we recommend *not* removing the fitting on any wing.

Your wing will leak, maybe slowly, but it will leak without this gasket properly installed.

It's not particularly easy to install these and the fittings require special wrenches. You have to get gasket over both the penetration in the bladder and the outer shell, and then insert the "T" nut through the gasket without any wrinkles. It gets easier after the first few hundred.....

Given that various wings and BC's use several different schemes for sealing the fitting to the bladders I can't recommend you have the LDS work on it. They may, or may not know how this style fitting assembles.

Best bet is to send us the wing and the parts and we will reassemble it.

Tobin

One of the reasons we recommend *not* removing the fitting on any wing.
Last night was the first time ever that I removed any of the fittings on the wing. Specifically, I unscrewed the OPV to pull out the gasket. The only other thing I can think of is that my LDS removed the elbow when they put in a longer hose and didn't put it back together properly (assuming the gasket is at the elbow)

That's the sealing gasket. It is clamped between the "T" nut and the "Outer Hex Nut"
Is this at the elbow or the OPV? I'm guessing the elbow based on my theory of when it may have gotten dislodged. If not, any other reason you can think of that the gasket could have come loose? Just trying to avoid this happening again in the future.

Best bet is to send us the wing and the parts and we will reassemble it.
I'll get it shipped out either today or early next week. Sent you a PM about the shipping details.

Thanks,
elgoog

Last night was the first time ever that I removed any of the fittings on the wing. Specifically, I unscrewed the OPV to pull out the gasket. The only other thing I can think of is that my LDS removed the elbow when they put in a longer hose and didn't put it back together properly (assuming the gasket is at the elbow)

Is this at the elbow or the OPV? I'm guessing the elbow based on my theory of when it may have gotten dislodged. If not, any other reason you can think of that the gasket could have come loose? Just trying to avoid this happening again in the future.

I'll get it shipped out either today or early next week. Sent you a PM about the shipping details.

Thanks,
elgoog

Good reason *Not* to unqualified people modify your equipment.

I'll report what we find once we recover your wing.

Tobin

What we found after inspecting your wing:

There was a sealing grommet correctly installed at both the OPV and Fill hose fittings. These fittings and the sealing grommet use the same three piece assembly, inner T nut, sealing grommet and outer hex nut.

I would suspect that the "extra" sealing grommet was the result of somebody disassembling one of the fittings and loosing the sealing grommet inside the bladders. The good news it the grommet is unlikely to cause any harm inside the bladder.

Your wing is on it's way back to you. You should expect it Tuesday or Wednesday.

Tobin

Thank you very much for the quick turnaround!!

You are most welcome.

We do try to get repairs in and out of the shop. I'm a diver too and it's no fun having your gear lost in space.

Glad it was a easy fix.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom