Rubber wing locators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The rubber locators are always coming out on my wing plate so I'm thinking of replacing them with plastic bolt-nuts from DivegearExpress

Backplate, Harness and Wing Systems (BPW) by Dive Rite - Dive Gear Express

part number DX-609002 assembly screws.

Any problem with doing that?

If you have specific DSS gear related questions I'd suggest contacting me before making a change. The most reliable means is via email.

tobin@deepseasupply.com

The rubber locators are *not* intended to secure your wing to your plate. We provide a couple video's on our website detailing how to manage your wing.

Look here. https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?page=video

One of the key advantages of the DSS system is the ability to quickly and easily remove your wing from the backplate. This greatly reduces the chances of damaging your wing by dropping the back plate on it during transport, cleanup or storage.

Bolting your wing to your plate effectively defeats this feature.

We don't get many wings returned, but a high percentage of those returned with bladders damaged due to dropped plates have the rubber locators removed and we can see the impression of bolt heads in the rubber grommets................

Tobin

I had the same problem with them pulling out when I was changing tanks. I went a different (less recommended) way I guess.

I would encourage you to review the video's linked above. With a bit of practice managing the wing when changing tanks is not difficult.

Leaving your wing bolted onto your backplate is not a good idea.

Consider a set of doubles. When the dive is over the plate is removed, the wing is removed and the cylinders are off to the fill station. The wing is not left wrapped around the backplate. Our system allows for the same easy separation of the wing from the plate. Dropping your plate edgewise on the wing is a near certain way to damage the bladder. Take a look at that video too.

Tobin

Tobin, are you saying the wing should be removed from the plate after each day's diving? It's held to the backplate with the two tank bands (I have the single tank LCD30 wing) and I like to leave the system assembled and ready for next dive.

I think I will test the wing before diving by inflating it to make sure it has no pinch damage.

I would encourage you to review the video's linked above. With a bit of practice managing the wing when changing tanks is not difficult.

Leaving your wing bolted onto your backplate is not a good idea.

Consider a set of doubles. When the dive is over the plate is removed, the wing is removed and the cylinders are off to the fill station. The wing is not left wrapped around the backplate. Our system allows for the same easy separation of the wing from the plate. Dropping your plate edgewise on the wing is a near certain way to damage the bladder. Take a look at that video too.

Tobin

I fixed my problem with sidemount.

I keep the bp/w setup for the rare times I want to use it. It's good gear though don't get me wrong. I just wish I had a zipper in the wing so I could patch a hole from when an excited dm jammed my rig into the tank rack.

Tobin, are you saying the wing should be removed from the plate after each day's diving? It's held to the backplate with the two tank bands (I have the single tank LCD30 wing) and I like to leave the system assembled and ready for next dive.

I think I will test the wing before diving by inflating it to make sure it has no pinch damage.

Please take a look at the videos. The cambands only hold the wing on when there is a tank in place. The cambands fold up and pass through the "windows" in the wing. There is no need to unlace the cambands to remove the wing. That's the whole point of our system. You can pull the wing off the plate in about 20 seconds with no tools and no loose parts.

The more time your wing spends wrapped around 6 lbs of hard edged stainless steel the great the chances of a pinch flat. When I travel my fins and back plate are in the bottom of my gear bag. My instruments and wing are on top.

Tobin

One of my rubber grommets tore out as well and thought I would need another. But as Tobin has said, they really aren't necessary except as a guide for placing the wing onto the BP. I do separate each after every day of diving and it literally takes seconds to do so. It also packs more efficiently separated. With that said, Tobin should think about the amount of people that have issues with the design of the grommets...just saying.��

One of my rubber grommets tore out as well and thought I would need another. But as Tobin has said, they really aren't necessary except as a guide for placing the wing onto the BP. I do separate each after every day of diving and it literally takes seconds to do so. It also packs more efficiently separated. With that said, Tobin should think about the amount of people that have issues with the design of the grommets...just saying.��

The wing is designed to be pulled out after diving, but in my case I have XS Scuba trim pockets threaded on the top tank band and pulling these through the wing openings is too difficult. I think it could be done, but I don't want to struggle with my gear, so I decided to leave the wing with the plate, and in view of Tobin's warnings to take extra care to avoid the pinch flat and to test the wing before diving. If I do get a pinch tear I'll reconsider.

Please take a look at the video's on the DSS website. There is a on covering mount the wing and proper method to insert the rubber locators. If you push them through from the wing side as opposed to pull them through from the plate side they will last far longer. If you need replacements send me an email at info@deepseasupply.com

Tobin

Back
Top Bottom