Rubbermaid tubs for carrying gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hex92

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I keep my gear in a rubbermaid tub at the house and I bring it with me when I go to the quarry. Its so much easier to deal with than some collapsable (sp?) bag. I like being able to see all of my gear right there in front of me. I have seen people on dive boats with smaller tubs. I bought a smaller one the other day to try out next weekend, but I am paranoid that I will get to the boat and it will be too big to fit under the bench. :sorry19z:

Anyone else out there use one of these on dive boats? What size (in gallons or dimensions) have worked for you?

It's gonna depend on the boat. On the Cypress Charters
boats, I can bring a humongous tub, and it will fit no
problem. On the Monterey Express, no tubs allowed (no
space), so I bring a dive bag. On my own boat, it doesn't
matter, there are fin racks and tank racks. I'm already
suited up. Mask and computer go in a fin pocket.
CAMERA gets a small tub with 2" closed cell foam in the
bottom.

hex92:
I keep my gear in a rubbermaid tub at the house and I bring it with me when I go to the quarry. Its so much easier to deal with than some collapsable (sp?) bag. I like being able to see all of my gear right there in front of me. I have seen people on dive boats with smaller tubs. I bought a smaller one the other day to try out next weekend, but I am paranoid that I will get to the boat and it will be too big to fit under the bench. :sorry19z:

Anyone else out there use one of these on dive boats? What size (in gallons or dimensions) have worked for you?

The rubbermaid tubs are great but they just take up too much space. I used to bring the tub on my boat but with a few divers it's too cramped. I now use just the bag because I can repack my gear with a certain measure of protection but not take up too much space.

I still use the tub at home as a drip catch for rinsed gear.

--Matt

You could always throw a mesh gear bag in the tub just in case the tub won't fit on the boat.
Ber :lilbunny:

Yeah, captains seem to hate them and other divers get annoyed. I probably have too much stuff. I have problems with getting my stuff into a mesh bag. I haven't bothered to spring for a large mesh dive duffle bag.

If space is tight, I use the tub to bring my stuff aboard, unload and leave the tub at the dock. I keep my stuff in smaller color coded mesh bags - stuff I'll use immediately, stuff for repair, etc., so it's not all over the place. Seems to work ok and doesn't get in the way. It takes me a little longer to get on/off, but that doesn't bother me.

I love to have the rubbermaid tubs in the van to help sort my gear, and store it, but they dont go on the boat. When I dive off of boats in NE, I am usually using doubles. I carry them onto the boat fully rigged with BP, W, regs, and can lite all attached. I have my drysuit and drysuit underwear in one bag, and a mesh bag for fins, and mask and spares kit. Thats usually all I need.

Thanks for the input. I can't wait to jump in the ocean next week!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom